Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economists, A question

Options
  • 05-11-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Is now the time to buy Euro with your saved NZ dollars?

I have 8k NZD sitting in my bank account and I am going home next year. Should I sent it to my AIB savings account now?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

No harm at all in quitting while you're ahead. But I would give it another 6 months to a year myself. The Eurozone is a mixed pot of the Northern countries who seem to be recovering pretty well and the Southern and Western countries who are still burdened by debt and imposing harsh cutbacks.

Aussie seems very stable on the other hand and the NZ dollar can be expected to tag along with it. Australia's exports of minerals and NZ's agricultural exports have served their currencies well and demand from Asian markets keeps on growing. The Aussie reserve bank increased rates the other day too, UBank give 6% on an on-call savings account, I think you'll get around 3% in New Zealand.

I wouldn't expect much of a turnaround in the next 6 months anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How long is a piece of string?

However now would be a good time to convert from AUD/NZD to Euro IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

No harm at all in quitting while you're ahead. But I would give it another 6 months to a year myself. The Eurozone is a mixed pot of the Northern countries who seem to be recovering pretty well and the Southern and Western countries who are still burdened by debt and imposing harsh cutbacks.

Aussie seems very stable on the other hand and the NZ dollar can be expected to tag along with it. Australia's exports of minerals and NZ's agricultural exports have served their currencies well and demand from Asian markets keeps on growing. The Aussie reserve bank increased rates the other day too, UBank give 6% on an on-call savings account, I think you'll get around 3% in New Zealand.

I wouldn't expect much of a turnaround in the next 6 months anyway.

Yeah, I quit while is was ahead and sent it home. I will be pi$$ed off if it goes much higher but no where near as pi$$ed as if it falls away. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Advertisement