Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion Advice with Raam

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Raam wrote: »
    Non drive side, always. Gilbert is demonstrating this to great effect here.

Post edited to keep in line with thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

bcmf wrote: »
    Why are there no Boards.ie oversocks?

Why are you asking me?

It was just a general question. Not specificaly aimed at you.

bcmf wrote: »
    It was just a general question. Not specificaly aimed at you.

The purpose of this thread has been clearly established. You, sir, are way beyond the pale.

post edited to appease the euro'ness of the thread.
    Mi dispiace, Signore Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

Raam,

Who's is your style icon? Mario Cipollini?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

cormpat wrote: »
    Raam,

Raam is an icon himself.

Marion is Euro personified but even he could not carry off the Kaiku jersey....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Another question for the knowledgable one:

Is a Bandana a suitable alternative for a cap? Or put another way, supposing one hadn't got one of those ear warming headbands/under helmet things is it suitable attire? Are those ear warmer yokies even suitable attire despite their obvious practicality?

pantani.jpg

cormpat wrote: »
    Raam,

I can really only answer your own fashion and etiquette quandries, but just between you and me, I quite like the on the bike style of Heinrich Haussler since he joined Cervelo.

heinrich-haussler-team-cervalo.jpg

Although one wonders what Garmin will do to him.

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    Another question for the knowledgable one:

Is a Bandana a suitable alternative for a cap? Or put another way, supposing one hadn't got one of those ear warming headbands/under helmet things is it suitable attire? Are those ear warmer yokies even suitable attire despite their obvious practicality?

A bandana can be worn by the following people...

Pirates
    People playing pirates in movies or plays
    Pantani (as you have kindly illustrated)

Those ear warmers yokies (as you so eloquently put it) are entirely acceptable.

P1010236.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hmmm, a bandana....I think I could rock that.

Where do you stand on caps? I always wear one for functional reasons. Maybe a bandana or two to shake it up a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Please, please, please!

Science and Euro do not mix.

Dear Fount of Euro Wisdom, I'm confused. The Assos brand/way of life is defined by its essential Euro-ness, yet I quote here from the description of their iJ.haBu5 Jacket:
    • Composition: PA41%, PES21% PP16%, EA14%, PU8%
    • Ultrathin: 3 layer memory foil shield fabric composition
    • Weight m2: 267gr
    • Construction: triple laminated Polymer PU membrane-Nonporous hydrophilic
    • Impermeability: Yes 10.700 H20
    • Moisture Permeability: 14.900g/m2/24hrs Inverted Cup method Variable Thermoflex Membrane
    • Volume reduction: - 34%vs. AirBlock 799
    I agree that Euro & science should not mix, yet this description brings back unpleasant memories of dreary Phys/Chem classes during which my philosophical musings on the nature of Euro-ness were repeatedly interrupted by small-minded scientific twits intent on limiting the scope of my mind's wanderings to less glorious pursuits. Please enlighten me.

Dear Fount of Euro Wisdom, I'm confused. The Assos brand/way of life is defined by its essential Euro-ness, yet I quote here from the description of their iJ.haBu5 Jacket:

I agree that Euro & science should not mix, yet this description brings back unpleasant memories of dreary Phys/Chem classes during which my philosophical musings on the nature of Euro-ness were repeatedly interrupted by small-minded scientific twits intent on limiting the scope of my mind's wanderings to less glorious pursuits. Please enlighten me.

You're the first person I've ever heard of who reads that part.
    In future, just look at the picture.

57504.jpg

Now get your credit card out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Would this be considered Euro???

I suspect with the Shimano grouppo (and only Ultegra at that) probably not.

ghost-lucie2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

UCI's that bloke,while praising Raams fashion expertise,clearly hasn't been taking any of his styling advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@RobFowl: I'm appalled that you posted that. Not only Ultegra, but the bottle cages are crap and IT'S IN THE SMALL RING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Dear Your Euro-ness,

I'm detecting a bias towards Campagnolo in your pronouncements and I was wondering if there is any scope within Euro-philia for other componentry, specifically SRAM (not named after you by any chance?)

I must confest to being a big fan of the Double-Tap whether it is delivered via the levers on the bike or by 9mm Glock.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Dear Your Euro-ness,

I'm detecting a bias towards Campagnolo in your pronouncements and I was wondering if there is any scope within Euro-philia for other componentry, specifically SRAM (not named after you by any chance?)

I must confest to being a big fan of the Double-Tap whether it is delivered via the levers on the bike or by 9mm Glock.

I prefer Shimano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I prefer Shimano.

[/CREDIBILITY]

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I prefer Shimano.

After all the sterling work this has the potential to create a huge credibility deficit. Not too late for an edit??

Edit: apologies-by the time I got to post niceonetom beat me to it. I still stand over post though!

• Advertisement

No one is without their dark dirty secrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Confessions of euro rule violations thread?

Hi, my name is Dirk and yes, I like wearing pro-team kit and my religious iconography sits in a box and not around my neck because I haven't got a big dirty gold chain for it yet.

I'm so ashamed.

Oh, I also have a pair of livestrong Radars.

Shame increasing exponentially.

My bike isn't white.

My hair is NEVER slicked back euro style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Testify.........

The 12 Steps Of Alcoholics Euros Anonymous
    1. We admitted we were powerless over euro kit– that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2. Came to believe that the Power of 410 is greater than ourselves and could restore us to sanity.
    3. Made a decision to turn our groupsets and our kit over to the care of Raam as we understood Him.
    4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    5. Admitted to fellow cyclists, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6. Were entirely ready to have Raam remove all these defects of character.
    7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
    8. Made a list of all persons (especially LBS's) we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9. Made direct amends to such people and LBS's wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others or if the LBS in question was Cyclelogical.
    10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
    11. Sought through turbo-trainers and intervals to improve our conscious contact with Raam as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12. Having had a euro spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to cyclists of all kinds and practice these principles in all our affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Ciao a tutti,

Raam my chosen bicicletta is white but it's name ends in neither an 'i' nor an 'o' but an 'e'. On a scale of uno to dieci how high can a french bike (I don't mean Brigitte Bardot here) climb on the Euro scale?

Grazie,
    P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

You think you got problems, my Parrot's Italian has an awful Sicilian accent..... oh the embarrassment.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Jawgap wrote: »
    Testify.........

The 12 Steps Of Alcoholics Euros Anonymous
    1. We admitted we were powerless over euro kit– that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2. Came to believe that the Power of 410 is greater than ourselves and could restore us to sanity.
    3. Made a decision to turn our groupsets and our kit over to the care of Raam as we understood Him.
    4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    5. Admitted to fellow cyclists, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6. Were entirely ready to have Raam remove all these defects of character.
    7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
    8. Made a list of all persons (especially LBS's) we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9. Made direct amends to such people and LBS's wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others or if the LBS in question was Cyclelogical.
    10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
    11. Sought through turbo-trainers and intervals to improve our conscious contact with Raam as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12. Having had a euro spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to cyclists of all kinds and practice these principles in all our affairs.

Hmm. Are we witnessing the birth of the Church of Cyclentology here?...

poochiem wrote: »
    Ciao a tutti,

Raam my chosen bicicletta is white but it's name ends in neither an 'i' nor an 'o' but an 'e'. On a scale of uno to dieci how high can a french bike (I don't mean Brigitte Bardot here) climb on the Euro scale?

Grazie,
    P

These pictures should clarify the matter.

Bradley_Wiggins_Cofidis_Time_VXRS_Ulteam_World_Star.jpg
    look001.jpg
    lapierre_Xlite_Lowres.jpg

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hmmm, a bandana....I think I could rock that.

Where do you stand on caps? I always wear one for functional reasons. Maybe a bandana or two to shake it up a bit?

I believe you are referring to a casquette. Did you not read my earlier edict on whimsical euro-language references?

As penance, please do 5 summits of Howth via the right hand side of the church, continuing all the way to the top.

As you very well know, casquettes are the most euro of all pieces of clothing. It is just unfortunate that we are all conditioned to wear helmets whilst training and required to wear them while racing, otherwise we would still be graced with images such as these.

rbx84-kelly3.jpg3223533842_a492538260.jpg

And probably plenty more of these.

5b.jpgjalabert.jpg

It's time to bring an end to the advice column, it has run on longer than I thought it would.
    I hope everyone has been suitably educated and is a little wiser as to what is expected of them whilst on their bike.

There is to be less of this
    3806121129_5914a87ef6.jpg

And a lot more of this
    ulli.jpg

Absolutely none of this
    bhn529.jpg

And copious amounts of this
    Assos-socks-summer-reg.jpg

I'm really not sure what is happening here, but whatever it is don't do it
    dick.jpg

With attention to detail, some day you can aspire to this
    tob09-sm-pozatto-430x948.jpg