Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone take the Taught MSc in Computer Science by Negotiated Learning?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I am considering a masters in computers next year, and of all the courses out there from DIT, UCD, Griffith etc, this course seems to be the most appealing as it allows you to chose from a wide range of subjects, to broaden your field of experience, with topics you may not have had any experience in so far.

I have a few questions, directed at anyone who has done this course in the past few years:

1. What was the process for selecting your modules? Did UCD help you decide what would suit you best?

2. What were the hours? Was it 2 days a week 6:30-8:30 (standard) or something different?

3. As it is different from a standard MSc course, is the Masters Degree of the same standing as a Masters Degree from any other University/college?

4. Are the computing facilities in bellfield or the city center?

5. Overall, was the course, facilities and help received by the college up to your standard? how did you find it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Hi, i haven't done this course but I am a 4th year in computer science at UCD and have been talking to the organiser of the course for the last few weeks getting more info on it.

1. You can select any modules you like as long as you have the correct amount of credits assigned to your course. The organiser is very easy to approach so if you wanted to focus on a particular area, she would be able to help you with the modules you should pick.

2. The hours depend on what modules you pick, a lot of them are 4th year modules so most are during the day.

3. I asked this before and the masters is supposed to be in the same standing as any others, but it has become very popular in recent years so can be quite hard to get a place.

4. The computer science building is located in Belfield, but they do not have computers there that you can use, you will have to bring your own laptop.

5. Cant answer this as I haven't done the course.

Also, dont assume that the fees for this course will stay the same next year, as if the undergrad fees do go up, the same will most likely happen to the negotiated learning course, as a result it will prob be a total of 5-6k for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

1. What was the process for selecting your modules? Did UCD help you decide what would suit you best?
    Get an idea of what you'd be interested in, then discuss it with your appointed advisor. 60 credits from classes, you've got a huge list of 5, 7.5 and 10 credit modules to choose from (and the choice is bigger now than it was for us). 30 credits from your thesis.

2. What were the hours? Was it 2 days a week 6:30-8:30 (standard) or something different?
    All over the place. Some classes run at normal times (particularly those shared with undergrads), some are in the evenings, and certain modules are held in a 1 week block before the start of term. This is very highly dependent on your module selections. There is a chance you could have lectures in different sites too (Blackrock or elsewhere, some take classes in DCU as part of it), remember to schedule transport time if this is the case

3. As it is different from a standard MSc course, is the Masters Degree of the same standing as a Masters Degree from any other University/college?
    It's treated in a similar manner to any other level 9 taught masters course. That said, in the various job interviews I had after finishing the course I had to explain the "Negotiated Learning" part of the title every time.

4. Are the computing facilities in bellfield or the city center?
    You'll mostly be working on your own laptop (compulsory for all CS courses in UCD) - all the school's facilities are in Belfield.

5. Overall, was the course, facilities and help received by the college up to your standard? how did you find it?
    Course material I found quite interesting (I focused mostly on computational science modules, which meant a lot of my modules were shared with the School of Mathematical Sciences). Things could be a bit disorganised at times, which was to be expected for the first year of the course in this form - but when that combines with the general UCD disorganisation it gets a bit messy. I was pretty used to that though having done my undergrad (BSc CS) in UCD too.

Advertisement