Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnet`s Long Log...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

Congratulations, fantastic achievement! I was talking to a few people today who were running in it and heard just how tough a course it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Thanks everyone my splits as you see here are a mixed bag,

22:47 -(3miles)
    7:23
    7:40
    14:53 - (2miles)
    7:38
    8:07
    6:59
    7:02
    7:08
    8:36
    6:28
    7:52
    7:54
    7:28
    7:58
    8:58
    8:05
    7:07
    7:27
    6:59
    7:31
    7:41
    9:38 (+.2)

3:19:28
    I hadn`t tapered for this but still think it`s the toughest I`ve done so far...
    I might give Snowdonia a go one day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

That 6.28 mile must have been a near freefall.

Last week`s total was 75.2 miles after I ran 20miles on the Sunday so happy enough given the snow/ice/marathon interludes!
    This week looks like this...
    Monday
    Rest Day enforced - my legs were killing me after the marathon and 20miles on the Sunday
    Tuesday
    6.5 miles done nice and easy
    Wednesday
    13 miles - took me nearly 2 hours for some strange reason
    Thursday
    Heading out for 12 miles again tonight, get it in before the blizzards
    Friday
    Rest day
    Saturday
    Planned 30 miles - A 10k loop X 5times {weather permitting}, I can`t face 4 1/2 hours on a hurling pitch but if I have to I will....:o
    Sunday
    Any run I get in today will be a bonus cos I`ve a xmas party on Saturday eve up the midlands and another on Sunday afternoon in Galway, might get in a sneaky 6/8 miles somewhere

Weighed myseld the other day and I`m up to 7st 8lbs and I`m not as hungry lately, I could drink more water though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Thats my left leg val:D
    Whats next on the agenda for you?

I got out for my 30 miles Saturday morning, my theory was that if I got up early enough it would be fresh soft snow!!
    The plan was to run the Athenry 10k loop 5 times.
    So I headed out from my house at 6:10am and met another girl for loop 1 + 2 , she went off xmas shopping and I was joined by another fella for loop 3 + 4, 3 more runners joined in for loops 4 + 5 , It wasn`t slippy on the snow just harder work, I think I had to lift my knees up a bit more each time...The fresh snow hadn`t been compacted by traffic so it was grand but so damn cold. My eyelashes were frozen as good as Tom Crean`s would have been :D I wore my camelback with one litre of water in it but had to put the mouthpeice inside my gloves because it froze solid each time I had it swinging free. I had icicles (more like stalactites:rolleyes:) hanging off my face for most of it, I wore 4 tops, 2 bottoms, 2 pairs of gloves and I didn`t warm up til halfway through my lunch at 12 midday!!
    It took me 5 hours so not fast at all, I used to do it in the summer in 4hrs35 so I`m hoping it`s just the snow and not my legs giving up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Awesome going. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Magnet wrote: »
    I got out for my 30 miles Saturday morning, my theory was that if I got up early enough it would be fresh soft snow!!
    The plan was to run the Athenry 10k loop 5 times.
    So I headed out from my house at 6:10am and met another girl for loop 1 + 2 , she went off xmas shopping and I was joined by another fella for loop 3 + 4, 3 more runners joined in for loops 4 + 5 , It wasn`t slippy on the snow just harder work, I think I had to lift my knees up a bit more each time...The fresh snow hadn`t been compacted by traffic so it was grand but so damn cold. My eyelashes were frozen as good as Tom Crean`s would have been :D I wore my camelback with one litre of water in it but had to put the mouthpeice inside my gloves because it froze solid each time I had it swinging free. I had icicles (more like stalactites:rolleyes:) hanging off my face for most of it, I wore 4 tops, 2 bottoms, 2 pairs of gloves and I didn`t warm up til halfway through my lunch at 12 midday!!
    It took me 5 hours so not fast at all, I used to do it in the summer in 4hrs35 so I`m hoping it`s just the snow and not my legs giving up...

ur goin soft! i had to cool down myself afterwards! dont know was it just me not warmin up properly or the conditions but my calves are killin me from my single loop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Just catching up on all the logs now, Well done in Clonakilty, 51 laps of a pitch and still pull off first place, very impressed.

Only 64 miles last week so time to panic train now....:P
    This week looks like this
    Monday
    10 miles this evening
    Tuesday
    10 miles
    Wednesday
    12 miles
    Thursday
    20 miles
    Friday
    Rest day - driving to the in-laws for Xmas
    Saturday
    20/25 miles after breakfast and before the dinner
    Sunday
    20/25 miles after breakfast and before the drinks

Hoping to get over 100miles in this week so fingers crossed ;);)

I got a pair of those get-a-grip thingys for my runners and they`re bloody great, While out monday night for 10miles I felt like I was back running after a long break...
    Running the 30 miles in the crunchy snow was so slow that I felt as if I hadn`t ran at all, even sunday morning I had no stiffness in the legs.
    So yesterday I ran 19 miles during the day in less than 3 hrs, the roads and ditches looked like that part in WillieWonka when they come outta the river covered in white suds!! I couldn`t wear my balaclava so my face was frozen with icicles and my eyes bloodshot after but a fantastic run...:p
    39miles so far this week :D

Where did you get your gripper thingys?
    Superbe mileage going on. Well done .Would love to be able to run every day too. I take it you arent making the dinner then ;).
    As a Magnet follower and fan, did it take you long to build up to doing the mileage you are doing now?

Where did you get your gripper thingys?
    Superbe mileage going on. Well done .Would love to be able to run every day too. I take it you arent making the dinner then ;).
    As a Magnet follower and fan, did it take you long to build up to doing the mileage you are doing now?

Get-a-grip in Safty Direct on the Tuam Rd in Galway, Their number 745150 They`re getting a load in and selling out every few days, My boyfriend is heading in sometime today to see if he can get a set for his mother just to get in and outta of the house in this weather.
    No I`ve never cooked anything in my life even looking at the cooker sets off the smoke alarm - FACT!
    I hate speed sessions so I just fit in as much mileage into my training as I can, I took most of last winter off, put on a stone extra in weight, so did the bare minimum for pacing a friend to 3:45 in Belfast (15 18 20) and kept my long runs above 16/18 til now. The 24 hr is end of January so Ive had to up the miles til Jan 16th and then Taper...(oh god!)

I phoned on Saturday but they were closed and I forgot to ring back .Thanks.Will try again:)

Dont think I will ever get to 3.45. Will keep trying to top up mileage too , and see how I get on. Best of luck for the 24 hour. Where and when is it on ? Have you a target?

• Advertisement

Another one that have Yaktrax is Foot Solutions on 5 Middle st, Near the Augustinian church had them in their add.. no. 091865555 :D

Well so far this week Ive ran Monday 10miles, Tues 19miles, Wednesday 5 miles, Thursday 17miles and today I got 26miles before the goose today for a total of 77miles... I ran into Carlow for the Goal Mile and ran home again thinking it was 20ish but turns out to be 26miles at -9 I might even get my 100mile week if I drink moderately for the rest of the day :cool:
    Happy Christmas!!

Forgot the actual "GoalMile" so thats 27 y/day...
    And 20 today brings my total this week to 98 so an almost 100mile week!?!?:rolleyes:
    No time to run tomrrow as Ive to drive home but hopefull ill rope someone into maybe 10miles in the evening...
    I`m regretting giving in to my shin pain on wednesday night and going home after 5 miles, ah well...

8 hilly miles this eve in the pouring rain, forgot to check my time so dunno how long it took but it was actually quite easy after the weekend`s miles, junk food and alcohol.
    Thank god for the rain, I missed it so badly...sad!
    26.2 tomorrow morning - Yippee

Good marathon run today in 3:40, got to cheer on a friend to his 100th marathon, great stuff!
    I`ve ran 25 marathons so far myself so a bit of catching up to do :confused:
    :pac:.......:pac:.........
    So the rest of the week`s schedule looks like this...
    Monday
    8 hilly miles done
    Tuesday
    26.2 done in 3:40 then ran back to my car +2
    Wednesday
    12miles - 6 miles on me own and 6 with the club
    Thursday
    10 hilly miles
    Friday
    rest
    Saturday
    28miles - running into Galway for that Resolution Run (5k) and run home...
    Sunday
    20/22 depending on what time I get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Magnet,
    Just reading your log after I spotted the word smoking!Am of them 3 days and wondering will it help with running?
    On another point, that is some impressive mileage you are doing! :D

maria74 wrote: »
    Magnet,
    Just reading your log after I spotted the word smoking!Am of them 3 days and wondering will it help with running?
    On another point, that is some impressive mileage you are doing! :D

I thought I`d stay off them if I was actually putting my lungs to good use!! I must say it worked, and the long miles I find it relaxing in a strange way ;)

8+26.2+2+10+10+28.5+17 = 101.7 miles last week :D:D
    Might not get in that this week with work being back to normal but I`ll damn well try.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm just catching up on the logs after my time out but :eek::eek: you WON a marathon! Brilliant stuff Magnet! Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

8+26.2+2+10+10+28.5+17 = 101.7 miles last week :D:D
    Might not get in that this week with work being back to normal but I`ll damn well try.....:rolleyes:

1000 mile challenge by Paddy's day?

Hopefully I`ll be going great guns for another month then I might retire...Just trying to scare Krusty and Bazman into running more ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hopefully I`ll be going great guns for another month then I might retire...Just trying to scare Krusty and Bazman into running more ;)
    I don't know Bazman other than by reputation, but if he's anything like Krusty he won't scare easily!:D I try not to read Krusty's log, as I get scared...

Great running, especially the 27 on Christmas Day. How do you feel after the 101 mile week, beaten up, fine, or somewhere in between?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Consider me scared off! Anyway, some more of the big dogs (Condo and Mick Rice) have turned up on the list, so I'm glad I got to enjoy my 20 minutes of fame. :)

Did I read correctly that you have a 24hr race coming up in the next month or two? What/when's the race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi Val, some great running there. Well done. Will you venture up to Wicklow, perhaps with some Athenry colleagues, for the Wicklow way trail or ultra?

Consider me scared off! Anyway, some more of the big dogs (Condo and Mick Rice) have turned up on the list, so I'm glad I got to enjoy my 20 minutes of fame. :)

Did I read correctly that you have a 24hr race coming up in the next month or two? What/when's the race?

I was hoping to get as far as Jan 16th (my last long run) in case I jinx myself - too late - Ive a touch of shinsplints :mad:
    Gimme a few days and I`ll see how I`m fixed....

Hi Val, some great running there. Well done. Will you venture up to Wicklow, perhaps with some Athenry colleagues, for the Wicklow way trail or ultra?

I`ve that on my to-do list alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

I was hoping to get as far as Jan 16th (my last long run) in case I jinx myself - too late - Ive a touch of shinsplints :mad:
    Gimme a few days and I`ll see how I`m fixed....

I`ve that on my to-do list alright!
    god thats bad luck , hope they clear up soon :)

Me too - I`m giving it 3 days and if its still bothering me I`m cutting it off :mad:no questions
    btw any miracle cures PM me ;)

Back from the Doc`s now, a very funny visit watching his reaction to my 24hr race... Rest and anti-inflammatory drugs is all he can do, hopefully its nothing more serious.
    So back to my dreams - Here is what I`d like to do when I grow up in 3 weeks time.....
    http://endurance.fi/24/eng.html

I`ll indulge in more daydreaming about this over the next few days !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks like a great event. Hopefully the shins recover quickly. If it were me (just what I'd do, not medical advice!) I'd ice them during the day and wear compression socks at night.

Looks like a great event. Hopefully the shins recover quickly. If it were me (just what I'd do, not medical advice!) I'd ice them during the day and wear compression socks at night.

Thanks I`m doing that alright, its a pity cos its taken some of the excitment outta the build-up.
    Ive ice packs for work/home/bed ;)

My OH is under the weather so I had to get my own dinner in the Indian (:P) and while I was waiting for it I had an oul Cobra beer and what happened...I got totally rat arsed on 1 beer, my head was spinning, the fella working there is going on holidays this weekend and as I was leaving I couldn`t even say "Happy Holidays" without slurring badly- weird
    My weight is still 7st 4 lbs so maybe ill put on a bit more during this enforced break!! God knows the extra junk over the xmas didn`t do it for me:o

I spent 3 days treating my shinsplints with anti-inflammatories, sprays, gels, icepacks and even standing on one leg at work!!
    So I met one of the lads at 7am this morning and off we go to run the 10k loop, and surprise surprise I could run pain free so met more runners at 8am and 9am and did the loop 3 times in the end for a total of 18 blissful miles :p:p
    I`m gonna continue all treatment for a week (minus the resting) and see how things go but I think now I can start to get excited about the 24hr race coming up....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

glad to hear things are looking up Val :)

