Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclist O'Loughlin hits out after quitting national squad

• 05-11-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

From the Mayo News

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11275:cyclist-oloughlin-hits-out-after-quitting-national-squad&catid=14&Itemid=100008

DAVID O’Loughlin has quit the Ireland track team, ending his dream of qualifying for the 2012 Olympic Games. His resignation is a sad end to a meteoric track career that saw him rise from raw novice to world-ranked pursuiter in just a few short years.
    In recent months O’Loughlin became disillusioned with the national team set-up and announced his withdrawal last Thursday “Things were not up to scratch, we were not going to qualify for the London Games,” he told The Mayo News.
    O’Loughlin (32) maintains that some of the younger team members lack commitment to the track. “They just want to be road riders and become the next Nicolas Roche but they’re too soft, it’s a hard sport and sacrifices have to be made,” he said.
    He also criticises the team management. “You wonder why those people in power let these young kids get away with it, they had too much freedom,” he said.
    Back in 2006 O’Loughlin – one of the country’s leading road racers – surprised the cycling world by turning to the track.
    Within two years he had progressed sufficiently to finish sixth in the world pursuit championships and qualify for the Olympics. His 11th place in Beijing was something of a disappointment, but he hit back the following year by collecting silver and bronze medals in World Cup events.
    In the early years he was racing as an individual with Irish Sports Council and Cycling Ireland backing.
    Encouraged by O’Loughlin’s trail-blazing efforts, the funding bodies invested more money and resources into track racing and formed a team pursuit squad, comprising mainly of younger riders with O’Loughlin as the corner stone.
    By August 2010, it was time to start preparing the team for the gruelling round of qualifying events which it was hoped would lead to a place in London 2012.
    “The run-up to the Games was getting serious and the selection criteria were tough,” said O’Loughlin. Ireland would need to finish among the top six teams in Europe to qualify. A track training camp was scheduled to take place in Aigle, Switzerland, but O’Loughlin was dismayed to find only three squad members turned up. Apparently the absentees gave higher priority to preparing for the upcoming Tour of Britain.
    September saw the men’s and women’s track squads racing on the new track in Apeldoorn, Holland. The pursuit team failed to shine and O’Loughlin criticised some of his team-mates for lack of fitness. This and other aspects of the trip prompted him to quit.
    O’Loughlin and his wife Mary recently started a business as importers and retailers of bikes and components. However, O’Loughlin denies that business commitments influenced his decision.
    “Mary and I were quite willing to put things on hold until after the 2012 Games but things were not up to scratch – we were not going to qualify,” he said. “I feel a little bit bitter; I was going along fine and was being dragged down to their level. I could have gone the solo route but then I’d have been the bad guy again, not supporting the team.”
    Cycling Ireland performance director Phil Leigh described O’Loughlin’s departure as a “huge loss” to the track programme. “It is hard to envisage a track team without David being part of it,” he said.
    O’Loughlin’s track adventure may be over, but he is still a formidable road rider and plans a full road racing season in 2011.
    “I have had some [sponsorship] offers and have two options, I’ll decide shortly. I am looking forward to coming to the road fresh, unlike the past five years when I’ve come from a winter track season. I’ll be doing a lot more domestic racing and I still want to ride internationally as well,” he said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Dura Ace wrote: »
    O’Loughlin (32) maintains that some of the younger team members lack commitment to the track. “They just want to be road riders and become the next Nicolas Roche but they’re too soft, it’s a hard sport and sacrifices have to be made,” he said.

Does anybody know what does he mean by this?
    Does he think that they are "too soft" to do both, or is it that he considers road to be "harder" than track?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Possibly I'm missing some politics here but what's going on? Is the implication that some guys took a grant to do track but then bailed to the road when they had a chance? I guess there's not much money on the track but is the chance of making it on road for guys at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Could he not have stayed on for the individual pursuit ? If lads don't have any interest in doing it you can't force them to. I may be missing a huge chunk of logic here but it appears he cut off his own nose to spite his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Could he not have stayed on for the individual pursuit ?

There is no individual pursuit.

edit: qualification process here. I don't understand much of it myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    Possibly I'm missing some politics here but what's going on? Is the implication that some guys took a grant to do track but then bailed to the road when they had a chance? I guess there's not much money on the track but is the chance of making it on road for guys at this level.
    Lumen wrote: »

Seems like you've hit it on the head Shaungil

And Lumen basically to qualify we need to racked in the top 6 nations in Europe to qualify for the team pursuit.

I'm sorry to see him go but understand why he did. If you see our national record is 4:11 (I think) and to be top 6 now we need to go 4:07.

That said the team pursuit is moving even further ahead now and where 4:07 would have won a medal as recently at 1996 now Gold is won at 3:53 (Beijing) and prob faster again in London.

So to be top 6 in Europe by 2012 maybe 4:04 will be nessecary.

The N Ire squad which won bronze at the commonwealths did a 4:19 BTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lumen wrote: »

Oh, what's the event where I'm thinking of that Boardman won all the time where two riders started either side of the track, just a time trial of some sort ? Or is it that that's not in the olympics ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

The IP is no longer an olympic track discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Seems poor form of O'Loughlin to hit out at the system who helped, supported and funded him now he has quit

It's not Cycling Ireland's fault the the indiv pursuit ain't on Olympic menu anymore - maybe he realises he can't adapt to another track discipline and ride the free trip gravy train he has enjoyed for several years.

Anyway he never even excelled at that discipline at world champ / olympic level. Sure wasn't his rides at every worlds he took part in and the Bejing a big let down?

Granted he got a world cup medal but wasn't that when alot of big teams were focusing on rebuilding etc!??

So good luck Dave with the new shop - hope some of the taxpayers that funded your trips and bikes over the last few years also enjoy the wares they can now buy in your shop. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

Slideshowbob - you clearly have very little knowledge of O Loughlin as a rider or more importantly as a person to say what you have. One of the most genuine and successful riders that Ireland has had for the last 10 years or so.

Cycling Irelands whole focus on the track is ill advised and was/is never going to replicate the success of the GB system that it is based on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Cycling Ireland are focussing on a discipline that they have no facilities for in the mistaken belief that we can emulate the success of the British team and do it with a tiny fraction of the budget. If they really want to do it, they need to fund a full squad and backup team, relocate them to Manchester or Newport and keep them together and send them to all the world cup events. The Tesco value approach is not going to work.

DOL was very successful on the track despite this and although he may not have been top of the podium material, he exceeded expectations and scored some very nice results. The sort of which we have no right to expect. On top of that he is a gentleman and does not possess the cynicism required to be anything like the portrait painted of him above.

• Advertisement

D20903 wrote: »
    Slideshowbob - you clearly have very little knowledge of O Loughlin as a rider or more importantly as a person to say what you have. One of the most genuine and successful riders that Ireland has had for the last 10 years or so.

Cycling Irelands whole focus on the track is ill advised and was/is never going to replicate the success of the GB system that it is based on.

I am commenting here on what I see in the media.

It's strange he chose a regional newspaper with no particular history for cycling scoops to raise his issues with the "system". Then again he has opened a bike shop in the area from what I hear.

Other ex Internationals have put alot back into the sport recently.

I find it unfortunate that DOL appears to have gone about it this way. Has he raised these matters at club/team/regional/track commission/federation level first?

Would it not have been more productive to work with the squad or advise at CI AGM what the problems are?

How come since I've been connected with Irish cycling (about 20 years) everyone now and again blames the Federation/system?

Yet - the personnel in that system has probably changed entirely on several occasions?

One thing that has not changed maybe as much is the core CI membership or the profile of its typical member.

Is it like politics? We get the politicians we vote for etc?

Most people here listen to DOL's soundbytes and seem to feel sorry for him. It's just my sentiments for him are not as strong.

D20903 - it seems you may know more to it than is common knowledge so can you elaborate? thanks

I know DOL was very successful over the years, on road and track.

And I gather he is quite genuine never accused him of anything else - not sure what that had to do with the thread though? Anyway being genuine is subjective. Someone could feel they are 100% genuine yet to another group of people they could be deluded!!!

PS I wonder how staff etc in Department of Sport / OCI / Irish Institute of Sport feel about continuted support Irish cycling if they saw DOL's comments?

Also, how do all the volunteers in Irish track cycling feel if they are given the impression any work to make world class athletes ends up in this apparent disillusionment???

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

D20903 wrote: »

+1. Not a clue.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Collumbo wrote: »
    +1. Not a clue.
    If you want to say something positive about David O'Loughlin, say it. Your post adds nothing to the thread.

Attack the post, not the poster

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I am commenting here on what I see in the media.

It's strange he chose a regional newspaper with no particular history for cycling scoops to raise his issues with the "system". Then again he has opened a bike shop in the area from what I hear.

