Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you worm yourselves?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Really strange question for a friday morning!:D We all know about worming our pets but do you/have you wormed yourself? I was minding a stray puppy last night and i wont go into details but he wasnt the cleanest when i woke up this morning. Im thinking about worming myself this evening just in case. Im generally not OCD about washing my hands every time i touch an animal but if you'd seen what came out of this dog..... :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Can they be transmitted to people? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Can they be transmitted to people? :eek:
    As i said im not normally OTT about cleanliness i.e washing my hands everytime i touch an animal etc, but yes most definitely roundworms (Toxocara canis in the dog and Toxocara cati in the cat); tapeworms (cestodes) although have a different life cycle and whipworms (another type of roundworms) are to name a few.

I really dont want to scare monger at all and generally if your pet is wormed regularly there really is a negligble chance of transmission. But for those of you dealing with stray animals (who have a very high chance of having a parasite) is this something that you do regularly? Before i knew the pup had worms i really wasnt overly concerned about washing my hands before eating etc. and i was also made aware that Toxocara cati is renowned to be found sticking to cat fur so it would make sense as pet owners to be worming ourselves along with our pets. Im open to criticism and would love to know if this isnt necessary or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't worm myself. Similarly to your animals, you'll have symptoms if you have worms. If you're worried about it, talk to your chemist.

Yes humans can get worms, but you don't necessarily have to pick them up from your animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

we go to africa on holliers a fair bit so we always deworm the whole family when we get home .

a lot of people live with worms in their gut and never know it as the symptoms are similar to other intestinal ailments

not letting your pet sleep on or in:eek: your bed is also good practice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:eek: What are the symptoms of worms in humans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

anniehoo wrote: »
    I really dont want to scare monger at all....
    Whispered wrote: »

:D

Similarly to your animals, you'll have symptoms if you have worms.
    No not necessarily. Only if the worm burden gets to a certain level of infestation, the exact same in an animal.
    Do you really want to know?:D Didnt really want to go into too much detail but since ya asked: roundworm symptoms

Symptom number 1.

Weight loss/ inability to gain weight.

I'm clear.

:(

Symptom number 1.

Weight loss/ inability to gain weight.

I'm clear.
    :D

Im stuck on "iritability" one for me :p If you'd seen me in traffic this morning.

Um, how does having worms cause anorexia? Isn't that a psychological rather than physical disorder?

• Advertisement

Um, how does having worms cause anorexia? Isn't that a psychological rather than physical disorder?
    A parasitic infection of the intestine causes nausea,vomiting,pain...resulting in anorexia (which basically means not wanting to eat due to loss of appetite).It can be described as a pyschological symptom manifesting from a pyhsical one i suppose. Sure you'd hardly be stuffing your face if you're feelin sick as a dog (sorry for the pun :D).

Ah I get you - I thought it meant it causes anorexia as in it makes you not want to put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

Mmmmmm interesting! Never thought about it before - how do you de-worm yourself - is it a tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

anorexia nervosa is the psychiatric disorder
    anorexia is when you are just not able to eat and as a result loose weight rapidly

Yep the website says "anorexia nervosa". I thought that didn't sound right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I wormed myself 4 years ago when my sister was diagnosed with having thread worms and it was advised that we all get done. Isn't it funny you wouldn't be advised to do the same or think of doing it because your pet has worms!

Great thread!

Mmmmmm interesting! Never thought about it before - how do you de-worm yourself - is it a tablet?
    Yep rang my sister whos a pharmacy technician in Boots and she said its called Vermox (contains mebendazole) and she said people are always in asking for it, as its over the counter,mainly for pinworms in kids .Guess where im heading after work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

wow I didn't know that. When I was a kid my mam would give out to me for putting too much sugar on my cereal and say "you'll get worms!"
    She wasn't joking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In this context, "anorexia " is simply medical jargon for no appetite and so not eating.

In the disease known as anorexia, the jury is still out as to cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Lily10

It's rare for whipworm to be transmissable to people. In fact my parasitology book says it's not zoonotic but I have read elsewhere that it is. As for tapeworms, you would have to swallow a segment which is the size of a grain of rice. Not really that worrisome because I'm sure its big enough to notice. I would be more worried about hookworms and roundworms. Hookworms can actually burrow through your skin.

I have to admit that I have dewormed myself but that is because I run a dog rescue and work in the veterinary feild so I'm around a lot of sick dogs.

Lily10 wrote: »
    Hookworms can actually burrow through your skin.

Oh my god:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Yep the website says "anorexia nervosa". I thought that didn't sound right.
    yeah, very weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Most people who have worms don't know they have them. Symptoms only really start to show with a bad infestation or with young kids. My parents used to worm us as children (with a pink liquid - that went in and came out the same colour! eek.gif) just to make sure. I now worm ourselves (the OH and I) every so often (when I remember!), which usually adds up to once or twice a year, because we are always in contact with dogs and better safe than wormy! You need to de-worm twice to make sure you are clear - two weeks apart (so if you worm today, you'll need to do it in two weeks) so as to kill off any hatched eggs. Most wormers don't kill off all stages of life cycle so doing it like this gets as many as possible.

I worm my dogs regularly, and sometimes one of them will have worms. Some worming products kill them while others only cause evacuation (mainly thinking about puppy wormers) so I go around checking to make sure for a day or two after they are wormed - lovely - and then bleach the bejesus out of the patch (and surrounding area) if one of them has had worms. I don't want the little buggers in the garden (obviously, there are going to be a certain amount in the garden but the last thing I need is a pack of dogs infested with worms!) and can sacrifice my lawn for the cause and my own piece of mind!

I'm off to eat a meal! biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Meteor67

We thought about the worming ones when our dog had a litter (nine little Cocker's :)) which led to a lot of close contact with the puppies.

First i thought taking the tablet's mentioned before, but then I decided to go to the GP and get besides other things my stool checked . It's not bad as part of a general healthcheck and if you have worms then you will get the medication which treat's the worms you actually have (there are different ones).

Now I didn't have worms but peace in mind and saved my self taking unnecessary medication.

And now I am going for breakfast. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

. Isn't it funny you wouldn't be advised to do the same or think of doing it because your pet has worms!
    !
    The company that does the dog tablet had leaflets in the vets advising that people with dogs should do them selves as well
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Yep rang my sister whos a pharmacy technician in Boots and she said its called Vermox (contains mebendazole) and she said people are always in asking for it, as its over the counter,mainly for pinworms in kids .Guess where im heading after work :D
    Some times it can be a big problem in school classes , one year my niece had to get rid of them twice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I worked in a vets for a year and was never advised to worm myself but I knew it was the right thing to do anyway...so I did.
    It was mentioned a few times what types of parasites we can pick up from animals and after studying all this in college, if you saw the pictures of the parasites, you'd most likely become an OCD!

All humans have worms inside us anyway but symptoms dont always show, we have hookworms and can have tapeworms. The symptoms are a very itchy bottom (inside). This can be triggered by eating too much sugar and pork.

So, washing hands regularly, watching your dietry intakes and regularly worming your dog and if your dog/puppy gets worms, worm yourself also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Generally there is no need to worm yourself. The human body will naturally detox itself if you have a healthy balanced diet. :) Of coarse if you have any doubts visit your GP.

Advertisement