Nice 20 miler today at 8am - ran 10 on my own then joined 2 girls for the next 10miles.
    I couldn`t go any earlier then 8am cos Ive mislaid my hand held torch, I had to run Saturday morning with a Templemore issued torch about a foot long - not good!
    No shin pain either :p
    Jerk chicken for dinner nom nom :pac:...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Nice 20 miler today at 8am - ran 10 on my own then joined 2 girls for the next 10miles.
    I couldn`t go any earlier then 8am cos Ive mislaid my hand held torch, I had to run Saturday morning with a Templemore issued torch about a foot long - not good!
    No shin pain either :p
    Jerk chicken for dinner nom nom :pac:...

Ah the famous torch..remember it well :D

10 miles last night on hills, 85mins
    Ive suddenly got so much energy lately that I managed to run 18miles on saturday before work, 20miles on sunday and then cleaned the house from top to bottom and Monday morning worked my butt off at work so heading out in the rain for a hilly 10miler I was shocked at how fast and comfortable I was, maybe the 3days rest last week helped or maybe it was the company, 6 runners and 1 dog!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Sometimes you scare me. You really do.

So this is my last hard week`s schedule...
    Monday
    10miles hilly - done
    Tuesday
    10 wet miles very slow - done
    Wednesday
    12miles in a light consistent drizzle - done
    Thursday
    8/10 miles depending on who I rope into my evening run!
    Friday
    rest
    Saturday
    26.2 Marathon - hope to run with someone around 3:55/4hr pace
    Sunday
    40miles - Running from Athenry to Tuam for the 8k race and running home again...Should be fun :cool:

Anyone got any tips on how I`ll stay awake for 24hrs? :rolleyes:
    I don`t drink coffee but would tea do the same job, maybe Coke?
    Would sugar do the same as caffeine?

Try to get some good sleep nights before your event. Even little extra naps to top up when you can . The excitement on the day and the running will keep you awake. Coke, if you are used to it would be fine for caffeine. Dont rely on gels and liquids, you do need some proper food inside you for them to stick to , if you dont want to feel sick or crampy.

Do you plan to take walk breaks? IT might be useful to eat after the run portion and eat while walking as it is easier to chew and digest.

I'm so excited for you . I wish I had trained for my 24 .With all the preparation and miles you have done in training-you will find this easy and the sense of achievement for the gazillion miles you will do will be phenomenal. Cant wait to see how ye get on . GO GIRL

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    Yes there will deffinitely be walking breaks, lots and lots of them!
    Eating on the run seems to be alright...
    This is what I ate/drank during the 100miles:
    ........:pac:...........:pac:.........
    9 litres fluid - (500ml per hr) Water / High5 4+1 isotonic mix
    20/25 high 5 gels
    4 jam sandwiches - without crusts!
    5 chocolate bars - twirls were good, they melted without much effort of chewing
    2 fig rolls
    2 ginger snaps
    Small bit of Coke
    5 nuerofen -2 at 30miles and 3 around 65/70ish
    3 panadol:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

That's some good advice from Hot to Trot. I've done a couple of 24+ hour events in the past (nothing too scary like your one) and once you are in the thick of it staying awake is not a problem. Taking on real food makes a big difference. What I also took for granted is that you need to have the discipline to eat when you should. There were times for me when I didn't want to eat but I knew I should. That's where a good crew come into their own.

Best of luck with it. Looks like you are well prepared.

Thanks for that!
    @D - I did start to refuse food with about 18 miles to go in the 100miles, but didn`t get hungry til about 3 miles to go and at that stage I was near the end...
    I`m such a cranky "B" (and probably a "C") when I`m running so this time out I deffinitely made my decision to just shut up and take what I`m given!!
    @H2H I saw your youtube and good on ya - I don`t do smiling!! :p
    :confused:
    Ran the connemara marathon route today in 4:14 ,despite the wind and rain as good excuses I had no strength in my legs and when I got home I had a snooze for an hour which I haven`t done after a long run in a while....:(
    40 miles should be fun tommorrow - not!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Best of luck with your 24.amazing running...do you get tired !!!....
    I tire Reading the miles you guys post !!!!.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think your crazy but in a good way. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement