Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters of Theology?

• 05-11-2010 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is aware of a remotely affordable masters of theology/divinity program that is mainly distance education that does not require one to be a priest? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

An affordable Masters that is long distance? That's quite a list!

Here is a list from the appropriately named site theology.ie. I don't think it is exhaustive or particularly up-to-date. Maynooth might be your best bet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The I.B.I. Are launching a distance learning Degree and masters next summer. As it stands you can do a part time (One day a week) course with them. Might be worth your time researching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Wow!!! Quite the choice - I had no idea. Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It might be worth sending PDN a PM. I could also put you in touch with a current student of Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I did my MTh the old fashioned way - lots of hours in classrooms arguing the toss with lecturers and other students. Btw, this doesn't have to be a full time basis - I did mine while pastoring a church, putting in a few hours a week taxi driving to supplement my income, and helping raise two young children.

To be honest I think the distance learning option seems attractive, but I found it to be ultimately unsatisfying. I tried a few such programmes over the years and they just didn't provide the kind of learning experience that you get from bouncing your ideas off other people in a class.

Also be careful. There are a lot of distance learning options out there whose 'degrees' aren't worth the paper they're written on.

All in all I think part time study somewhere like Maynooth, IBI, or the Irish School of Ecumenics at TCD are much better alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hi Dewdropdeb,

Are you based in Dublin? The 'Priory' in Tallaght, run a fairly decent half distance learning - half attendance, but neither totally necessary after registration, it's up to the 'student' to be serious too. It's well worth looking into...

..It's very in depth and challenging, very hard to get the grades, but defo worth looking into if it meets your ambitions and requirements - and no you don't need to become a Priest..lol...

lmaopml - I did look at them as well, thanks, definitely an option. I <3 Dominicans too. Would love to become a lay Dominican, but seems like unless you're in Dublin or Cork you're SOL on that one. :(

I think either way though, I'll have to do the postgrad diploma at Maynooth first just to get into a program and get myself up to speed. I have Latin, but will probably need to get in Greek or Hebrew at some point before starting, maybe the Open U.

PDN - Thanks for all the advice, I have two young kids as well, so that has to be taken into account! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice for someone interested in beginning studies in Theology? I am living abroad at the moment, so distance learning with an Irish institute or college sounds appealing. But I have no idea how much it might cost. I already have a degree in an unrelated field, if that makes any difference in applying as a mature student etc. And I suppose doing it online would be a lot more affordable. This is genuinely something that's on my mind, having developed an interest in the subject over the past year. I'm in my mid-twenties, and haven't really thought about what type of qualification I want, or what I want to do with that qualification when I'm done, but I would love to have the chance to study this out of a deep interest in it. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

marty1985 wrote: »
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice for someone interested in beginning studies in Theology? I am living abroad at the moment, so distance learning with an Irish institute or college sounds appealing. But I have no idea how much it might cost. I already have a degree in an unrelated field, if that makes any difference in applying as a mature student etc. And I suppose doing it online would be a lot more affordable. This is genuinely something that's on my mind, having developed an interest in the subject over the past year. I'm in my mid-twenties, and haven't really thought about what type of qualification I want, or what I want to do with that qualification when I'm done, but I would love to have the chance to study this out of a deep interest in it. Any ideas?
    http://www.prioryinstitute.com/

marty1985 wrote: »

I'm kind of in the same boat. Have an MBA and BA in Classical Studies. Maynooth do a 1 year post grad diploma which basically preps you for the masters. Don't think I'd want to do another BA tbh, so the diploma is looking good!

• Advertisement

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Have an MBA and BA in Classical Studies. Maynooth do a 1 year post grad diploma which basically preps you for the masters. Don't think I'd want to do another BA tbh, so the diploma is looking good!

I've a BSc in something. So is there any way I could do a theology related diploma/masters whatever without a background in it, or do ya need a theology degree to start with?

Can I do the diploma at Maynooth? I've no money though... that could be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thanks, but I'd rather scratch out my eyes!

I think distance learning can work for shorter course, but only the very dedicated and devoted students can follow a degree or other advanced course by distance learning.

For me, I'd need the uni setting to actually follow a programme of study. But since I been to uni once already, I won't be going again unless some rich benefactor wants to sponsor me for the good of the Universal Church...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭zoomtard

I can heartily recommend Maynooth. I am training for the Presbyterian ministry there at the moment and my wife is doing the HDip in theology. You do not need Greek or Hebrew to do their Masters programme and in fact, because of the excellent, community-culture that exists in the college, they would probably let you just take those courses if it interested you. They have a flippin' brilliant language expert at the moment, a chap called Jonathan Kearney.

That having been said, the Irish Bible Institute, which is an evangelical multi-denominational college, is a terrific place as well. It has all the plus points of Maynooth in terms of a real community culture and passionate, committed staff. But it also has a great focus on applied theology which would perhaps serve lay ministry better than the academic route.

My problem is that I've already done one degree, and so the powers that be won't give me another student loan to do another degree. It's pretty unfair. :pac:

Advertisement