To be honest it looks quiet likely that he was speaking with a reporter in his local paper that knew him with a number of years, and knowing DoL he gave an honest assessment of what was up with the system and his chances being ended. Also if he's out to promote his 'business' then I think everyone would agree be critical of the system isn't going to promote his business, if he was interested in doing that, he could have trotted out the usual platitudes and plugged his business at every given chance, he didn't do that, so I don't know what you are trying to assert with that part of your post ?
    Other ex Internationals have put alot back into the sport recently.

And ? With this you've made it seem like DoL is some sort of sponger that took everything from the sport and has handed nothing back, he was the reason a bloody track program was put together in the first place, if it wasn't for him ploughing a lone furrow in the IP we wouldn't have anything now. He's also been one of the most solid road men in this country for the past 10 years. That comment is snide and denegrates DoL's good name.
    I find it unfortunate that DOL appears to have gone about it this way. Has he raised these matters at club/team/regional/track commission/federation level first?

I think you'll find that the club/team/regional/track commission have nothing to do with it, and from my reading of his statement it looks like the people in charge of the track team are as complicit as they've not seen what is going on under their noses.
    Would it not have been more productive to work with the squad or advise at CI AGM what the problems are?

It's turning to 2011 now, if they are only getting 3 riders turning up for TP training he may as well have turned to the road as he's training on his own. They've got a year of competition and training to qualify, he's asked him self is it worth the hassle for what may be his last chance and have others just not bothered ? So I don't think it would have been more productive for him to piss two years up against a wall. The CI AGM isn't a place for this, the structures should be in place for reviews of progress through out the year, it's what any professional squad do.
    How come since I've been connected with Irish cycling (about 20 years) everyone now and again blames the Federation/system?

Probably because the Federation/system is at fault.

Most people here listen to DOL's soundbytes and seem to feel sorry for him. It's just my sentiments for him are not as strong.

Yes your sentiments are, but they are negative, trying to stir something, I know I should have bitten on this but I have. No one is giving out sympathy, people are offering an opinion you just think it's sympathy since they don't agree with you.

Also, how do all the volunteers in Irish track cycling feel if they are given the impression any work to make world class athletes ends up in this apparent disillusionment???

Why not ask them instead of posting rhetorical questions on the internet, ring up Kanturk CC and ask them about it ? I mean it's not as if any Irish Track cycling volunteers were involved in the development of DoL, and to be fair it's not as if there's a full system of track development here in Ireland, if they should be questioning anyone it should be the performance director for answers.

Junior wrote: »
    To be honest it looks quiet likely that he was speaking with a reporter in his local paper that knew him with a number of years, and knowing DoL he gave an honest assessment of what was up with the system and his chances being ended. Also if he's out to promote his 'business' then I think everyone would agree be critical of the system isn't going to promote his business, if he was interested in doing that, he could have trotted out the usual platitudes and plugged his business at every given chance, he didn't do that, so I don't know what you are trying to assert with that part of your post ?

And ? With this you've made it seem like DoL is some sort of sponger that took everything from the sport and has handed nothing back, he was the reason a bloody track program was put together in the first place, if it wasn't for him ploughing a lone furrow in the IP we wouldn't have anything now. He's also been one of the most solid road men in this country for the past 10 years. That comment is snide and denegrates DoL's good name.

I think you'll find that the club/team/regional/track commission have nothing to do with it, and from my reading of his statement it looks like the people in charge of the track team are as complicit as they've not seen what is going on under their noses.

It's turning to 2011 now, if they are only getting 3 riders turning up for TP training he may as well have turned to the road as he's training on his own. They've got a year of competition and training to qualify, he's asked him self is it worth the hassle for what may be his last chance and have others just not bothered ? So I don't think it would have been more productive for him to piss two years up against a wall. The CI AGM isn't a place for this, the structures should be in place for reviews of progress through out the year, it's what any professional squad do.

Probably because the Federation/system is at fault.

Yes your sentiments are, but they are negative, trying to stir something, I know I should have bitten on this but I have. No one is giving out sympathy, people are offering an opinion you just think it's sympathy since they don't agree with you.

Why not ask them instead of posting rhetorical questions on the internet, ring up Kanturk CC and ask them about it ? I mean it's not as if any Irish Track cycling volunteers were involved in the development of DoL, and to be fair it's not as if there's a full system of track development here in Ireland, if they should be questioning anyone it should be the performance director for answers.

I am not in a position to assert anything - just an observation. I could make another observation on the matters but I'll hold off for now at risk of offending any more in here.

Never said DOL was a sponger - don't be putting words in my mouth.

This is just my personal opinion sorry, but if you want to accuse me of snide and denegrading comments, I could equally say DOL's about CI were snide and denegrading too but I would not quite feel the need to. FYI CI is an organisation to which I have contributed much over the years, and got alot out of in return I'll add.

Again him being a "solid road man" has nothing to do with much in relation to the context of the original post.

Clubs, teams (in the sense of racing teams in Ireland), and regions etc all have an input into Cycling Ireland so I think you are off the mark above.

"The people in charge of the track team" are answerable to the CI board and the CI AGM as far as I know so I think my point is valid, but you are entirely welcome to correct me if you can provide some links to demonstrate the autonomy of them somewhere on the web.

I differ with you again above as I believe the CI AGM and its structures via prior correspondence with clubs/provinces etc is in fact the one of the best places where such systemic problems can be identifed, discussed and through processes, eradicated, buit perhaps you can correct me on this?

Also, just to point out, its not actually a professional squad, some riders are professional, and as I understand it, although there are some paid CI employees involved, not all those involved are paid and they do things on a voluntary basis. I am open to correction on this by all means.

You may call me negitive but I see my comments as positive in relation to the overall development of cycle sport. I just happen to personally believe expressing such views via a regional newspaper may not be the best means of expression of such grievances excuse me.

If there are problems in the system, I think people should raise them through established structures within Cycling Ireland. Then lessons, if any, could be learnt, and correct/improved protocol established.

To accuse me of merely stirring on here is off the mark. I am expressing my opinion.

Ring up Kanturk? huh? Who said it was a rhetorical question? This is a discussion forum. If you dont have the imagination to entertain such thoughts dont be getting at me!! You dont have to know all the answers its ok !!

Anyway - is there a rule against asking rhetorical questions on the internet or something? God help us all so!! :)

To say "it's not as if any Irish Track cycling volunteers were involved in the development of DoL" is wrong. I won't elaborate on who I can think of who would fit this role, but at least 2 people spring to mind immediately.

Finally, I am sure track volunteers can decide whats best for themselves - they hardly need your prompts for such!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

It might be a regional paper, but the journalist in question was Martin Ayres. He's the ex-editor of Cycling Weekly. I'd say he's a had a few scoops over the years. I'm not taking about pints either:D

cormpat wrote: »
    It might be a regional paper, but the journalist in question was Martin Ayres. He's the ex-editor of Cycling Weekly. I'd say he's a had a few scoops over the years. I'm not taking about pints either:D

Thanks for that. Explains a few things....

Blame CI I say!

last year there were 3 people for 2 places on the board. This year there are 2 people for 2 places!! I disagree with the politicians statement earlier on in the thread as people dont bother to stand for election. Sorry for going OT.
    He is at a crossroads I suppose. Disillusioned with some of the other ones and then he had a baby and trying to get a business up and running....

and by the way I am a board member!!!

morana wrote: »
    Blame CI I say!

last year there were 3 people for 2 places on the board. This year there are 2 people for 2 places!! I disagree with the politicians statement earlier on in the thread as people dont bother to stand for election. Sorry for going OT.
    He is at a crossroads I suppose. Disillusioned with some of the other ones and then he had a baby and trying to get a business up and running....

and by the way I am a board member!!!

Thanks

My point exactly. Members gets the board members they deserve

Thanks

My point exactly. Members gets the board members they deserve

HA HA I dont know what way to take that!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

morana wrote: »
    HA HA I dont know what way to take that!!!!
    I'm not sure I do either!! I will, however, re-iterate to everyone not to get personal

Thanks for declaring your "interest" morana. It's always helpful if everyone knows when there is such a connection

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Northener

From what I know of David O'Loughlin,he ought to be listened to.
    He has given alot to cycling and has apparently been disillusioned by what he experienced in this years track campaign.
    It is also good to see that one of the CI board members is nearby and hopefully he will,on our behalf, investigate whether David has valid criticisms or not.
    I for one will be hoping that we as CI members are being well served by those in authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

as to an example of not quitting before the final sprint, no matter what : http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/nov/06/chris-hoy-european-elite-track-championships ... if you want something hard enough and are willing to go for it then who knows what will happen... the world is an anomaly the best we can ask of ourselves is keep the head down and power through...

Advertisement