Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The likeable (current role-models) stars at your club

• 05-11-2010 12:45pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It is interesting to note that many big teams star players are not the most liked players at their football club. Rooney, Nani & Ronaldo before them at United arent exactley the supporters most liked players, similarily Drogba's playacting on the field and JT's actions off the field dont make them fan favourites. Gerrard too has often come in for extra criticisism from Liverpool fans due to off field antics and previous intentions with Chelsea. City have a number of players like that but im still a fan of James Milner a man I consider a model pro. He's a likeable chap and still a star.

Who is it that you really like to see represent your club? not only because of their talent but also because they play the game the way you believe it should be played and are an example to follow. Who are the current role models in the game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

At Liverpool there's really only one.

Pepe Reina! Like Bruce Grobbelaar, but without the shady allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The most obvious pair, Giggs and Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It is interesting to note that many big teams star players are not the most liked players at their football club. Rooney, Nani & Ronaldo before them at United arent exactley the supporters most liked players, similarily Drogba's playacting on the field and JT's actions off the field dont make them fan favourites. Gerrard too has often come in for extra criticisism from Liverpool fans due to off field antics and previous intentions with Chelsea. City have a number of players like that but im still a fan of James Milner a man I consider a model pro. He's a likeable chap and still a star.

Who is it that you really like to see represent your club? not only because of their talent but also because they play the game the way you believe it should be played and are an example to follow. Who are the current role models in the game

Hernandez at United.

Just seems to freaking love playing, and for United. The goal vs Wolves is a good example of why i like him, apart from the composed dummy and finish.

He was fouled in the centre circle - instead of moaning at the ref or holding his ankle, he got right back up and sprinted into position to recieve the ball and eventually score. As all players should do, but many, many don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Dawson I think is just a ridiculously nice guy there is a bunch though that appear at least to be model pro's
    Luka and Bale for instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Michel Salgado at Blackburn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Dawson I think is just a ridiculously nice guy there is a bunch though that appear at least to be model pro's
    Luka and Bale for instance
    As Forest fan I still hold Dawson in high esteem. Always like to see him do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Everyone in this photo
    Conor O'Grady Gavin Peers Joseph Ndo Romuald Boco and Paul Cook - all a credit to the club

INPHO_00468870.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pepe Reina, easily.

as passionate as the day is long, and is the source of good morale (so we're told) in both the Liverpool and Spanish dressing rooms.

the only fans i know who have a problem with him are Utd fans after he ran the length of the pitch at Anfield during that game last year.

and maybe the odd Arsenal fan who didn't like him putting a Barca top on Cesc in the summer.

an honourable mention to David N'Gog, whose just a hard working young player, no frills, isn't the most talented in the world, but is realising the potential he has, and is improving in leaps and bounds as a result. he seems to just keep his head down and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

For those talking about English clubs Reina does seem like a good guy likewise Giggs and Scholes at Manchester United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

0,,5~7805168,00.jpg

One of the great role models in football, on what i think may have been his last birthday! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Scott Parker. Puts 110% into pretty much every game. Our ex reserve keeper Jimmy Walker was a great guy as well. Always took time before every game to chat with the fans and was a great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Vidic is a excellent role model IMO .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

At the moment; Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique, Steve Harper, Colo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Pity he's moved on now, but when he was at the club.. boy, what a role model.

diouf-liverpool-400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Gary Neville and Nani, loved by fans and foes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Colm Tresson - has given his all to the club for the best part of the last twenty years. He even postponed his retirement this year just to help us out. He always tries his best, even though he's been going downhill for the last two years as he's struggled with injuries. He's always been a pro on and off the pitch and is a perfect example for any footballer.

He's an absolute legend. The best Wanderers player by a million miles, ever.

Diego Forlán and Petr Cech are two others who spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Gary Neville and Nani, loved by fans and foes.

Ehhhhhhh no.

At City, Joe Hart has proven himself to be extremely dedicated both on and off the pitch. Really shows great maturity for his age.

Milner is a worthy mention, as is Mad Pablo and probably Adam Johnson, even if he does like a scoop or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

As much as he is poor at football would have to be Eboué at Arsenal for me. He always wants to be involved, whenever someone scores he's always the first there to celebrate with them, and even when he's on the bench he usually jumps up and runs out to the touchline to celebrate, often with the player coming to him. It's well recognised he's one of the most likeable characters in the dressing room and he goes to every game even when he's not playing you'll often see him in the stand.

EDIT: I didn't mean first team games he's not playing, but he goes to the CC games where the kids get played and Reserve games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Reina is the obvious one at Liverpool.

Honourable mentions go to Maxi, Lucas and Kyrgiakos.

They've all had good and bad spells at the club but they all seem like level headed professionals who keep focused on their game. Maxi and Lucas in particular have had some tough times since coming to the club but it looks like they've both turned a corner. The Greeks just a legend, has the makings of a cult hero if he maintains his good form.

Also I agree with SlickRic re: N'gog.

Obviously Torres as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

MR NINE wrote: »
    Kyrgiakos.

Seconded.

Seems like your typical 'larger than life' personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Kyrgiakos.

Still have great memories of him during his first season at Ibrox, was a big part of our title win that year.

On "Helicopter Sunday" when the players came back to Ibrox to parade the trophy in front of the 30,000 fans who had gathered to see them he was obviously having the time of his life.

The celebrations were cut short after a handful of idiots decided to run onto the pitch, the players were hauled off the park and the lights switched out and the PA announcer told everyone to go home.

Suddenly Soti appears at the front of the upper tier in one of the stands (Govan rear for anyone who knows Ibrox, the only part of the stadium with no fans in it) jumping around and singing with the rest of the bears!
    Fantastic.

Shame it all went downhill the season after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Although Giggs and Scholes are fantastic examples and you cannot argue with either , For me Solskjaer throughout his playing career and his work for the club since he retired has being the perfect role-model and a perfect example for any aspiring young player to try emulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Frank Lampard, an absolute gentleman who deserves far more respect from other fans than he gets. A model proffesional, in the football world he's essentially Einstein and Plato roled into one and the phone in incident shows he has intense amounts of self respect without bordering on the cockyness that most proffesional athletes have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Frank Lampard, an absolute gentleman who deserves far more respect from other fans than he gets. A model proffesional, in the football world he's essentially Einstein and Plato roled into one and the phone in incident shows he has intense amounts of self respect without bordering on the cockyness that most proffesional athletes have

Was just going come in and post Frank Lampard, nothing but huge respect for Frank, a role model for any of the younger players at the club and truth be told I think he gets a raw deal from other fans, but thats to be expected hwen you play for Chelsea these days ;)

Also a mention to Petr Cech and Michael Essien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Amazed no United fans have said Bebe yet. He's actually a proper role model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ruud Van Nistelrooy is a very likeable guy. He always has time for the fans and he does a lot of children's charity work with his wife.

When I was over in Hamburg earlier in the year I went to a training session, most training sessions I've been to no matter what the team the players usually just wave to the fans who came out to see them train. But Ruud stopped and spent a good 10 minutes shaking hands with people, signing autographs, taking pictures with fans and thanking them for coming out on a cold day. I thought that was awesome :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhh no.

At City, Joe Hart has proven himself to be extremely dedicated both on and off the pitch. Really shows great maturity for his age.

Milner is a worthy mention, as is Mad Pablo and probably Adam Johnson, even if he does like a scoop or two.

Not lately!!!
    I reckon Reina, Lampard, Fletcher, Hernandez, Bale, Nolan, Vidic, to name a few, would be what I call role models for kids.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Amazed no United fans have said Bebe yet. He's actually a proper role model

Well lets just see what his attitude is like over the next 12 months or so, but yeah so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

At Birmingham City Kevin Phillips and Maik Taylor stand out, despite their ages they still want to be challenging for a starting spot. Great attitude towards the game and to helping develop the younger players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Just as I mentioned Hernandez earlier....

MUTV had a behind the scenes tv program on the United tour of America this summer. They showed when Hernandez arrived at the club, was brilliant.

He was standing with admin staff and as players were going by he was eager to shake their hands and say "Hi, great to see you" or something like that. He shook Kuszczaks hand and said similar, and Kuszczak said something non-commital. A minute later you could hear one of the United players or staff explain to Kuszcak who Hernandez was, at which point he came back over to appologize. Was funny to see, the way Hernandez was acting towards everyone was nice to see.

Showed him going to a autograph signing in a sports store in America and being overwhelmed by the amount of people that were there. "They are here to see me? Noooooo, really? me?".

Love that guy already!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    At Birmingham City Kevin Phillips and Maik Taylor stand out, despite their ages they still want to be challenging for a starting spot. Great attitude towards the game and to helping develop the younger players.

since you mention them despite looking like he is about to knife/headbutt someone all the time Carr would also get a mention for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

lampard is one of the best im the PL IMO.
    the rest would include:

Richard Dunne, heskey, kevin davies and stephen ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Alan Smith for me. He's not getting much game time this year but his "get on with it" attitude at a time when the club was in the sh*t is commendable.

He has been playing out of position and has happily adjusted to it. Never afraid to get stuck in. He can be a loose cannon at times but he's a good mentor at the club for me and would certainly be someone I'd have an awful lot of time for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That_Guy wrote: »
    Alan Smith for me. He's not getting much game time this year but his "get on with it" attitude at a time when the club was in the sh*t is commendable.

He has been playing out of position and has happily adjusted to it. Never afraid to get stuck in. He can be a loose cannon at times but he's a good mentor at the club for me and would certainly be someone I'd have an awful lot of time for.

Yeah, forgot Smudge. Awful player, but always gives his all and by all accounts, really popular in the dressing room. I'm glad he's at the club as long as his playing time is minimised. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Ale Del Piero. He's such a good role model he has lunch with nuns. :p

attachment.php?attachmentid=133810&d=1288969347

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

killwill wrote: »
    Not lately!!!.

Meh, he's 22 and had a few scoops. If anything that's more reason to like him.

Both trips were authorised btw, the first was his mate's stag and the second was a head wetting for Gareth Barry's baby so not like he went behind the club's back or anything.

I'm more talking about how he works with kids in the community, is the first and last at training, and cut short his holidays by two weeks after the World Cup to go on City's US Tour and fight for the number 1 shirt.

Top lad is Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Keith Fahey. Former LOI player who didn't initially make it into the top tier of English football.

He came to Ireland to play for St.Pats. His talent was noticed and got snapped up by Birmingham City. Eventually got his call-up to the Irish team and scored for us and is gaining attention.

Really nice guy who worked hard to get where he is today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Frisbee wrote: »
    As much as he is poor at football would have to be Eboué at Arsenal for me. He always wants to be involved, whenever someone scores he's always the first there to celebrate with them, and even when he's on the bench he usually jumps up and runs out to the touchline to celebrate, often with the player coming to him. It's well recognised he's one of the most likeable characters in the dressing room and he goes to every game even when he's not playing you'll often see him in the stand.

EDIT: I didn't mean first team games he's not playing, but he goes to the CC games where the kids get played and Reserve games.

Love the way he becomes Ball Boy if we are losing or level late on and he is on the bench, for our throws especially around halfway he is always legging it to give the ball back to get the team going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Tim Cahill, Xavi and God Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There are a few at present at Spurs, but my favourite is definietly Modric. Linked with huge clubs all the time (most recently Barcelona) but always says he can achieve what he wants at Spurs.

Outside of Tottenham I really admire the likes of Xavi, Reina, Torres and Cesc. All Spanish - perhaps it the way they're brought up.
    Matt Le Tissier deserves a mention as well, he could have played for any club he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

liverpool fan so i'd say pepe and lucas. i for one thought he was rubbish as did many but kept his head down ignored everyone and is arguably our best player this season.

Messi on a worldwide level there seems to be nothing this guy does wrong on or off the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Van Der Sar, to still be playing at the top level at 40 is impressive. He seems a nice bloke too. It'll be sad to see him leave :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Frank Lampard. An absolute model professional who gives everything all the time and has always carried himself with the upmost dignity even when people and radio dj's were trying to be smart with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

jamie carragher would be a great role model for lfc and pepe reina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Nemanja Vidic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Henrik Larsson was training at Lennoxtown today, so I can mention him on a technicality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Frankie Lampard. :)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Meh, he's 22 and had a few scoops. If anything that's more reason to like him.

Both trips were authorised btw, the first was his mate's stag and the second was a head wetting for Gareth Barry's baby so not like he went behind the club's back or anything.

I'm more talking about how he works with kids in the community, is the first and last at training, and cut short his holidays by two weeks after the World Cup to go on City's US Tour and fight for the number 1 shirt.

Top lad is Joe.

Xavi I was only joking, he is top notch alright, it will be exciting to see how his future unfolds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

David Wheater. Stuck with Boro through all the ****e of the last 3 years when he could've moved on like Downing, Johnson and the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Tim Cahill at Everton. The fans love him and he loves the fans. Not the most skillful player in the world but gives his all every match and scores important goals. An Everton legend :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement