Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

corkpublictransport.com suggestions!

Options
  • 05-11-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Right I'm opening up this thread for reasonable suggestions and recommendations for the website for things like places of interest and other maps.

I'm thinking of adding industrial estates and the like.

So if you have an idea of something, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Depending on how much work you want to put into the site, you could have a useful places section i.e hospitals, tax offices, garda stations etc. You already have the post office delivery centres under places of interest. Maybe you could use the places of interest section for more tourist orientated destinations like Blarney Castle, Cork City Gaol & such. Maybe also a local amenities section such as libraries, sports grounds & so on.

On your drop down menus for bus routes it might be a good idea to have the starting point & destination next to each bus number so it's a quick reference guide for each bus number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd quite like to see an option to view all the routes of the City buses, I needed to get to the post delivery office, and after checking a few seperate buses on your site It got slightly annoying navigating to the menu then to the next bus and reapeating that.

All it would need is a colour coded line for each route and then a key to say which is which and on cliciking the key it would bring you to the route page, just a suggestion though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It would also be a nice idea to include something about how Cork's public transport could be improved.

Without very much investment and with some imaginative planning it could be dramatically better than it is today.

I've lived in equivalent sized cities in Europe which have wonderful bus networks. So, there is absolutely no excuse for Cork not to have the same.

CIE needs to be taken out of the equation if it can't manage to get the system working properly.

I would rather see a Cork transport authority managing the whole thing properly than having it as some kind of half-baked off shoot of Bus Eireann run out of Bus Aras in Dublin by people who basically know nothing about their market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gstore.ie (Tony)

Hi op,

Some quick feedback from me I think the name of the site could be better and would allow for expansion to other counties if you were to change it to publictransport.ie then you could start with cork and then branch it out. the first link could be publictransport.ie/cork it's better to do this at the start rather than trying to change it later.

Best of luck with it.

Rgds
    Tony

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Love your site. One thing, could you not put the normal Google markers where you have bus stops? The little picture you have now look a little crazy. :)
    Also, eventually would it be possible to have a thing wherby someone can put in "Douglas' and 'UCC' and it'll show how to get there, maybe you have to switch buses etc.

Also estimated length of journey would be great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks for a useful website. The bus route maps are great. (Why aren't route maps displayed on the bus stops?)

BTW I agree that the bus-stop graphics seem too large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

will it stay as bus only?
    trains are nice too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Folks,

First off, I'm not associated with the site but I'd like to see it become bigger and better, I meet with a lot of foreign students during the week and I cringe every time I have to try and explain to someone how to get around Cork - there is no map of the bus routes they can use. Hell, even most Cork people can only tell you one or two bus routes and even then not every stop on those.

@corkpublictransport.com
    Why don't you get us to post up a list of places we think would be useful and we'd be willing to create maps for, I know you mightn't get many people to help but every one would help.
    After we name places here you could create a master list every few weeks and ask us for maps for specific places that fit into categories that enhance/fit in with your site.

You might need to talk to the mods about bumping old threads (which the list idea would do) as i know some forum mods don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

And I'd better put a few names myself seeing as I suggested it - Yes I'm going to cherry pick a few easy ones that I'm willing to draw maps for ;)

( I'm in college so I'm going to write the places I've been asked for directions in the last year)

Cork University Hospital, (CUH)
    Wilton Shopping centre
    UCC, College road & Western Road entrances as they are on bus routes
    CIT, Bishopstown
    Mahon Point**

**I know this is on the #10 bus route, does anyone know if its on a different route as well?

Advertisement