Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion Advice with Raam

• 05-11-2010 8:04am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Worried that your sense of cycling style may not be up to scratch? Post your queries here and Raam will answer them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What is Raam's take on wearing club gear outside training/racing for example commuting to and from work?
    I am conflicted by the safety aspect and clear euroness of the bright colours offset by the constant pressure when passing a fellow commuter when all I'm doing is cycling faster/slower than they are.
    Yours,
    Conflicted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm a chubby middles aged man :o

Should I wear white shorts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Is it ever acceptable to wear black socks. You see I have a matching fixation, in the I wear white socks with my white cycling shoes but think it looks ghastly with my black shoes.
    Now I wear black shoes in the winter, and I have some lovely black and pink merino winter socks.
    I particularly like this combo when wearing black 3/4 lengths or knee warmers. In the back of my mind I feel I might be breaching some style rules.
    Pls advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Raam,

I'm a typical male Irish cyclist, what colours and/or styles should I avoid on the bike? Can I just wear my Dunnes Stores socks, I mean they are basically all the same. I like to wear my normal clothes loose, I assume I can do the same with my cycling clothes, I like the jersey to be fully loaded with a small picnic so it hangs down below my waist, the looser the better, however I have been attracting odd looks and I'm wondering should my clothing be more snug and form fitting?

Yours,

LooseandEasy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What is your take on package visbility?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

RAAM,
    what are your thoughts on black saddles. i know the euro rules state that white is the only way but can an exception be made if the black one is deadly looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Idleater wrote: »
    What is Raam's take on wearing club gear outside training/racing for example commuting to and from work?
    I am conflicted by the safety aspect and clear euroness of the bright colours offset by the constant pressure when passing a fellow commuter when all I'm doing is cycling faster/slower than they are.
    Yours,
    Conflicted

No need to be conflicted, Conflicted. My best advice to you is to continue wearing your gear. You're top of the commuting food chain. Everyone knows that cyclists are greater than cagers, well you're the greatest cyclist on your commute and what's more, you know it. Others see you (that is what you want, right?) and they want to be you. Enjoy the attention.

RobFowl wrote: »

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RAAM,

What should one do when a good looking commuting lady is cycling towards you wearing her work clothing. Bear in mind her low cut blouse looked fine when she looked in the mirror that morning but she didn't take into account that the angle she'll be leaning over the handle bars will display her assets beautifully for every red blooded male cycling the opposite direction.

I guess what I'm asking is should I switch to baggys to make my ride in such a situation more comfortable, or should I stop her next time and advise of what kind of scarf would match her blouse beautifully and therefore save any future embarrassment for both parties involved ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

RAAM ... who is your fashion guru?

1/ El Tonto
    2/ Gok wan
    3/ Blorg
    4/ I am my own fashion guru, I am simply awesome

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Is it ever acceptable to wear black socks. You see I have a matching fixation, in the I wear white socks with my white cycling shoes but think it looks ghastly with my black shoes.
    Now I wear black shoes in the winter, and I have some lovely black and pink merino winter socks.
    I particularly like this combo when wearing black 3/4 lengths or knee warmers. In the back of my mind I feel I might be breaching some style rules.
    Pls advise.

There is only one answer here. Get rid of your black shoes.

Also 3/4 lengths are banned. It's shorts + knee warmers. You should know that by now.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Raam,

I'm a typical male Irish cyclist, what colours and/or styles should I avoid on the bike? Can I just wear my Dunnes Stores socks, I mean they are basically all the same. I like to wear my normal clothes loose, I assume I can do the same with my cycling clothes, I like the jersey to be fully loaded with a small picnic so it hangs down below my waist, the looser the better, however I have been attracting odd looks and I'm wondering should my clothing be more snug and form fitting?

Yours,

LooseandEasy

Hello LooseandEasy, you should go kill yourself now. There is no redemption.

bcmf wrote: »
    RAAM,
    what are your thoughts on black saddles. i know the euro rules state that white is the only way but can an exception be made if the black one is deadly looking.

It is acceptable in certain situations. You already know them yourself.

RAAM ... who is your fashion guru?

1/ El Tonto
    2/ Gok wan
    3/ Blorg
    4/ I am my own fashion guru, I am simply awesome

Raam answers your problems, he does not talk about himself, except for when he is talking about himself.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    RAAM,

What should one do when a good looking commuting lady is cycling towards you wearing her work clothing. Bear in mind her low cut blouse looked fine when she looked in the mirror that morning but she didn't take into account that the angle she'll be leaning over the handle bars will display her assets beautifully for every red blooded male cycling the opposite direction.

I guess what I'm asking is should I switch to baggys to make my ride in such a situation more comfortable, or should I stop her next time and advise of what kind of scarf would match her blouse beautifully and therefore save any future embarrassment for both parties involved ?

I fail to see the problem here. Go forth and perv.

el tonto wrote: »
    What is your take on package visbility?

If it's wrapped in Assos shorts, no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

RAAM

Is lycra fashionable acceptable in any of the following situations:

While riding a fixie
    While riding a mtb
    While riding a racing bike other than a Cervelo out of competition
    In a sportive
    In any place of work
    In the company of regular church goers
    In a closet in your own home or that of a like minded adult
    In jail
    In Dublin 4 or 6W

Yours

Bewildered and frustrated

RAAM ... I think i recently saw you NOT wearing a white helmet ... explain yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dear Raam,

If a hair grows on a leg but no one sees it, is it still wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Dear Raam,

I recently discovered that I fall into the cycling catagory known as MAMIL.
    Can I request your fashion advice please. In particular, should I continue to wear my Boards gear or should I just tearfully drop it into my local Oxfam.

BTW, what is the collective noun for a group of us on our bikes.....insert appropriate word....."I saw a ...... of MAMIL grunting and creaking up stocking lane". I did a search here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collective_nouns_by_subject_I-Z but no luck.

Yours sincerely,
    Jimm

• Advertisement

RAAM ... I think i recently saw you NOT wearing a white helmet ... explain yourself.

Please see here

RAAM ... Triatheles wear speedos with man bra while cycling with knee high socks ... is it ok to know one of them?

Hello Bewildered and Frustrated, please see my inline comments for the answers you seek.
    100Suns wrote: »
    RAAM

Is lycra fashionable acceptable in any of the following situations:

While riding a fixie: I know I do, you can almost taste the vile looks you get from the hipsters.
    While riding a mtb: yes, but if you are passed out by a person in baggies, feign death.
    While riding a racing bike other than a Cervelo out of competition: I refuse to belief that anyone is riding any other kind of racing bike
    In a sportive: the aim here is to wear a Gerolsteiner jersey with Cofidis shorts. Cos those colours definitely match :rolleyes:
    In any place of work: If you work in the George
    In the company of regular church goers: There is only one true church, The Church of the Big Ring
    In a closet in your own home or that of a like minded adult: I'm a little frightened by this question
    In jail: In my world, jail involves riding a full sus MTB from Smyths toy store, so I refer the good reader to my earlier answer on MTBs
    In Dublin 4 or 6W: Is this near the Galibier? If so, yes

Yours

Bewildered and frustrated

Lumen wrote: »
    Dear Raam,

If a hair grows on a leg but no one sees it, is it still wrong?

That should never be a problem for you because you will always be packing your emergency shaving kit. You do have one of these, don't you?

jimm wrote: »
    Dear Raam,

I recently discovered that I fall into the cycling catagory known as MAMIL.
    Can I request your fashion advice please. In particular, should I continue to wear my Boards gear or should I just tearfully drop it into my local Oxfam.

BTW, what is the collective noun for a group of us on our bikes.....insert appropriate word....."I saw a ...... of MAMIL grunting and creaking up stocking lane". I did a search here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collective_nouns_by_subject_I-Z but no luck.

Yours sincerely,
    Jimm

Sincere Jimm, wear your boards gear with pride. It's black, with pink and white. What more could a man want?

The collective you are looking for is: "rusty sprocket".

RAAM ... Triatheles wear speedos with man bra while cycling with knee high socks ... is it ok to know one of them?

Yes. It's akin to hanging out with your ugly mates. People will think you are even hotter than you already are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

jimm wrote: »

An abomination of MAMIL(s)?
    A ubiquity of MAMIL(s)?
    or rarely An ascension of MAMIL(s)

is the plural of MAMIL, MAMILs?

I have waited for this thread for a long time;

Dear RAAM,
    While ascending a climb in the Sean Kelly at what I believed was breakneck speed, I noted that I was about to overtake an older gentleman. Nearing his rear wheel I was shocked / appalled to note that his lycra shorts had faded to the transparent side of opaque. Hurrying past I thought to myself, how did he let himself go out like that? But then I realised that he would not have seen how his rear looks like while leaning over a bike.

How can I possibly avoid this happening to me?

Best regards,

G'co

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dear Raam

Is it ever acceptable for two people to wear the same gear on the same spin (Boards and Club gear excepted, of course)?

Yours

Beasty

Gasco wrote: »
    Dear RAAM,
    While ascending a climb in the Sean Kelly at what I believed was breakneck speed, I noted that I was about to overtake an older gentleman. Nearing his rear wheel I was shocked / appalled to note that his lycra shorts had faded to the transparent side of opaque. Hurrying past I thought to myself, how did he let himself go out like that? But then I realised that he would not have seen how his rear looks like while leaning over a bike.

How can I possibly avoid this happening to me?

Best regards,

G'co

Rookie mistake here. If you haven't already installed a fully mirrored room in your house, then there really is no hope for you.

On another note, you should subscribe to the Assos shorts program. Whenever you get a pair dirty, they send you out another pair. It costs more than you will earn in a year, but I think it's worth it.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Dear Raam

Is it ever acceptable for two people to wear the same gear on the same spin (Boards and Club gear excepted, of course)?

Yours

Beasty

Only if they are riding the same bike

RAAM

How do you kindly said to the rider in front of you that his/her arse is showing due to his/her shorts being a bit too thin ...

It is my own fault for riding with people wearing other gear than assos?

RAAM

How do you kindly said to the rider in front of you that his/her arse is showing due to his/her shorts being a bit too thin ...

It is my own fault for riding with people wearing other gear than assos?

Yes it is kind of your own fault, but when you next find yourself in this ghastly situation, simply retrieve your fred poking stick from the team car and use it as you see fit.

RAAM ... I don't have a team Car ... should I retire from cycling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Dear RAAM,
    In keeping with Euro traditions, I acquired a couple of white jerseys over the summer. However I discovered that to my horror they are basically seethrough - I am too embarassed to wear them and display my bib straps to all and sundry. I tried wearing a sleeveless base layer (white, of course) and thought that would be acceptable, but now I just look like Onslow with a translucent t-shirt on.

I love my white jerseys, but what can I do?

Yours,
    Dejected in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Raam wrote: »
    Only if they are riding the same bike

Sorry, what?

3888921721_520b0de81c.jpg

• Advertisement

RAAM ... I don't have a team Car ... should I retire from cycling?

This is your chance to be creative. When cycling in traffic, roll up to the nearest motorist who has their window down and demand to know where the f**k your domestiques are.

Whilst they are still in shock, just throw your eyes to heaven and tell them you want a bottle and a rain cape.

oflahero wrote: »
    Sorry, what?

Raam regrets that he cannot enter into any correspondence on issues discussed on these pages.

mfdc wrote: »
    Dear RAAM,
    In keeping with Euro traditions, I acquired a couple of white jerseys over the summer. However I discovered that to my horror they are basically seethrough - I am too embarassed to wear them and display my bib straps to all and sundry. I tried wearing a sleeveless base layer (white, of course) and thought that would be acceptable, but now I just look like Onslow with a translucent t-shirt on.

I love my white jerseys, but what can I do?

Yours,
    Dejected in Dublin.

Every cyclist needs a collection of rags with which to wipe his chain.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

oflahero wrote: »
    Sorry, what?

You got there before me ....

You got there before me ....

Please stay on topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Dear Raam,

How does one best adhere to the Euro rules while using ones bicycle for going into town grocery shopping/ running errands on ones alternative bicycle, ie my hack?

I find meeting friends for lunch, shopping in the local veg market/butchers etc quite 'difficult' while sporting my second skin and strolling about in my Sidi's............. having to perform a complete wardrobe change every time I mount/dismount my bicycle a tad time consuming.

Yours in anticipation
    Outfit outcast.

Please stay on topic
    Sorry:o

Dear Raam,

How does one best adhere to the Euro rules while using ones bicycle for going into town grocery shopping/ running errands on ones alternative bicycle, ie my hack?

I find meeting friends for lunch, shopping in the local veg market/butchers etc quite 'difficult' while sporting my second skin and strolling about in my Sidi's............. having to preform a complete wardrobe change every time I mount/dismount my bicycle a tad time consuming.

Yours in anticipation
    Outfit outcast.

Hello Outfit outcast,
    the best solution here is find new friends. Friends who cycle.
    Also, get your butcher to hand your purchases to you in a mussette as you cycle past the shop.

RobFowl wrote: »

I think white shorts are the least of your problems Rob
    20071014-hippy_fat_lampre_vegemite.jpg

I think white shorts are the least of your problems Rob

You have been warned once already. Next transgression will result in a confiscation of all your Assos clothing for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Rookie mistake here. If you haven't already installed a fully mirrored room in your house, then there really is no hope for you.

On another note, you should subscribe to the Assos shorts program. Whenever you get a pair dirty, they send you out another pair. It costs more than you will earn in a year, but I think it's worth it.

Thank your for your advice, my wife will have no choice but to relent on her stand against a "mirrored room".

The phrase - Killing two birds with the one stone - springs to mind.

Now, where is my B&Q loyalty card?

G'co

Gasco wrote: »
    Thank your for your advice, my wife will have no choice but to relent on her stand against a "mirrored room".

The phrase - Killing two birds with the one stone - springs to mind.

Now, where is my B&Q loyalty card?

G'co

I shall assume B&Q stands for Bikes and Quads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hi Raam,

I too am a brilliant climber who cuts a tall lean figure when out on the bike. However you seem to have the jump on me regarding appropriate cycle clothing by about 1-2 years.

Could you tell me what colours, other than the Kaiku gear you have and the predominantly black colours I usually wear, would be suitible for my finely toned, lean muscled and highly sought after body-shape?

Many thanks.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Hi Raam,

I too am a brilliant climber who cuts a tall lean figure when out on the bike. However you seem to have the jump on me regarding appropriate cycle clothing by about 1-2 years.

Could you tell me what colours, other than the Kaiku gear you have and the predominantly black colours I usually wear, would be suitible for my finely toned, lean muscled and highly sought after body-shape?

Many thanks.

Hmm, so much to debate there.

Any colour is acceptable provided it is worn with panache and the wearer is adopting an air of nonchalance.

That statement does not preclude socks and shoes rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hmm, so much to debate there.

Any colour is acceptable provided it is worn with panache and the wearer is adopting an air of nonchalance.

That statement does not preclude socks and shoes rules.

Thankyou, I'm trying to pull of that Alberto look of confidence at the moment. this is the friday fun thread so im slighty tongue in cheek but still a finely honed specimen:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement