Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

school report

• 05-11-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

came across my ds's school report from his rescource teacher this morning and still feel the same as when I recieved it in June last !
    "Very poor academic year but good at art" was the gist of same report.
    Ds had 5 hours on a one to one with this teacher.
    He has ADHD with a very high iq.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Are you sure it is ADHD and not exceptional abilty? Have a look at giftedkids.ie , some exceptionally able children might give the appearance of having ADHD. Just a thought...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pardon my ignorance, but who or what is a "ds"?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ds= dear son
    dd =dear daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 max power 18

ds is just bright. did attend CTYI for a few terms but wasnt "his thing!"
    Generally very unmotivated in school.
    I think my issue would be simply what has he been doing for the last year.
    Could understand his class teacher writing said report but the resource teacher. Maybe Im being abit harsh but feel the report is more a reflection on her than my ds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jcello

ds is just bright. did attend CTYI for a few terms but wasnt "his thing!"
    Generally very unmotivated in school.
    I think my issue would be simply what has he been doing for the last year.
    Could understand his class teacher writing said report but the resource teacher. Maybe Im being abit harsh but feel the report is more a reflection on her than my ds!

surely all school reports are a reflection on the teacher who wrote them. My daughter started secondary school this term. In primary school Math was a subject she really struggled with and was always getting negative reports for. This term Math has not only become her favorite subject but she got a "B" in her test just before half term. Whereas Art has always been her forte, but unfortunately her creative side is beyond the understanding of her new art teacher. We received a report in her homework journal that my daughter does not try hard enough at Art. We know for a fact she does as we have seen have seen her work. My daughter now wants to drop Art at school. Both of these turnarounds are a reflection of the teachers and as such so will the school reports be.

• Advertisement

Can understand a teachers style does not suit everyone in a class but on on a one to one surely a bright child can learn something.
    Would have thought if the teacher was not reaching the child she herself would have looked at other recources to help.
    The very least would be to inform the parents of her ability or lack of to teach the child.
    At the end of the day she that is what she is being paid to do.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Regardless of the varying levels in the classroom, it is the teachers job to take the work s/he has to teach for the day and modify it for each of the levels in her class. S/He can teach the same subject and material but change certain aspects of the lesson for different abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

jcello wrote: »
    surely all school reports are a reflection on the teacher who wrote them. My daughter started secondary school this term. In primary school Math was a subject she really struggled with and was always getting negative reports for. This term Math has not only become her favorite subject but she got a "B" in her test just before half term. Whereas Art has always been her forte, but unfortunately her creative side is beyond the understanding of her new art teacher. We received a report in her homework journal that my daughter does not try hard enough at Art. We know for a fact she does as we have seen have seen her work. My daughter now wants to drop Art at school. Both of these turnarounds are a reflection of the teachers and as such so will the school reports be.

A rather sweeping statement, Jcello, I would have thought. Reports vary, certainly, as do teachers, as do pupils. Having said that, your daughter has been in secondary school for only half of one term. That is not very long for a teacher on which to be forming an opinion or for a parent on which to base a decision.

The move to secondary school can bring about a whole series of emotions and reactions in our children. They can be put off very easily and likewise, can benefit hugely from the novelty factor. They have been with one teacher all day in primary whereas in secondary, they have different teachers throughout the day and throughout the week.

The fact is that never again will any teacher know your child as well as her primary school teacher. By mid-term, many secondary teachers simply don't know their pupils. They may base all their decisions on one test, based on 6 weeks work.

An encouraging report in secondary at mid-term, could motivate a child. Likewise, a negative report could discourage, or make the child more determined to work harder. All I'm saying is that the primary school report is probably more reliable than a report after 6 weeks in secondary, based on one test, from a teacher who cannot yet say s/he knows your daughter. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

jcello wrote: »
    I suppose Jcello, the message that seems to be coming across from your post is that the child seems to have no bearing on the report and that whatever is written on the report is more to do with the teachers than it is to do with your daughter.

Are all the teachers in her primary school who were concerned about your daughter's performance in Maths mistaken? Your daughter may be creative but that doesn't mean she would like the Art curriculum at second level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

You need to meet with this teacher on a regular basis to find out how your child is getting on an end of year report is not enough. Surely if your child is having difficulties you are getting extra work from said teacher. Do you not make it your business to speak with teacher regularly? From experience I believe that a child with learning problems needs a lot of help from parents if they are ever to have a chance of keeping up with their class.

• Advertisement

Where as I did not talk very often to particular teachter I regularly spoke with class teacher.
    Looking back now I was more concerned about his behaviour than his actual academic work and as long as he got his 5 hours break from the busy class room there didn't appear to be any great issues!
    Previous reports on the academic side would have always been very positive so that was why I was so shocked!

The resource teacher and class teacher should have a plan in place for what extra help your child needs you need to be aware of this plan and reinforcing it at home. Has your son been assessed by a educational psycologist if not and you are concerned that he is having difficulties speak with the teachers about having one done.
    Try and build a good relationship with your childs teachers, ask what you can do to and work with them. Best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

In fairness, if your kid didnt do well academically, for whatever reason, what do you expect the teacher to say? She cant say he did well if he didnt. And being good at art is a positive thing.

As to the ADHD vs Gifted thing - well, if your kid is gifted, I am sure it would have been picked up on the assessment which diagnosed ADHD. As it wasnt, I am sure that while your child may well be very bright, but not in that category.
    And that may well be a blessing.
    As to what he's done all year - why not make arrangements to have regular feedback from the teacher - all it takes is a note in the homework diary.

As parents we have to take ownership of what our kids do in school. You cant drop it all on the teachers lap. Our kids spend 6 hours a day (ish) in school, and 18 hours outside. Do the maths.

As to the ADHD vs Gifted thing - well, if your kid is gifted, I am sure it would have been picked up on the assessment which diagnosed ADHD. As it wasnt, I am sure that while your child may well be very bright, but not in that category.
    I don't agree, some psychologists are not well versed in picking up on exceptional ability and it can be overlooked/misread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

I don't agree, some psychologists are not well versed in picking up on exceptional ability and it can be overlooked/misread.

True. But too often it is easier to say he is bored than he is bold. A child isnt a messer anymore - he has low frustration levels. He isnt a toe rag in the yard - he has issues with sensory boundaries.:mad:
    I am not saying this is the case with this kiddie, but parents have to step up to the plate too.
    But I do see your point.:)

Do teachers not have to take ownership of their ability to teach?
    would have thought no child is unteachable!
    As already stated spoke with his class teacher at least once a week, would have thought she would have informed me if there was any problems! Maybe the resource teacher should have spoken to her as well!
    Incidently my son was assessed by a neps psychologist who recommended he see an ot to deal with his intellectual disability .6 months later was assessed privately and the report reported on his iq of 140!

Hi the teacher and resourse teacher should be working together as to decide and implement what form of help your child needs. Did the neps psycologist not give reccommendations for the teachers to follow?
    From what I can gather children with learning difficulties often have a high or normal IQ this is true in dyslexia as far as I am aware. Have you had any luck with getting him to see an ot. Ask to meet with both his teachers together and find out what they see your childs difficulties as been and what is their plan of action. I am not clear on what your sons difficulties are, is he struggling with all or some subjects or is he having problems behaving?

Am interested that an OT was suggested to " deal with his intellectual disability. " Is there an Individual Education Plan in place for him?There are not legally needed yet as EPSEN has not been enacted but many schools do them anyhow.

Advertisement