Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The likeable (current role-models) stars at your club

13»

Comments

Kenny Dalglish.

A legend of a man and a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, sure he only incites insurgency and partakes in the singling out and bullying of young players. absolute hero he is!

What he does with his country is of little concern to me tbh. In fact it meant United lost him for less international game recently so its all good IMO.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

L'prof wrote: »
    As for Fabregas, I don't have a problem with calling him a good role model, but regardless of how deserving he'll always be considered "dirty" for something he did 5 years ago at the age of 18.

Doesn't matter if he was 18, when I was 5 I knew it was wrong to spit in someones face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

baz2009 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if he was 18, when I was 5 I knew it was wrong to spit in someones face.

Right so Ted, never done anything stupid when you were younger? I have, I don't think it gives anyone the right to vilify me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Right so Ted, never done anything stupid when you were younger? I have, I don't think it gives anyone the right to vilify me!

Ever spat in someone's face?:eek:

He's hardly being vilified in fairness, some one's just objecting to him being called a role model on an internet forum. No one's called the lynch mob yet.;)

flahavaj wrote: »
    Ever spat in someone's face?:eek:

No, I've done stupid things without thinking though...you haven't?
    flahavaj wrote: »
    He's hardly being vilified in fairness, some one's just objecting to him being called a role model on an internet forum. No one's called the lynch mob yet.;)

I've heard people calling him a scumbag for that isolated incident. It was a scummy thing to do, but as it was an isolated incident and he was young and stupid at the time, I can look past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I haven't seen Chicho spitting on anyone, nor have I seen him laughing with a friend who has just spat on someone.

fair enough. but why is hernandez a role model, what exactly has he done in his massive amount of games for united?
    Hernandez doesn't spit on people.

again, same question as above.

and you chose evra?

a man who attacked a groundsman, allegedly said racist comments towards him, who was involved in bullying with his national team

yep, quite the role model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Has to be Tomáš Rosický for me. Very likeable person who always tries his best, you'll never see him moaning or winging, he just gets on with his game. I was absolutely delighted when he finally came back from injury and started playing games for us again. He still has an important role to play in the team even if he isn't considered first 11.

As for Fabregas, I don't have a problem with calling him a good role model, but regardless of how deserving he'll always be considered "dirty" for something he did 5 years ago at the age of 18.

Agree with you with regard Fabergas, he was only 18 when the Ballack incident happened and I don't think there's much evidence in relation to the Hull one.

But Rosicky role model, you're kidding me right, you do know he was caught with a load of hookers a few years ago :rolleyes:.

event wrote: »
    fair enough. but why is hernandez a role model, what exactly has he done in his massive amount of games for united?

again, same question as above.

and you chose evra?

a man who attacked a groundsman, allegedly said racist comments towards him, who was involved in bullying with his national team

yep, quite the role model

Because he's extemely humble and doesn't dive(so far). Someone wrote around here somewhere that when he first signed for United he was doing some promotion at a Nike shop and loads of people came to see him and he was overawed by it.

I know that, that's why I made reference to it in my post. He has done wrong, but I can't help but love the man for the way he speaks in interviews.

Right so Dougal, I'm younger than what Fabregas was when he spat at Ballack and the thought of spitting in soeones face makes me feel sick, tbh. Especially when he's sitting down ffs.

Fabregas afaik is involved in alot of charity work.

As anyone who has played sports will know, what happens on the field of play doesn't detemine what type of person you are.

Spitting is a disgusting act without question but does it automatically mean he's a bad person?

Craig Bellamy wouldn't be the most liked lad on the feld of play by opposing fans but yet has set up his own charity foundation and has spent some time in Sierre Leone setting up projects for kids. It seriously changed my opinion of him.

Good news doesn't sell newspapers :cool:

• Advertisement

But Rosicky role model, you're kidding me right, you do know he was caught with a load of hookers a few years ago :rolleyes:.

What a hero, 6 all for him!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

What a hero, 6 all for him!!!

I guess everyone has their own views on what constitutes a "role model" :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm actually so fúcking angry with myself for not mentioning Dirk Kuyt in the first place.

a legend of a man; as hard working as anyone, and, as mentioned, is wonderful with the fans, and he 'gets' the club.

'role model', on reflection, is made for a guy like him.

dirk-kuyt-250-041208.jpg

and good God, look at that face :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pep Guardiola, one of the most likable guys in the game these days imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just on the whole Fabregas spitting thing. I know it appears fairly clear from the video that he did spit at Ballack, but both UEFA and a Bayern Munich director have since said that it didn't happen so I don't know what to make of it.
    Bayern director of communications Markus Hoerwick cleared Fabregas over the Ballack incident.

“It definitely never happened,” he said of the claim the Spaniard spat in the German
    midfielder’s face after fouling him.

“If anything of that kind happened I would have been the first to be informed and the first to do something about it.”
    Fabregas has claimed he has never spat at a rival, and a UEFA spokesman said: 'According to the referee's report, Fabregas was booked because of foul play. Spitting is not mentioned.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1163823/UEFA-heat-Cesc-spit-Ballack.html#ixzz14W4ttNT8

To stay on topic. I'd probably go with Vermaelen and Clichy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Mourinho

/Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Yeah i was about to say i was adamant that it cesc was cleared of " spitting " at Ballack.

I was going to say Cesc as well simply for the fact where a lot of players have gone to the press to try and engineer moves away or better deals such as Wayne Rooney or Ronaldo. Cesc kept his council throughout the entire summer and when he did not sell him to Barca he is getting on with his job and still clearly loves playing for the club.

Role Model in my opinion. Money is the last thing on his mind because he is a genuine footballer :)

Because he's extemely humble and doesn't dive(so far). Someone wrote around here somewhere that when he first signed for United he was doing some promotion at a Nike shop and loads of people came to see him and he was overawed by it.

I know that, that's why I made reference to it in my post. He has done wrong, but I can't help but love the man for the way he speaks in interviews.

Right so Dougal, I'm younger than what Fabregas was when he spat at Ballack and the thought of spitting in soeones face makes me feel sick, tbh. Especially when he's sitting down ffs.

Have to cross that out.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Anyone see Hernandez diving today. Thought he did it twice today although the first one looked more like he made the most of a fall that was already happening. Such a shame to have lost his well warrented role model status ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm actually so fúcking angry with myself for not mentioning Dirk Kuyt in the first place.

a legend of a man; as hard working as anyone, and, as mentioned, is wonderful with the fans, and he 'gets' the club.

'role model', on reflection, is made for a guy like him.

dirk-kuyt-250-041208.jpg

and good God, look at that face :pac:

Pretty sure about 50% of his wages go into the charitable foundation him and his wife set up and run. The bloke is sheer class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Yeah i was about to say i was adamant that it cesc was cleared of " spitting " at Ballack.

I was going to say Cesc as well simply for the fact where a lot of players have gone to the press to try and engineer moves away or better deals such as Wayne Rooney or Ronaldo. Cesc kept his council throughout the entire summer and when he did not sell him to Barca he is getting on with his job and still clearly loves playing for the club.

Role Model in my opinion. Money is the last thing on his mind because he is a genuine footballer :)
    This isn't the behaviour of a Role Model tbh, cheering and laughing with a friend after him spitting on someone.

greendom wrote: »
    Anyone see Hernandez diving today. Thought he did it twice today although the first one looked more like he made the most of a fall that was already happening. Such a shame to have lost his well warrented role model status ;):p

How exactlyy did he "make the most" of the first one? He slipped and was quite obviously disappointed in not doing beter with it..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I cannot stress enough how much of a likeable role model Paul Scholes is.

An excellent player, person and never had an agent: He never asked for a pay increase or considered changing clubs. Not a more honest player in the game.

How exactlyy did he "make the most" of the first one? He slipped and was quite obviously disappointed in not doing beter with it..?

As he was falling he appeared to throw himself to the ground. Might have been hard to spot with red lenses on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

greendom wrote: »
    As he was falling he appeared to throw himself to the ground. Might have been hard to spot with red lenses on.

But he never looked up for a penalty. He looked extremely disappointed with himself that he slipped!

The second one, well there is no excuse for that. I hope it isn't something that's gonna creep into his game...

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    But he never looked up for a penalty. He looked extremely disappointed with himself that he slipped!

The second one, well there is no excuse for that. I hope it isn't something that's gonna creep into his game...

I suppose it could be just that he fell heavily; the second one made me more sceptical about the first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    This isn't the behaviour of a Role Model tbh, cheering and laughing with a friend after him spitting on someone.

:mad:

That's fncking disgusting behaviour. Probably locked on two glasses of champagne the w@nker.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Dont think anyone has mentioned Kevin Doyle yet. Showed loyalty to Reading by staying with them for a season, and he must have had offers from other clubs.

Gives 100% for Ireland every time he pulls on the shirt too, seems a genuinely nice lad as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Ryan Guy at St Pats I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Dont think anyone has mentioned Kevin Doyle yet. Showed loyalty to Reading by staying with them for a season, and he must have had offers from other clubs.

Gives 100% for Ireland every time he pulls on the shirt too, seems a genuinely nice lad as well.
    As part of his transfer to Wolves, Kevin insisted on a friendly bewteen Wolves & The Youths. It was a great night and raised a serious few bob for the club. He often attends a game, when time permits, and is a lovely lad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

:mad:

That's fncking disgusting behaviour. Probably locked on two glasses of champagne the w@nker.

Aye, I'd punch someone if they did that. Or laugh with them and pull them away before they started a fight.

Cesc is a legend in my eyes, seems to have time for everyone and was classy over the summer once one didn't pay attention to the BS non-quotes and conjecture in the papers.

Would also echo what was said about Eboue, love seeing him around the pitch but not on the pitch. :pac: The way the other players are around him suggests he's like that off-camera as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

amacachi wrote: »
    Aye, I'd punch someone if they did that. Or laugh with them and pull them away before they started a fight.

Cesc is a legend in my eyes, seems to have time for everyone and was classy over the summer once one didn't pay attention to the BS non-quotes and conjecture in the papers.

Would also echo what was said about Eboue, love seeing him around the pitch but not on the pitch. :pac: The way the other players are around him suggests he's like that off-camera as well.

cesc-fabregas_1368_1368416c.jpg

I wouldn't exactl call him a role model

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oddo has always seemed like a good guy.

He seems very well liked and is head of the players association. Not too sure about his tanning habits though, he looks almost orange these days!

Played a blinder for a few weeks there until he was injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ale Del Piero. He's such a good role model he has lunch with nuns. :p

attachment.php?attachmentid=133810&d=1288969347

Del Piero is a legend. Supposedly well liked in Italy because he's such a nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Xavi Xavi Xavi... No need to explain why is there.

Advertisement