Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicyle Bingo

• 05-11-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

With the competitive cycling season winding down, what's a competitive cyclist to do?

Bicycle bingo: a game for all commuting cyclists.

Rules

Points are awarded for overtaking other cyclists.

In the following, the "cyclist" is the rider him or herself. The "target" is another cyclist encountered upon a commute.

Points are awarded as follows.

General points:

1 The cyclist receives two points for a successfully completed overtake of a target.

Exceptions:

2 No points will be awarded for male cyclists overtaking female cyclists (but see rule 6, below).

3 No points will be awarded if the target's knees stick out at an angle of 30 degrees or more.

Bonus points:

4 The cyclist receives two bonus points if the target is riding a road bike, unless the cyclist him or herself is also riding a road bike.

5 The cyclist receives three bonus points if the target is sporting Lycra, unless the cyclist him or herself is also wearing Lycra.

6 The cyclist receives a bonus of five points if, in passing a target, they obtain the target's telephone number.

7 The cyclist receives a bonus of two points if the target, prior to being overtaken, jumped a set of red traffic lights.

8 The daily double. A cyclist's daily points score will be doubled if they successfully secure a verbal apology from a taxi driver.

Penalties:

9 The cyclist receives a penalty of two points if they themselves, prior to overtaking, jumped a set of red traffic lights.

10 If subsequent to an overtake the target re-overtakes the cyclist, then the original points are forfeited and a penalty in the amount of the original award applies. For example, if two points plus two bonus points were gained in an overtaking manoeuvre and the overtake is subsequently reversed, then the four points are forfeited and a penalty of four further points applied instead.

Considerations:

11 No consideration will be given to the length of the cyclist's commute. The cyclist should have considered this factor when they decided where to live.

The winner:

12 A winner will be declared every week, with the week ending at midnight each Friday night. The winner will be the cyclist with the most points accumulated over the course of the week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Search for the commuting racing rules, there's loads of them out there, some similar to the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i get 0 every week as i never see another commuting cyclist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

serendip wrote: »
    Bicycle bingo: a game for all commuting cyclists.

Boo! That's not bingo. Bicycle bingo rules would be something like you take the first letter of either the bike manufacturer or model or perhaps the name of the person you pass and if you make up a cycling related word (eg "Cervelo" or "Schleck") as you pass them you tell them - thus the game spreads.

However, this idea infringes on possibly one of the more infectious games that one plays by not playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

13. Double points are awarded if the target is considerably younger than you, eg. a teenager vs 40 something, BUT this rule does not apply if the target is obviously under 12 years of age .

14. Triple points for any female cyclist overtaking a male, especially one in lycra. Further bonus points to the female if the target is not able to stay on her wheel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Rule 6 is unfairly biased toward DirkVoodoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

yeah well i was aiming for a triple points score in one move this morning along the canal when my front tyre went pppffffffftttttsssss. subsequently couldn't find the puncture in the tube and my spare tube wouldn't inflate... TAXI! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I would be the absolute god of this if I bike was commuting at the moment.

I'm really competitive - in 3 months of doing my old 40km round commute I think I was only overtaken about 3 times. Used to exhaust myself racing after lycra-clads on carbon frames.. in my rugby jersey on my flat bars. So satisfying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Hmmm I overtook a girl today on a electric bike. How many points is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

mgmt wrote: »
    Hmmm I overtook a girl today on a electric bike. How many points is that?

None, unless rule 6 applies.

Advertisement