Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DELL all in one

• 05-11-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking about replacing my ageing (5 year old) desktop in the next week or two and have been looking at an all in one set up. My needs are pretty basic, and TBH, I like the look of them and the 23" monitor is appealing to me, although I doubt that the touchscreen function will keep my attention for more than a few minutes with it's limited functionality. I am strongly considering THIS and would be grateful for any thoughts in general for the basic £549 machine.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

£549? what's that in monopoly money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Diamonddec

£549? what's that in monopoly money?

The exchange rate here (Northern Ireland) yesterday in Ulster Bank was £1 = 1.10 euros, so £549 would equate to 604 euros.

Just had a check on the Dell Ireland site and the same machine is 799 euros!!!! :eek:
    That's crazy, since my last 2 laptops (most recent 3 weeks ago) came from Ireland anyway (Dublin, I think) :mad:

ya, i was gonna say it's a novelty anyway. like you said, you'd get bored of the touch screen after a while. They'd make a great space saving pc, i considered buying once for an office before, but there's better value to be had in laptops. and laptops are portable and all that.. take for example the Inspiron15R(N00N5039) online right now for €549.00 inc. vat and delivery.

ya, i was gonna say it's a novelty anyway. like you said, you'd get bored of the touch screen after a while. They'd make a great space saving pc, i considered buying once for an office before, but there's better value to be had in laptops. and laptops are portable and all that.. take for example the Inspiron15R(N00N5039) online right now for €549.00 inc. vat and delivery.

Cheers! :) We already have 2 laptops in the house (Dell Vostros) for my 2 kids, plus an Acer netbook that I use mainly in bed! :( so it's not really a portability issue for me. The All in one would be a replacement for my desktop and I guess if I put together a "traditional" package with a 23" HD screen, the all in one would represent decent value. Having said that, I am a novice, so don't know much. As I said before, my needs are very simple and DOESN'T include gaming, just a lot of browsing, listening to internet radio when I'm on and storing a little music and photos.... that's it!

I'm doing a pretty good job of talking my way into buying this, aren't I? :D

I must get out of bed (and off this netbook) :D ...and get my finger out and press the "order" button ... made more urgent as there was a strong burning smell coming from my old desktop last night... it's knackered! :(

Diamonddec wrote: »
    I must get out of bed (and off this netbook)
    lol! snap.. haha! except for the netbook part, i just couldn't use a screen that small!

if you like it enough that you're still thinking about it a day later, then do it. You could probably search around for better value, more screen & storage, but if you like the all in one, do it. They do look good and you don't have the same crap of cables everywhere, ya know?

• Advertisement

lol! snap.. haha! except for the netbook part, i just couldn't use a screen that small!

I'm only getting up because the wife is coming home from work for lunch at 1 o'clock and I'm feeling guilty ... I suppose I'd better throw a few rashers of bacon between some bread for her lunch! It's a lazy house ... 15 year old in bed texting :rolleyes: ... and 14 year old on xbox! :rolleyes: ... The lazy so and so's.... :o

if you like it enough that you're still thinking about it a day later, then do it. You could probably search around for better value, more screen & storage, but if you like the all in one, do it.

You've pushed me over the edge... I'll order after my culinary masterclass (bacon sarnies) :(:D

They do look good and you don't have the same crap of cables everywhere, ya know?

Absolutely, and I got a new WIRELESS HP printer/copy/scanner combo yesterday, so that will help too! :)

Thank you! :)

no probs. as for the touch screen, you'll just have to find some fun uses for it, google earth, etc..! :)

no probs. as for the touch screen, you'll just have to find some fun uses for it, google earth, etc..! :)

:D ... There's always that, I suppose! :(

Just ordered it... I will let you know what I think of it in due course...

Thanks again.

Well, after ordering the Dell Inspiron one, all in one last saturday, and given a delivery date on or about 28th November :rolleyes:, I got an email from the carriers last night to say that it would be delivered on Monday! :eek: ... I phoned my local depot this morning and he said that he was just about to load it on the van for Monday delivery, and that I could come and pick it up if I wanted... so I did and it was up and running in just a few minutes. First impressions are very favourable. However, as I said before, I am hardly a demanding user, but I am well happy with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

How is the all in one, anything bad with it or all good?

• Advertisement

All good so far. The wife is happy as I've got half the wires that I used to have. It comes with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I am really impressed with it, mainly because of the screen being a big, bright and clear 23", when I have previously been used to a 17"! :( The sound isn't too bad either, so I have dispensed with my external speakers. There are plenty of USB sockets (6 I think) and card readers.
    Everything works really fast compared to my old machine and I even like Windows 7 having been used to XP previously. It's a big leap forward from my old setup. Very happy. :)

Advertisement