Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Galway County Council on flooding prevention

Options
  • 05-11-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure they're already thinking of measures to prevent last years problems, and hopefully has learned a few lessons but maybe the locals can point out areas that they feel should be looked at?

I don't even know if they read boards but hey, it's worth a shot :)
    Btw, don't use this thread to give out. This thread is supposed to be helping, not venting. Thanks.

I'll start:
    They can hand out brochures with info on where to get sandbags if needed.
    They can make sure that elderly people living alone in in affected area has a phone number on who to call if they need help protecting their house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Good thread biko!

I think a relatively effective flood prevention measure would be dredging the river Clare - I don't think anything has been done there since last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Dredging the river only makes it narrower and flow faster, thus flooding the lower reaches of it's natural flood plane, (Claregalway). The answer although too late now was not to build houses on flood planes. Maybe a relief river (man made) around the town would be a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The current river flowing through Claregalway is already a relief river. You know that bridge above road height across from the arches hotel, Yep the river used to flow under that at that height.

Is it any wonder it achieved it's old height during the floods last year

Advertisement