Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

winter training

• 05-11-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

hi

just wondering about the winter ahead. The only chance of getting out are in the evenings & weekends & just debating with myself is it worth going out the winter nights on the bike or go running.

The bike, takes a while to warm up & pretty much always come in cold where as the running you warm up pretty quickly & dont really get cold during or after. Although, i do hope to get out on the bike at the weekends for a spin & maybe keep the running to during the week

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Your name is your answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Or not. I don't really know.

I hate running though.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

not a huge fan of it either but just trying to weigh it up & your right with it in my name. gotta do something though or you would go crazy. maybe aim for a longish cycle at the weekend or that turbo trainer, but think id prefer running to that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Remember its amazing how much good a few spins during the week will do you. You dont need to be hitting high distances, a few km during the week with a longer weekend spin will pay huge dividends. Also it will keep you in the saddle so on 'good' evenings you may surprize yourself at how much you will achieve without the procrastination;).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you're coming home cold on the bike, then you're not wearing enough. Even on the wet nights I'd always be quite warm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Eros_Panties

hi

just wondering about the winter ahead. The only chance of getting out are in the evenings & weekends & just debating with myself is it worth going out the winter nights on the bike or go running.

Any thoughts?

I've been thinking much the same myself lately. Came to a head today when I was heading uphill towards the south circular road and a gust of wind almost brought the bike to a stop :D. I love cycling in the summer but in the winter months it can be a hard auld slog.
    I recently started jogging and it strikes me as a handy alternative to cycling during the worst days of winter.

although I have to cycle every day for college and work anyway so I guess there's no escape from the winter winds. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'm back out running again, anywhere between 5 & 15k one to three times a week, plus an hours football. That will hopefully keep me ticking over the spins at the weekend.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its dark by the time I'm home in the evenings so that leaves only the weekends, I do running during the week and if I get the chance I do cycling at the weekend. Time is always an issue :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Slightly O/T

Should you knock the training down significantly for the winter and ramp up in spring?
    That's seems to be school of thought - however on the other hand you hear some people talking abut winter base miles.

Obviously dependent on your level/goals but just wondering what people's general view is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I train at night ... ( after 6pm) twice a week. I always prefered it to the turbo. I don't mind the rain and wind so much at night for some reason. I guess it depends on the individual.You can also try a bit of spinning. I only discovered it his year and I really like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Any thoughts?

Have you any possibility of cycling to/from work? I find that doing that is a great form of "training" and I can do what I like when I get home.

I find that on the days that I don't cycle to/from work I lack the motivation to go out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marcofan

as already mentioned you should definately not be coming back from a spin cold. ideally for a day time spin you should feel a bit chilly as you start a spin and warm up to an acceptable level with 10 minutes, but this is different at night as the temperature will be falling a lot quicker so you should be "snug" going out the door and if you over heat you can always undo the zipp a bitif you are racing next year you should definately be training at night on the bike during the week. if you are cycling just for fitness or to do sportives its not a big a deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

A few observations.
    I am following Joe Friels training bible (like most other people). Depending on the timing of your goals now maybe the time for building endurance and general fitness. He suggest increasing focus on intensity after 8-12 weeks of general fitness building.

I have recently acquired a turbo. Its not unenjoyable. Key to passing the time is to have a structured workout plan. Break the hour down to individual blocks of minutes to practice various exercises. Helps time fly.
    I don't hate it yet.

I recently signed up to spinning classes at Winning Solutions. First class was this week. Now while I more than likely should not be doing intense strength work this early in winter training it was nonetheless very very enjoyable. Now let me say I struggled and was absolutely FUBAR during and afterwards. But it was great.

This time of year my training runs on the bike are 90min minimum to 3hrs max. Again you get used to the weather. Once you accept that a head wind slows you, there is a satisfaction to relaxing into a cadence hunkering down and cycling into a fierce headwind and rain. A
    Accept it, pick easier gears, and don't fight it.

Also when out wear layers. Coming home cold is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

You could buy an exercise bike or turbo (+ possibly and extra TV) for your weekday training.
    Some exercise bikes are quiet enough so you can hear the TV.
    I think it is ideal and much safer, for the dark evenings and frosty weather, especially if we get a repeat of last Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

I think it's working out nice for me as I've only just got my bike, so doing up to 30km to start with both weekend days, and hoping that by the end of winter I will be in some way fitter for next year. At least it is giving me saddle time. Would be nice to start the spring being able to manage 50km+ in one go. I am not experienced enough to offer advice, but the one thing I will say is enjoy it - if you don't enjoy it then there is no point.

Advertisement