Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The likeable (current role-models) stars at your club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Park Ji-Sung. Gives it his all every time he plays. I haven't heard him moan or complain when he is left on the bench, even when he missed out on the Champions League squad in 2008 which won the trophy. He said afterwards he was pleased that the team won. He carries himself with dignity always and this despite the fact he is a mega star in his native land. He's exactly the kind of player you want at a club. I love him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

united have so many. lads who are good lads and an example to us all, the biggest are the most obvious -

van der sar
    giggs
    scholes

then the likes of vidic, fletcher, john o shea and hernandez. the bebe story could hopefully become one of the best football stories of all time, though its far too early to say how it will work out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

At Milan there are a few. Nesta, Ambrosini and Zambrotta being the Obvious ones. All 3 have played at the highest level for over a decade and won everything possible. Perfect role models.y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Seaneh wrote: »
    At Milan there are a few. Nesta, Ambrosini and Zambrotta being the Obvious ones. All 3 have played at the highest level for over a decade and won everything possible. Perfect role models.y
    I think I saw someone mention Fabregas as a Role Model?

Great football player, but far from a role model.

For me it would have to be Paul Scholes as the ultimate role model, with Giggs, VDS, Chicho and hopefully bebe following in his footsteps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Giggs
    Scholes
    VDS
    Neville(a lovable rogue:P)
    Park Ji
    Fletcher
    JO'S
    Vidic
    Chicharito
    Evra

Hopefully Bebe will go on to become a great player for United, because as Homerjay said it'd be one of the best football stories ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he's an ex-player, so not at all current, obviously, but you think role model+football you have to =

Paolo-Maldini.jpg

/thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Cheick Tiote, big time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

baz2009 wrote: »
    Giggs
    Scholes
    VDS
    Neville(a lovable rogue:P)
    Park Ji
    Fletcher
    JO'S
    Vidic
    Chicharito
    Evra

Hopefully Bebe will go on to become a great player for United, because as Homerjay said it'd be one of the best football stories ever.

rolemodels or the united starting lineup for saturday

Iang87 wrote: »

Both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

IVANOVIC for Chelsea is defo a fan favourite. Gives everything in every game and is a beast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

IVANOVIC for Chelsea is defo a fan favourite. Gives everything in every game and is a beast!

I do like Ivanovic. The way he chased down a ball that was going out for a corner from 35 yards out to put it out for a throw against Spartak on Tuesday was seriously impressive. Most players would just have let it go. Class act since he started playing regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Seaneh wrote: »

Oddo has always seemed like a good guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Reina and Gerrard.

Mister men wrote: »
    Reina and Gerrard.

Gerrard, again a fantastic player at times, but not someone I would consider a role model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Don't know about likeable from his personal life point of view but from a football point of view Gabby Agbonlahor.

He's show determination to work hard and try to better himself, and is a good example to all the young players on how to work to establish themselves in the first team. Every season he seems to have worked on one of his weaknesses e.g. last year when he bulked up so he could better take on physical defenders. And he also seems to enjoy playing.

Also Carlos Culleur, has never complained when either not played or played out of position and seems like a model pro and nice guy.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    Giggs - one club man, can still play at the top level at his age.
    Scholes - as above.
    VDS - fantastic that he's still in the top 10 goalies in the world despite being 40.
    Neville(a lovable rogue:P) - no one that doesn't support United probably likes him, but I love him. Ridiculously passionte about United.
    Park Ji - not the most talented, but he tries so damn hard.
    Fletcher - rated by very few people in his ounger days but he persevered and is now one of the first names on the United teamsheet.
    JO'S - also not a fan favourite when he first came on the scene, but he's almost one of a kind. He'll play anywhere and doesn't complain when he doesn't start. Professional man.
    Vidic - beast and he's stayed with United despite the rumours of his wife bitching to him to go to Real.
    Chicharito - if you can't love the man just go sit in a corner.:P
    Evra - debatable due to the spat with the Chelsea staff and his role in the French debacle at the WC. Despite being French, he speaks about United as if he was brought up on the forecourt of Old Trafford. He's really grasped what being a United player is about.

Iang87 wrote: »

Some reasoning behind my choices.:)
    Not everyone will agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

As a Chelsea Fan

Lamps - Don't know why he gets the stick he does. I know its mostly the fact he plays with chelsea. A great player, no need to explain

Essien - Don't need to explain this I think. The engine of the chlesea team and a great charity worker off the field

Ivan - Great Defender. Busts a Gut

Giggs & Scholes - Don't think i need to explain. 2 great model pro

I was going to say fabregas, but he really let himself down with spitting on ballack/ hull managmemt.

john o shea also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Loads of highly respected, well paid players nominated on this thread.

However, I'd like to nominate a player who has brought professionalism to an amateur club, in the truest sense, at Wexford Youths.

Our goalkeeper, and supporters player of the year, Packie Holden is an example to all aspiring players. He gives 100%, loves a win, hates a defeat, gives all in training and has as much time as you want for the junior players at the club. Rumour has it that he may retire now after this season. Personally, I hope not. I fine exponent of passion in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I would consider Lucas a good role model if we're talking LFC. Kept his head down when he was having **** thrown at him, was being degraded by his own fans, overcame adversity and is now a player I and many fans are glad to see in the starting eleven.

Seeing interviews, he's very quiet and shy but has a glowing love for the club and the opportunities he's been given. I think it was Carra who mentioned once in a Q&A that he was a great character on the training pitch. Seems to be an all round top lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Gerrard, again a fantastic player at times, but not someone I would consider a role model.

Well its not what you think. Read the thread title like a good lad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

THFC wrote: »

Read what he said like a good lad.
    Bar the most idiotic pool fan you will find no liverpool fan who would take Gerrard as a good role model for many reasons.Any reasonable person regardless of club allegiances will tell you he is hardly role model material, hence the thread title.
    Maybe you should google likeable and role models... :rolleyes:

THFC wrote: »
    Quite patronising aren't we?

I do believe boards.ie is a DISCUSSION site, so opinions are welcome, and that is mine.

As a Chelsea Fan

Lamps - Don't know why he gets the stick he does. I know its mostly the fact he plays with chelsea. A great player, no need to explain

Essien - Don't need to explain this I think. The engine of the chlesea team and a great charity worker off the field

Ivan - Great Defender. Busts a Gut

Giggs & Scholes - Don't think i need to explain. 2 great model pro

I was going to say fabregas, but he really let himself down with spitting on ballack/ hull managmemt.

john o shea also
    I dislike Lampard because he is one of the main reasons United haven't been winning the title as regularly as I'd like.

But I don't know how people couldn't respect the man.

He is an exceptional player, and most definitely a role model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

d22ontour wrote: »
    Read what he said like a good lad.
    Bar the most idiotic pool fan you will find no liverpool fan who would take Gerrard as a good role model for many reasons.Any reasonable person regardless of club allegiances will tell you he is hardly role model material, hence the thread title.
    Maybe you should google likeable and role models... :rolleyes:
    I think Gerrard is a role model. Love the way you generalise fans because of your personal opinions. Now get down from that horse before you hurt yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Mister men wrote: »
    I think Gerrard is a role model. Love the way you generalise fans because of your personal opinions. Now get down from that horse before you hurt yourself.

Don't ya find it funny when someone posts idiotic liverpool fan and then gets quoted ?

Reina and Carragher would be somewhat pool role models.But hey let's go with Gerrard ???

Club role models are not something you would find are easily identified but i guess that is something above your head. :rolleyes:

Maybe i should add a woosh smiley just so you could fathom what a role model actually is ??? :o

Gerrard is as much a role model as John Terry is.

Oh, no Chelsea fans have posted that...

High horse ?

Yes because i can fathom what a role model for a club should be regardless of whom they play for...
    Can you ? Of course not, because you actually think Gerrard is a role model..For whom is he a role model ??? Actually don't answer that because i am sure your response will equally match your first.

:o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

John Terry

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I think I saw someone mention Fabregas as a Role Model?

Great football player, but far from a role model.

For me it would have to be Paul Scholes as the ultimate role model, with Giggs, VDS, Chicho and hopefully bebe following in his footsteps.

so fabregas isnt a role model, but hernandez is?

how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

event wrote: »

how does that work?

Fab doesn't play for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Stephen Rice.

/Thread.

how does that work?
    greendom wrote: »
    Fab doesn't play for United.

I haven't seen Chicho spitting on anyone, nor have I seen him laughing with a friend who has just spat on someone.

• Advertisement

how does that work?

Hernandez doesn't spit on people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ebbs wrote: »
    Stephen Rice.

/Thread.

Oh the things I could tell you. I wouldn't say role model material at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That may be true, but the lad has a habit that is far from that of a role model. Unless of course he's given up that habit in the last few years. If he has, then that is to be admired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Oh the things I could tell you. I wouldn't say role model material at all.

Mr. "Lets go to St. Andrews after loosing 3-0 to Arsenal and where's that stag party again?l" Hart is much better? Sanctioned or not, he's not a model professional/role model, just another talented player that has the potential to piss away his talent.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Mr. "Lets go to St. Andrews after loosing 3-0 to Arsenal and where's that stag party again?l" Hart is much better? Sanctioned or not, he's not a model professional/role model, just another talented player that has the potential to piss away his talent.
    What's wrong with a player going to a friends stag party?

It was sanctioned, as you say, so I can't really see much of a problem with it.

