Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4000 new bike spaces for Dublin

• 05-11-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭

Looks like DCC are considering providing more bike parking facilities in the city - http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1104/bikes.html

They reckon between 3000 and 4000 are required "on the street". Although the chances of them actually following through with the provision of the facilities they reckon are required has to be pretty slim/long, long term (despite their success in providing a whole 25 cyclehoops recently), it's at least an ambitious plan to provide for cyclists.

Taking into account that they expect an increase in workplaces providing secure cycle parking, it's hard to see that the proposed level is actually necessary. I've never seen the Drury Street facility close to being full to capacity, despite an initial belief that it provided secure bike parking.

Maybe the emphasis should be on quality over quantity. The 200 spaces in Drury Street would surely be more popular if there was a better standard of security provided. Increasing awareness of the facility would also seem to be an obvious first step.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there was that comment that one of the reasons why DublinBikes took off was that maybe the most off putting thing for cyclists was the lack of secure parking / high theft rate of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

The reason the Drury Street park is underused is the location. One of the reasons people cycle is that it is much easier to park close to where you need to go. I know if I was going to Grafton Street, or say Grogan's on South William Street, I would lock my bike to a lamppost or one of those roadside bike stands; I wouldn't leave it in the Drury Street carpark simply because it would require a bit of walking to where I wanted to go. I'd rather cycle there. There is even a bike stand round the corner from Drury Street outside the pharmacy opposite Break for the Border. The problem with it is location. I don't think it is much more secure either. I mean, leaving your bike on a busy street with lots of people walking past is just as safe, in that you'd hope theives wouldn't steal a bike when loads of people are walking by (and although we know that isn't really the case, the fact remains the theif isn't to know the true owner of the bike isn't that 17 stone dude with the tatoos and piercings walking towards him).

Advertisement