Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement Mortgage!?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place, I'm in the middle of trying to buy a house and everything has been agreed by both sides.
    This issue is that there is a Judgement mortgage against the current owner. Can someone shed light on what this means and any problems that may arise from this or implications it could have for me etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It will only effect the seller. See here for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ziycon wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place, I'm in the middle of trying to buy a house and everything has been agreed by both sides.
    This issue is that there is a Judgement mortgage against the current owner. Can someone shed light on what this means and any problems that may arise from this or implications it could have for me etc.

Thanks in advance.

The seller cant sell the property until he/she discharges the debt associated with the judgment mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

It does not affect you, only the seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

It does not affect you, only the seller.

Incorrect, a registered judgement mortgage charges the land. The judgement mortgagor can seek to have the land sold regardless of who owns it. Of course the solicitor you use for the purchase will insist that the judgement mortgage be discharged as part of the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

gabhain7 wrote: »
    Incorrect, a registered judgement mortgage charges the land. The judgement mortgagor can seek to have the land sold regardless of who owns it. Of course the solicitor you use for the purchase will insist that the judgement mortgage be discharged as part of the sale.

Yeah thats basically the sellers problem in the real world.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Ya wha?

It does not affect the buyer; the charges against the property/land will be handled at the seller's end by his solicitor and the persons who have registered the judgement.

The buyer's solicitor will get an undertaking from the seller's solicitor that this will be done.

It does not affect the buyer, simple.

Ya wha?

It does not affect the buyer; the charges against the property/land will be handled at the seller's end by his solicitor and the persons who have registered the judgement.

The buyer's solicitor will get an undertaking from the seller's solicitor that this will be done.

It does not affect the buyer, simple.

If the judgement mortgage is left undischarge it will effect the buyer as it charges the land.

The norm is to have the seller discharge the mortgage immediately before sale (the same as with other mortgages).

Occasionally the buyer could decide to discharge it himself and seek an appropriate reduction in purchase price.

In many occasions the judgement mortgage is registered more then 12 years ago and is now statute barred, in which case the buyer may seek a statutory declaration from the purchaser that they have not been served with well charging proceedings and that they undertake to discharge the mortgage if any well charging proceedings are served on the new purchaser.

To say it will never effect a purchaser is incorrect.

If the judgement mortgage is left undischarge it will effect the buyer as it charges the land.

It would take an amazingly incompetent buyer's solicitor to let this happen.
    The norm is to have the seller discharge the mortgage immediately before sale (the same as with other mortgages).

Yes, the undertaking that I mentioned.
    Occasionally the buyer could decide to discharge it himself and seek an appropriate reduction in purchase price.

Almost never done.
    In many occasions the judgement mortgage is registered more then 12 years ago and is now statute barred, in which case the buyer may seek a statutory declaration from the purchaser that they have not been served with well charging proceedings and that they undertake to discharge the mortgage if any well charging proceedings are served on the new purchaser.

I assume you meant a declaration from the seller? Again, this would be handled by the buyer's solicitor.
    To say it will never effect a purchaser is incorrect.

True, but you are covering for what would amount to incompetence in the legal profession. I have no indication that mistakes like the above are commonly made, so why make a simple piece of advice overly complicated?

True, but you are covering for what would amount to incompetence in the legal profession. I have no indication that mistakes like the above are commonly made, so why make a simple piece of advice overly complicated?

Yes it would have to be a screw up by the purchaser's solicitor for the judgement mortgage to have any impact on the purchaser.

I would qualify any advice that it would *never* have an impact as I have come across the incompetence you've referred to above.

So to the OP, if you're solicitor is doing his job right it won't have any impact. If he is incredibly incompetent it will. Such incompetence is thankfully rare but unfortunately not rare enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Thanks for all your help and advice. Is there a way to view the judgement online? I had a brief look at www.courts.ie but didn't see anywhere to search for these type of judgements!?

Advertisement