He is a fantastic keeper, and let's not forget, he is still only 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Although he doesn't play any more, he's still at United and has to be mentioned, Solskjaer. The man is a legend.

Giggs, Scholes, VDS, JOS and even Neville are beyond obvious choices.

Rooney ain't on the list and neither is Berbatov. Wonder have the lads given up the smokes amoungst other things.

Bebe and Chico and some of the other younger players, I think I'll wait a few seasons before I make a solid opinion on them.

Evra, not sure. I love his dedication to United. Whether he was a good influence at the World Cup or his actions after a Chelsea match make me doubt whether I'd class him as a good role model.

I've seen people say Fabregas (spitting), Gerrard (cheating and punch ups), Terry (ask Wayne Bridge) and Lampard (was he not cheating on his misses although I could be wrong there) but these are certainly not role models.

Oh and just in case we have somebody who wants to add Glen Johnson to the list of good role models, he got nicked trying to rob a toilet seat from B&Q (or maybe Wicks) a couple of years back. Ya gotta flucking laugh.

What's wrong with a player going to a friends stag party?

It was sanctioned, as you say, so I can't really see much of a problem with it.

He is a fantastic keeper, and let's not forget, he is still only 23.

There is going to a party and there is getting pissed at a party.

I said already that he's a talent and in the ManC thread I even said that he should start ahead of Given before it became fact but are you going to tell me that heavy drinking is role model behaviour of a professional sportsman? Only in England & Ireland is such behaviour tolerated from top pros

Dempsey wrote: »
    There is going to a party and there is getting pissed at a party.

I said already that he's a talent and in the ManC thread I even said that he should start ahead of Given before it became fact but are you going to tell me that heavy drinking is role model behaviour of a professional sportsman? Only in England & Ireland is such behaviour tolerated from top pros
    Is he not allowed enjoy himself just because he has a good job playing for a good team?

Is he not allowed enjoy himself just because he has a good job playing for a good team?

He is entitled to enjoy himself but as a professional athlete earning multimillion pound contracts he has a responsibility to do everything to ensure that he's in the best possible shape.

I'm not complaining about going nuts during the off season or drinking one or two between matches but binge drinking between matches in season like he has done.

I dunno what team you support but when its a Celtic player performing badly off the back of countless media reports that he's been out clubbing then, as a fan, I feel that he's not giving 100%.

I suppose its a case of, if I had their talent I wouldnt piss it away. I could never call them role models

EDIT

Saw your signature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Surprised none of the Liverpool fans have mentioned Dirk Kuyt , if he isnt one of the top role models in the premier league well then i dunno...
    Often stays behind after games for ages signing autographs and taking photos. Along with his wife he has also set up a charity to help disadvantaged kids. Probably one of the hardest workers on the pitch also & really seems to acknowledge how lucky he is to be a professional footballer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Dirk Kuyt

Jazzy wrote: »
    Dirk Kuyt
    Can't believe nobody suggested him before you :pac:

Kuyt, a fishermans son. His attitude and work rate is something to be admired, no surprise where he got it from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Evra, Giggs, Scholes, Hernandez, Park, O' Shea, Vidic, Edwin.

Great pros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Archimedes wrote: »
    That may be true, but the lad has a habit that is far from that of a role model. Unless of course he's given up that habit in the last few years. If he has, then that is to be admired.

Yeah, he can still go overboard a bit into tackles imo and that's coming from a Chelsea fan. Does seem like a top bloke off the pitch, comes across as shy in his interviews, does a lot of charity work and does a blog every month for the Chelsea website which is great to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I haven't seen Chicho spitting on anyone, nor have I seen him laughing with a friend who has just spat on someone.

Give the lad a chance. He's only been over here 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Has to be Tomáš Rosický for me. Very likeable person who always tries his best, you'll never see him moaning or winging, he just gets on with his game. I was absolutely delighted when he finally came back from injury and started playing games for us again. He still has an important role to play in the team even if he isn't considered first 11.

As for Fabregas, I don't have a problem with calling him a good role model, but regardless of how deserving he'll always be considered "dirty" for something he did 5 years ago at the age of 18.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

flahavaj wrote: »
    Evra
    Yeah, sure he only incites insurgency and partakes in the singling out and bullying of young players. absolute hero he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Hoki wrote: »
    Surprised none of the Liverpool fans have mentioned Dirk Kuyt , if he isnt one of the top role models in the premier league well then i dunno...
    Often stays behind after games for ages signing autographs and taking photos. Along with his wife he has also set up a charity to help disadvantaged kids. Probably one of the hardest workers on the pitch also & really seems to acknowledge how lucky he is to be a professional footballer.
    +1

Was reading through the thread wondering when the fupp someone would mention Kuyt. Ideal role model for any young player looking to make the most of their talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Pepe Reina. Icon for me shows great passion for the club just like Dirk. You'd think they were scousers. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement