Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visa question

• 05-11-2010 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

i know you need to have 5000 dollars in your bank account for the working holiday visa, but when do you need to have this money in your account...is it at the time you apply for the visa or is it when you actually enter the country???
    thanks for your help:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

bumpy101 wrote: »
    i know you need to have 5000 dollars in your bank account for the working holiday visa, but when do you need to have this money in your account...is it at the time you apply for the visa or is it when you actually enter the country???
    thanks for your help:)

When you enter ..... but this is rarely checked

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bumpy101

hussey wrote: »
    When you enter ..... but this is rarely checked

but if they do check it will they refuse entry??? if they do check, is it only a once off?? the reason i ask this is because if i dont have enough saved before i head out there a friend has said he will loan me money to cover this check but will need the money back practically straight away??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

The reason for the $5000 is to ensure that you are not going to be a burden on Australian society as soon as you arrive. You are required to have this money to support yourself OR a ticket out of Australia (within a certain amount of time i think).

The usually dont check it, i wasnt checked, but i dont know what the repocussions are if you are caught without it.
    There are a few threads on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bumpy101

Mackman wrote: »
    The reason for the $5000 is to ensure that you are not going to be a burden on Australian society as soon as you arrive. You are required to have this money to support yourself OR a ticket out of Australia (within a certain amount of time i think).

The usually dont check it, i wasnt checked, but i dont know what the repocussions are if you are caught without it.
    There are a few threads on here about it.

thats sound....cheers for the info:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A good idea is to take out a visa card that has a credit limit of $5000, then if you are stopped you do have access to $5000.

Hence you can prove you are capable of supporting yourself and should you fail to find work in the first few weeks will not be found by police living under the harbour bridge among the pile of deros...

Just good sense really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

its also good to actually have at least $5000 in the first place, Australia is not cheap and if you don't pick up any work in the 1st month or 2 you wont be doing the walk of shame.

Advertisement