Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet`s Long Log...

• 05-11-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Ok it`s about time I started an online log instead of looking over yer shoulders, it`ll keep me motivated and maybe a little more disciplined!
    A little background:

I ran/walked the mini marathon one year in 1:34, smoked all around the course too, stopped smoking the next yr and did 50mins but went back smoking til Jan `06 when I thought if I ran a full Marathon I`d deffinitly stop smoking. So with about 10 weeks training, 1 long run of 16 miles, I ran Connemara in 4:37 :o I ran Longford that year too in 4:05 and so began a love of long distance running..
    Ive done a few marathons and Ultra`s since including NewYork, Zurich, Connemara Ultra and the 100miles, Belfast and Paris. Improving each time to my recent PB in Dublin of 3:10 my 19th marathon.
    Ive discovered that I don`t like running fast so for 2011 I`m gonna do a few Ultra`s ,Connemara for sure, Portumna, Longford 39.3, Maybe run the Connemara 100 again and I`m gonna step up to a 24hr too
    :D
    My Current Stats:::
    5k 21:15
    8k 33:30
    10k 43:07
    Half 1:34 - did 1:33:xx half split Dublin full marathon
    Full 3:10:40
    Ultra39.3 5:25
    100miles 18:05
    24hrs Can`t wait to fill this one in..:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

After a week of taking it easy after Dublin, I was back running on Sunday, so this weeks schedule looks like this...
    Sunday
    1pm, XCountry race 4k in 18mins, Good stretch of the legs on soft ground and as it was in Ballina, the car journey up and back with 3 of us girls was fantastic fun.
    Monday
    7.30pm Hill Run 10miles took about 1:20 not too sure, it was wet, windy and dark and I was trying to keep up with the lads on a new route so I wouldn`t get left behind.
    Tuesday
    Midday,Totally wimped out of a long run because my legs were sore and the rain belting down on the skylights did nothing for me, so went to the gym and ran 5 miles on the threadmill and then did a few laps of the pool
    Wednesday
    8pm Club run 6miles easy pace, in old wet runners, ugh!
    Thursday
    8pm Last swimming lesson, now I can swim back stroke in case of emergency!
    Friday
    Rest day most weeks, work too busy although I`m writing this today oops
    Saturday
    9am 10+3 miles, 10mile training run and join a local 5k race to pace my brother
    Sunday
    10am 13miles @8:15 pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looking forward to keeping up with this one Val - you planning to take back your spot on the WWR A team ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

about time!

best of luck with it, might see you in conn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

hey Val , great to see you have joined the crew , any chance of poachin ya from Athenry Ac for Board Ac , we got really nice singlets ;) , please dont report me to the AAI !
    they're savage half and full marathon times you got there , any tips ? you goin to the connacht novice xc mid nov ?

Thanks All
    @Seres
    2 things that helped me improve especially in th elast year
    NO.1 I run with runners that are way faster than me and try to keep up - They do slow down a bit sometimes and I run the really long runs on my own usually so ill slow down,
    and No.2 I`ve lost about a stone in weight in the last year :o I really thought I could run all I want and eat everything but sadly its bull, so I eat very little now but it`s calorie dense and nutritional content heeded!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

About time you started one of these, think is was Belfast 2009 that I was speking to you at.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Magnet wrote: »
    Thursday
    8pm Last swimming lesson, now I can swim back stroke in case of emergency!

Cracked up when I read this. One arm back stroke escaping the flood with the baby toaster lap top for updating your log... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hurray. Another log to look forward to. Best of luck Val.

Yesterday`s run was mad, rain belting down on me then hailstones then for the 5k race it was grand. Ran the 5k in 31mins a new PB for my brother!
    Today`s run turned out to be 14miles in 1:57. When I warmed up I threw off my jacket into the bushes, a few miles of thinking it was fantastic running in my tshirt in November, when I turned the next corner and I spent the next 8 miles freezing to death.
    As I was running along the road I came accross a mouse sitting on the road and as I saw him I screamed like yer one on "Tom and Jerry" he ran around in a figure of eight and me dancing a jig screaming. It`s not like seeing rabbits and hares on my early morning runs in the summer, I`m a girly wimp, it`s official!

So 48 miles last week, quite pleased with that, I`m still recovering from Dublin I`d say.
    Hopefully this week is better, the storm seems to have passed the west coast now so I shouldn`t wimp out too much...

• Advertisement

So 48 miles last week, quite pleased with that, I`m still recovering from Dublin I`d say.
    Hopefully this week is better, the storm seems to have passed the west coast now so I shouldn`t wimp out too much...
    that was a good weeks mileage , dont think i every did that , you doin the novice connacht XC in roscommon next weekend ?
    that was serious weather you got caught up in , went out early morn so missed it

This week looks like this...
    Monday
    7.30pm Hilly run 10 mile in 1:30
    Tuesday
    7:15 Flatish 10miles easy pace 1:30
    Wed
    7:15pm 9/11 miles
    Thurs
    10.30am 5/6 miles fartlek
    Friday
    Rest day
    Saturday
    7am 20miles
    Sunday
    30 miles {2+sixmilebridge+2}

Damn gales have arrived in the west :mad:
    There goes my fartlek session, might swim or play badmington later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Even walkin through town today it was like i was walking backwards. Friggin nightmare. Best of luck with the new log.

that would be an even better session , against the elements ;)

Well a short review cos I`m gonna go out for a run and see how I get on..
    My planned 86 miles turned out to be 80 so I`m not gonna be too hard on my self cos it`s only 3 weeks since Dublin and I don`t want to overdo it, I`m hoping there will be room for a few 100mile weeks soon..:confused:

This week`s Plan
    Monday
    Had planned my 10mile hilly but after the hills in Sixmilebridge I only ran 8 slow miles
    Tuesday
    Almost had to run on my own in the driving rain but thankfully had company, so 10miles into the rain
    Wednesday
    6miles on my own then joined the 8pm clubrun for another 6 so 12 miles total
    Thursday
    Hoping to get in 15miles this evening
    Friday
    Rest
    Saturday
    Marathon in Salthill
    Sunday
    20/24 depending on how much time I have sunday morning before the day kicks off...

Most people I know have done Dublin Marathon so I`m finding it hard enough to get running buddies out in this weather and I don`t want to exhaust the ones I do have, because there`s nothing worse than a 15miler in the driving rain on your own...
    Also I weighed myself the other morning and I`m 7st4 so I`ll have to review my food because I`m fairly hungry most of the time lately.

Most people I know have done Dublin Marathon so I`m finding it hard enough to get running buddies out in this weather and I don`t want to exhaust the ones I do have, because there`s nothing worse than a 15miler in the driving rain on your own...
    Also I weighed myself the other morning and I`m 7st4 so I`ll have to review my food because I`m fairly hungry most of the time lately.
    i can better that a 15mi in the driving rain on a 1 mile loop would def be worse , your as light as a feather , you must be cruising along :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

That is absolutly savage milage. What sort of pace you going to run in Offaly next week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jesus woman. :eek:

What mileage were you doing before Dublin? Is the high mileage all for Connemara? Serious running going on there, I'd love to have the time/energy(mostly the energy) to do that. Hoping to start pushing a few 70 mile weeks in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck with the log, and I'll probably be throwing a few questions your way about the Conn100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Aimman wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log, and I'll probably be throwing a few questions your way about the Conn100.

+1
    Interested in your quest for Conn100. I wouldn't mind giving that a go one year.

Savage miles there girl. Mind yourself

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    That is absolutly savage milage. What sort of pace you going to run in Offaly next week?

I`ll run it the same as sixmilebridge, 3.35/45, but really I should run a 4hr marathon because it`s a training run, but can`t help myself when people are just ahead of me, :o
    What mileage were you doing before Dublin? Is the high mileage all for Connemara? Serious running going on there, I'd love to have the time

I don`t think I went over 65/70 for Dublin but this mileage is for a 24hr coming up way too soon, I`m treating all my running as LSR`s but working 6 days I`m just getting out without too much thinking
    Aimman wrote: »
    Abhainn wrote: »
    +1
    Interested in your quest for Conn100. I wouldn't mind giving that a go one year.

Savage miles there girl. Mind yourself

Thanks, ask any Q`s ye think of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ask any Q`s ye think of!

good luck wit the log....r u eatin too much fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Just came across this training log. VERY inspirational . Very . WOW:):eek:

Id love to follow in your footsteps so will be interested to follow you on your quest. Where is the 24 hour on ?
    Have you a target distance in mind?

Do you think that you have progressed particularly well ( natural abillity) or do you think that lots and lots of miles , many of them fast ones chasing your buddies is the key to it?

Best of luck

Got in 91.7miles in last week, managed 16 on the Thursday night, the Salthill marathon in 3.45 and 19.5 of hills on Sunday. So I`m pleased with that mileage. I`m still trying to slow myself down to run a 4hr marathon so I may switch back to my 30 mile runs so keep me in check...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Savage miles for one week, well done on the 3:45 will all those miles clocked up.

This week``s Schedule
    Monday
    10 miles hilly, I was slow but not in any discomfort
    Tuesday
    10 miles less hilly
    Wednesday
    12 miles, First bit of icy roads this winter so I slowed right down, I`m delighted to be still on the roads and not on a threadmill just yet
    Thurs
    Swim tonight,
    Friday
    Rest day
    Saturday
    Kinnitty Marathon
    Sunday
    20 miles

I`m taking a little easy week for my self this week, I`ve got a good few miles under my belt since Dublin marathon so don`t want to get injured or exhaust myself just yet, I recently bought those skins so they`ve been great especially in the cold weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I`m taking a little easy week for my self this week, I`ve got a good few miles under my belt since Dublin marathon so don`t want to get injured or exhaust myself just yet, I recently bought those skins so they`ve been great especially in the cold weather.

Fair play Val - savage mileage. I don't think I'll ever get to stage where I call 78miles an easy week.

Advertisement