Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2011 - Location Location Location??

Options
  • 05-11-2010 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here, i went on a J1 last summer to Huntington Beach Southern California and loved every minute of it, got to see all of Cali and even Vegas. This year I cant decide whether to go back to Huntington as i made a lot of american friends who will sort job and accommodation for me or to try somewhere completely different??

Iv looked through this forum at different ideas.
    1. Huntington Beach: to go back here again, work for say 6 weeks and then do a lot of travelling.
    2. Hawaii: sounds appealing but some say its quiet, expensive and hard to get jobs.
    3. Florida (Miami): also sounds appealing some say the weather is unpredictable and its also quite expensive with jobs hard to come by.

Looking for peoples advice here on past experiences. Also if anyone has any unusual or alternative J1 ideas that they did, Colorado sounds interesting, Alaska? Canada?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Portland, Oregon?
    Or how about upstate New York, say Buffalo?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

My brother went to Miami and didn't like it at all, he moved on fairly lively and went to Mertle Beach. Said Miami was expensive and full of old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MunsterMan89

couldnt agree more with civilian target, Buffalo all the way. I know a lad who was there a couple of years ago for a couple of days and loved it...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lukiej

anyone got any info on hawaii?? jobs and accom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 09627685

anyone thinkin of headin montauk for summer/ anyone been there in the last few years? if so whats the story with jobs, accom, being under 21 etc..thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Hey guys,

Going on a j1 this summer but not sure where yet. There are 6 girls going and we want to stick to the East coast. Out of the 6 of us only one person will be turning 21 while we are there. Would you recommend Ocean City for a J1? Is there a good Irish presence there and good house parties?

Would appreciate if you could get back to me thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yo_yo

Hey guys goin on a J1 with two other girls and we have no clue where to go :(
    original plan was to hit wildwood in NJ but apparently its not great...
    thinkin of either
    *Miami
    *Ocean City
    *NYC... (probably just outside, somewhere like long island or montauk)
    *Chicago...
    has anyone been to any of these places? or know anything about them?? id really appreciate some advice... SO confused

Chicago, it has to be, such a cool place. Loads to do, obviously drinking will play a big part and drink is as cheap as chips in chicago generally with deals everywhere, more expensive downtown on weekends especially. Go to some baseball games, I hated baseball until i actually went to see the chicago cubs play, its a great day out and all the bars around wrigley field are absolutely hopping on game days, great atmosphere.

Weather will be generally very humid with more nice days than not, head to the beach. Even strolling around downtown is great, for me it was just as amazing just looking around on my last day as it was my first. Go up the willis or hancock towers for some amazing views. You have to go to Kingston Mines, its a blues club on Halsted, a modest entry fee and ggod drink deals and go to the burrito shop afterwards next door, unbelievable burritos.

Have a wander around millenium park, some cool stuff to see there, if you are lucky there might be some free live music on. The art institute is another must, i think its free in on thursdays if i remember correctly. Big fireworks display down on navy pier on wed & sat which are worth a look. There is way more as well to do as well....

Amazing city for architecture, you can get boat tours i think, i never bothered and just walked around for hours myself.

Thats all for now, cant wait to go back myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Have to agree on the Chicago bit, went out for a couple of weeks holidays to friends on a J1 there last summer.

Its a lovely city, fairly easy to get around, one of the better cities for jobs. There's an area north of the city where J1's usually lives, area is safe, full of youth and decent nightlife. Loads of bars/nightclubs have offers on depending on the day of cheap drink. J1's will generally infest these places on whichever nights said offers are on. Weather is lovely too without being over warm. Plenty to do also for those not just heading out for the piss up.

You can't really go wrong with Chicago. Have no idea where i'm heading myself this summer. Would love some advice on Ocean City or a possible pipedream...Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Have to agree on the Chicago bit, went out for a couple of weeks holidays to friends on a J1 there last summer.

Its a lovely city, fairly easy to get around, one of the better cities for jobs. There's an area north of the city where J1's usually lives, area is safe, full of youth and decent nightlife. Loads of bars/nightclubs have offers on depending on the day of cheap drink. J1's will generally infest these places on whichever nights said offers are on. Weather is lovely too without being over warm. Plenty to do also for those not just heading out for the piss up.

You can't really go wrong with Chicago. Have no idea where i'm heading myself this summer. Would love some advice on Ocean City or a possible pipedream...Vegas

Vegas is a tip for more than a couple of days... Jobs are hard to come by if you don't want to work on the strip, and it's expensive. I'm sure it'd be better if you knew your way around though... Ocean city sounds fantastic though, I've heard great things about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ellie77

Headin' on J1 starting off in NYC and hopefully moving down to Ocean City, heard great reports!

Anyone with a similar plan?!

elle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cherrybomb!

lukiej,
    decided 2 head 2 huntington this summer after reading ur post!!just wondering if you could give info on where you stayed thers 6/7 of us going over at the start of june thinking of staying in breakers??just want to know the areas that are best to stay near enough to the beach and reteraunts etc but don't mind biking a bit!were all first time j1ers so any tips???also just wondering about the extra charges like water electricty etc is it very expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

dory wrote: »
    My brother went to Miami and didn't like it at all, he moved on fairly lively and went to Mertle Beach. Said Miami was expensive and full of old people.

Florida is god's waiting room......where old people go to die.

Advertisement