Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto-logout

Options
  • 05-11-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Really not sure if this is the right place to post this, i guess it depends on the answer.

For years now I've been slightly irritated but never bothered posting about this. Actually i probably have but have forgotten about it. If not set to "keep me logged in automamagically", the timeout of sessions is ridiculously short.

When im in work, i dont click the remember me button for obvious reasons but when i log in to post something and then go back to doing a bit of work, when i tab back to boards, im logged out. Irritating. Whats even more annoying, if im mid post, get interrupted by phone call or even worse a coleague demanding to see some work, when i tab back in , i have to relogin to actually submit the post.

I guess what im asking is, whats the default timeout on login sessions and why is it so low?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Stop using boards and finish your work? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Click remember me then remember to log out when you actually want to log out...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Click remember me then remember to log out when you actually want to log out...?

Its precisely for that reason that i DON'T log in. Plus a pretty portable network login solution that makes fraping a regular occurance :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never really tried it, but would the Private browsing option in Firefox/Chrome be of any use to you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If he's logging on from work, then it's almost a certainty that he's browsing with Internet Explorer and can't download a decent browser onto the work computer.

• Advertisement

If he's logging on from work, then it's almost a certainty that he's browsing with Internet Explorer and can't download a decent browser onto the work computer.

actually im using private browsing on firefox:P

Theres another reason i dont use the 'remember me' function:P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Dustaz wrote: »
    Its precisely for that reason that i DON'T log in.
    Old age memory loss getting to ya Dustaz?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure, but I suspect its related to the number of active users. Certainly it seems to log me out much quicker during the day than in the middle of the night.

Cheers victor, a useful reply!

Any actual info on the auto-logout time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I suspect its related to the number of active users. Certainly it seems to log me out much quicker during the day than in the middle of the night.

It's absolutely nothing to do with the number of active users. It's 15 minutes of inactivity, any time of the day or night.

It will not be changed as increasing it by any meaningful amount has performance implications.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it seems to be way less than 15 mins.

I just signed in, posted (about 5 mins from sign-in to post), after going back to the forum, i was logged out.

Does pressing Back affect your login status?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Sometimes it seems to be way less than 15 mins.

I just signed in, posted (about 5 mins from sign-in to post), after going back to the forum, i was logged out.

Hmm, that's odd.

Would there be anything in your setup that would suppress or remove cookies?
    Does pressing Back affect your login status?

It shouldn't.

Advertisement