Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion Advice with Raam

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How many women have you cycled with Assumpta? I remember showing up to martial the Ladies Criterium league last year and one of the first thing I saw was 12 year old girls blowing snot rockets on their warm up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    How many women have you cycled with Assumpta? I remember showing up to martial the Ladies Criterium league last year and one of the first thing I saw was 12 year old girls blowing snot rockets on their warm up.

Please direct your questions to me in the form of an etiquette or fashion related problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Raam wrote: »
    One of the few times this is acceptable is in situations such as that illustrated in the attachment.

I strive to be so Euro!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Raam, what are the official rules on knee warmer length? I like to wear mine just below the knee, but I notice a lot of the pros wear them down to just above the ankle. I don't want to look like a tit on the bike!

Regards,

Dirk...I mean, Mr. Snrub from, some place far away.....yes, that'll do

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Raam, what are the official rules on knee warmer length? I like to wear mine just below the knee, but I notice a lot of the pros wear them down to just above the ankle. I don't want to look like a tit on the bike!

Regards,

Dirk...I mean, Mr. Snrub from, some place far away.....yes, that'll do

Hello Sir Lacky of MAWS,
    Knee warmers worn just below the knee run the risk of looking like that most detestable of garments. Yes, I'm talking about 3/4 lengths. It is far preferable to adopt a knee warmer which affords you ample calf coverage, but not too much. A certain amount of bulge must be visible. Allow me to illustrate optimum length and positioning.

134212.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hello Sir Lacky of MAWS,
    Knee warmers worn just below the knee run the risk of looking like that most detestable of garments. Yes, I'm talking about 3/4 lengths. It is far preferable to adopt a knee warmer which affords you ample calf coverage, but not too much. A certain amount of bulge must be visible. Allow me to illustrate optimum length and positioning.

134212.png

Lacky? No, no not any more. I have been relieved of my position. Who is that model in the photo? She has lovely feminine legs, so delicate and properly formed. I don't even need to see the rest of the image to know that I would definitely do whoever those lady-like legs belong to, hubba hubba!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

By the way, do the rules apply to turbo sessions while alone in the privacy of one's home? I accept the snot rocket edicts apply but what about the fashion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

A Raam, a chara,

Is it acceptable for the terms "clip-on" and "mudguard" to invade one's thoughts? Might they be used in the same sentence in contexts other than "I think I speak for all of us when we say that we would rather gargle your spray than look at that poxy clip-on mudguard"?

Also, do you believe that it is "all about the confidence"?

Is mise le meas,

MWAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Dear Raam,

Is there a published document, or doctrine if you will, that details the rules surrounding Euroness? I feel that a pocket guide would be handy for each cyclist to have for the inevitable occasions when one has a question and requires guidance from above. Should said pocket guide come in a water proof sleeve? What is the doctrinal position in regard to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Your Royal Highness Raam,

I'm wondering it may seem like an ecumenical matter but what length socks should be worn, I prefer the ankle height, but this lady *ahem* seems to wear them rather high on the calf

134212.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Having only got back into cycling this year and only found this web site and the Euro list of rules after I made my first raft of purchases not sure if there is a weight limit on trying to be euro but im probably over that, im afraid I have sinned my first purchase was a
    Discovery Jersey
    and shorts(i liked the look of it) and then some Lidil and Aldi gear in fact the only bit of kit that i am not embarrassed to be seen in is the Boards Jersey i own. Think of getting some wiggle bib shorts are these acceptable to go with the boards jersey.
    Yours trying to be better Mike.

mike12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Having only got back into cycling this year and only found this web site and the Euro list of rules after I made my first raft of purchases not sure if there is a weight limit on trying to be euro but im probably over that, im afraid I have sinned my first purchase was a
    Discovery Jersey
    and shorts(i liked the look of it) and then some Lidil and Aldi gear in fact the only bit of kit that i am not embarrassed to be seen in is the Boards Jersey i own. Think of getting some wiggle bib shorts are these acceptable to go with the boards jersey.
    Yours trying to be better Mike.

If your shorts are not an exact match for your jersey, then the only acceptable alternative is a plain black pair of Assos shorts. This is the word of Raam.

Junior wrote: »
    Your Royal Highness Raam,

I'm wondering it may seem like an ecumenical matter but what length socks should be worn, I prefer the ankle height, but this lady *ahem* seems to wear them rather high on the calf

I present to you two different pictures. I know which one I prefer.

preview-valverde.jpgheinrich%20haussler%20quickstep%20merita%20victo-89770.jpg

A Raam, a chara,

Is it acceptable for the terms "clip-on" and "mudguard" to invade one's thoughts? Might they be used in the same sentence in contexts other than "I think I speak for all of us when we say that we would rather gargle your spray than look at that poxy clip-on mudguard"?

Also, do you believe that it is "all about the confidence"?

Is mise le meas,

MWAP

Ciao amigo

If you lack the funds to subscribe to the Assos shorts replacement program, then yes, clip-on mudguards are tolerated for the winter months.

Do I believe it is all about confidence? No, I believe it is all about how tall your socks are

tutti i migliori,

Raam

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Dear Raam,

Is there a published document, or doctrine if you will, that details the rules surrounding Euroness? I feel that a pocket guide would be handy for each cyclist to have for the inevitable occasions when one has a question and requires guidance from above. Should said pocket guide come in a water proof sleeve? What is the doctrinal position in regard to that?

Yes, such a document exists. However, I am not your personal googleizer.

100Suns wrote: »
    By the way, do the rules apply to turbo sessions while alone in the privacy of one's home? I accept the snot rocket edicts apply but what about the fashion?

Solo turbo sessions are a good time for self reflection and perhaps a little bit of experimentation. Do those plaid arm-warmers really go with my polka dot jersey and gold shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

...a plain black pair of Assos shorts. This is the word of Raam.

:confused:
    3. The Euro Cyclist shall NEVER, under any circumstances, wear plain black spandex bibs

:confused:

Are you questioning me?

Ah well...eek.. ahhh.... ahem.... no, its just that your wisdom is beyond my comprehension and confuses me.

I do however wish for clarification so I do not wear black bib's inappropriately......

Ah well...eek.. ahhh.... ahem.... no, its just that your wisdom is beyond my comprehension and confuses me.

I do however wish for clarification so I do not wear black bib's inappropriately......

Assos shorts are always permitted.

• Advertisement

How about Gist...... They are very comfy and look pretty damn good:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

How about Assos 3/4 lengths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Dear Uncle Raam,

I have two queries that your excellence may be able to offer solutions to.

As a budget conscious cyclist with euro aspirations, can you advise firstly on the acceptability of shoe disguise. With a cheap, non euro pair of shoes, is it permissible to cover said shoes with overshoes of a more tolerated brand.

Secondly, can you offer guidance in the area of bidon selection. On a bike carrying team livery should I be carrying matching bidons, bidons of another team, or just plain. I find it difficult to remain hydrated when every sip may be accompanied by dismissive sneers from true euro folk.

Regards,
    Trepidatious but Thirsty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Dearest Herr Raam-stein,

Are 'novelty' cycling tops ever acceptable? My own particular favourite is a Queen inspired version which features naked ladies on bikes, as seen here.

Your in gratitude,

The stylistically-confused Rockstar

d4r3n wrote: »
    How about Assos 3/4 lengths?

Directives and advice have been issued on this already.

Dear Uncle Raam,

I have two queries that your excellence may be able to offer solutions to.

As a budget conscious cyclist with euro aspirations, can you advise firstly on the acceptability of shoe disguise. With a cheap, non euro pair of shoes, is it permissible to cover said shoes with overshoes of a more tolerated brand.

Secondly, can you offer guidance in the area of bidon selection. On a bike carrying team livery should I be carrying matching bidons, bidons of another team, or just plain. I find it difficult to remain hydrated when every sip may be accompanied by dismissive sneers from true euro folk.

Regards,
    Trepidatious but Thirsty

Hello Trepidatious but Thirsty,
    many riders adopt shoe disguise tactics and whilst not ideal, it is acceptable. The way I see it... if you can't afford a pair of Sidi, buying a piece of cloth with their logo printed on it is the next best thing. That has to be applauded. It is a pure form of dedication to the cause.

Bidons must always match. That is non-negotiable. 500ml size is preferable.
    I'll pretend I didn't see the team references.

hey presto,
    Raam's your uncle

christeb wrote: »
    Dearest Herr Raam-stein,

Are 'novelty' cycling tops ever acceptable? My own particular favourite is a Queen inspired version which features naked ladies on bikes, as seen here.

Your in gratitude,

The stylistically-confused Rockstar

Novelty cycling jerseys in the peloton are as acceptable as novelty ties at a funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Novelty cycling jerseys in the peloton are as acceptable as novelty ties at a funeral.

05cycle1.jpg

Dear Raam,

I think that you will be proud of me for this one - I was out last night training and in order to combat the cold I took a pair of my old thick black hiking socks and cut the cleat space out of them. Now these were covered by my black compagnola shoe covers so nobody was any the wiser!

My question is this: Is it acceptable to perform such a feat in today's society when it is not visible to the naked eye?

• Advertisement

Dear Raam,

I think that you will be proud of me for this one - I was out last night training and in order to combat the cold I took a pair of my old thick black hiking socks and cut the cleat space out of them. Now these were covered by my black compagnola shoe covers so nobody was any the wiser!

My question is this: Is it acceptable to perform such a feat in today's society when it is not visible to the naked eye?

First of all, it's Campagnolo.

Secondly, by creating your own home-made solutions, you are doing some hard-working seamstress out of a job. Are you going to buy the milk for her screaming baby?

Ah - touche!

Please forgive my economic ignorance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The handle to the rear QR skewer obviously has to go on the non-drive side of the bike. However, what about the front skewer - should the handle be on the same side as the rear skewer or on the opposite, drive side?

I only ask because on the last two occasions I got my machine back from the mechanics they'd put the front skewer handle on the drive side.

Cheers

Jawgap wrote: »
    The handle to the rear QR skewer obviously has to go on the non-drive side of the bike. However, what about the front skewer - should the handle be on the same side as the rear skewer or on the opposite, drive side?

I only ask because on the last two occasions I got my machine back from the mechanics they'd put the front skewer handle on the drive side.

Cheers

Non drive side, always. Gilbert is demonstrating this to great effect here.

But his QRs are pointing in different directions! Surely QRs must always be horizontal, facing to the rear as if blown backwards by speed!

Yours,
    OCDish

Lumen wrote: »
    But his QRs are pointing in different directions! Surely QRs must always be horizontal, facing to the rear as if blown backwards by speed!

Yours,
    OCDish

I'm disappointed in you.

• Advertisement

I'm disappointed in you.

Yet again I find that my ice cube of euroness has melted pathetically into the lukewarm gin and tonic of my Anglo-Saxonism.

Pray tell, in which direction should my QRs point?

Yet again I find that my ice cube of euroness has melted pathetically into the lukewarm gin and tonic of my Anglo-Saxonism.

Pray tell, in which direction should my QRs point?

The front is as per Gilbert.
    The rear depends on what your frame permits.

Brother Raam,

Only yesterday afternoon I was ridiculed for still having the clear plastic protector between the hub and chain on my rear wheel. My thoughts are that it's put there for a reason - to prevent chain slippage into the spokes.

Will you defend my honour or was the ridiculer indeed correct? Should it be removed in order to maintain high level of Euroness :confused:

Brother Raam,

Only yesterday afternoon I was ridiculed for still having the clear plastic protector between the hub and chain on my rear wheel. My thoughts are that it's put there for a reason - to prevent chain slippage into the spokes.

Will you defend my honour or was the ridiculer indeed correct? Should it be removed in order to maintain high level of Euroness :confused:

What you are referring to is known as a pie plate. Since your bicycle does not have any pies, there is no reason to have a pie plate on it. Some people have found an alternate use for the pie plate, they use it to stop their chain over-shifting into their spokes. However, all cyclists should know how to adjust their own gears, so there really is no need for a pie plate.

It is the cycling equivalent of a clip on tie. Functional, but entirely needless, only serving to prove how lazy the owner is.

Harsh! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The front is as per Gilbert.
    The rear depends on what your frame permits.

I appreciate that like an advocate-general in the European Court you are handing down learned opinions, but could I respectfully point you in the direction of Rule 41:

"Quick release angle on the front skewer shall be an upward angle which tightens just aft of the fork and the rear quick release shall tighten at an angle that bisects angle between the seat and chain stays. It is acceptable, however, to have the rear quick release tighten upward, just aft of the seat stay, when the construction of the frame or its dropouts will not allow the preferred positioning. For Time Trial bikes only, quick releases may be in the horizontal position facing towards the rear of the bike. This is for maximum aero effect."

Thanks for the info though - as soon as I get home this evening I'll flip the front QR skewer back to the correct side.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

as soon as I get home this evening I'll flip the front QR skewer back to the correct side.
    Are you sure it's not simply a matter of the wheel having been put back on upside down?

Now I know how a doctor feels when people get a second opinion.

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not simply a matter of the wheel having been put back on upside down?

Honestly - my immediate reaction to the directive from RAAM was that I needed to flip the wheel - before I realised I just needed to change the QR skewer:):) - I'm not just a bit slow on the bike!
    Now I know how a doctor feels when people get a second opinion.

A doctor once told me that the best advice he could give me was "always get a second opinion."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I appreciate that like an advocate-general in the European Court you are handing down learned opinions, but could I respectfully point you in the direction of Rule 41:

"Quick release angle on the front skewer shall be an upward angle which tightens just aft of the fork and the rear quick release shall tighten at an angle that bisects angle between the seat and chain stays. It is acceptable, however, to have the rear quick release tighten upward, just aft of the seat stay, when the construction of the frame or its dropouts will not allow the preferred positioning. For Time Trial bikes only, quick releases may be in the horizontal position facing towards the rear of the bike. This is for maximum aero effect."

I salute your bravery.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

That is probably the greatest example of Rule 6 I have ever seen!

That is probably the greatest example of Rule 6 I have ever seen!

I think those socks are too short.

I would like to see a better description of "the main bulge of the calf muscle". With illustrations, preferably.

I think those socks are too short.

I would like to see a better description of "the main bulge of the calf muscle". With illustrations, preferably.

I agree - some of these rule lack clarity and objectivity, but I think the answer to the calf muscle question could be related to the mid-point of your gastrocnemius muscle!

lowerLegMuscleGroup.jpg

"The gastrocnemius is shorter, thicker and has two attachments (inner and outer). It is the most visible of the calf muscles."

Please, please, please!

Science and Euro do not mix.

Please, please, please!

Science and Euro do not mix.

Sorry, I did a triathlon once by accident - happened to be out for a swim and followed this crowd who came along. Anyway, I think that's where I became infected by the need for scientific precision in velo-matters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement