Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Hitting with Baton's while sitting down on the Ground Is it Legal ?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REt8kCjCRo&feature=topvideos

My Question is it legal for a Garda To Beat people with baton's that are sitting on the ground ?

My view when i seen this video is how can a police force in Ireland get away with it.

They are sitting on the ground doing nothing and they are getting beaten that I don't think is right at all.

Now I seen another video there and they are pushing the garda horse now that is seen as assault in my books but in the video who are the guys in the yellow t shirts ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XuBjS6bLxM&feature=related
    I don't think this is right.

I know that there are two sides to ever story.

But they could at least use non lethal weapons and plenty of police forces are using them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're attempting to duplicate the discussion happening already here and by the way, anything that doesn't involve lead bullets is considered 'non-lethal'.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079334

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I am not trying to duplicate the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

A baton is a non-lethal weapon, and getting people up off the ground is as much for their own safety a anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Excuse me but you are replicating the exact discussion kicked off in the earlier thread, you even quoted the same Youtube link FFS. In case you didn't read the first few posts, the OP kicked off by asking....

Was this legal or illegal?

and he included the same Youtube link that you posted. When asked to what action he was referring he replied....

The girl Who was sitting down, protesting peacefully being repeatedly hit with a batten by the guards.

You kicked off your new thread by asking.....

My Question is it legal for a Garda To Beat people with baton's that are sitting on the ground ?

And you included the same link that was posted in the earlier thread, what makes you think your thread or topic is different when you're asking the same question in relation to the same video??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Public Order Act

Section 14.—(1) Where—

( a ) 12 or more persons who are present together at any place (whether that place is a public place or a private place or both) use or threaten to use unlawful violence for a common purpose, and

( b ) the conduct of those persons, taken together, is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at that place to fear for his or another person's safety,

then, each of the persons using unlawful violence for the common purpose shall be guilty of the offence of riot.

(2) For the purposes of this section—

( a ) it shall be immaterial whether or not the 12 or more persons use or threaten to use unlawful violence simultaneously at any place;

( b ) the common purpose may be inferred from conduct;

( c ) no person of reasonable firmness need actually be, or be likely to be, present at that place.

And in the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act

Section 18.—(1) The use of force by a person for any of the following purposes, if only such as is reasonable in the circumstances as he or she believes them to be, does not constitute an offence—

(a) to protect himself or herself or a member of the family of that person or another from injury, assault or detention caused by a criminal act; or

(b) to protect himself or herself or (with the authority of that other) another from trespass to the person; or

(c) to protect his or her property from appropriation, destruction or damage caused by a criminal act or from trespass or infringement; or

(d) to protect property belonging to another from appropriation, destruction or damage caused by a criminal act or (with the authority of that other) from trespass or infringement; or

(e) to prevent crime or a breach of the peace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

coylemj wrote: »
    Excuse me but you are replicating the exact discussion kicked off in the earlier thread, you even quoted the same Youtube link FFS. In case you didn't read the first few posts, the OP kicked off by asking....

Was this legal or illegal?

and he included the same Youtube link that you posted. When asked to what action he was referring he replied....

The girl Who was sitting down, protesting peacefully being repeatedly hit with a batten by the guards.

You kicked off your new thread by asking.....

And you included the same link that was posted in the earlier thread, what makes you think your thread or topic is different when you're asking the same question in relation to the same video??

you tell 'em

was actually thinking the same myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

They did themselves no favours attacking a sit down protest..but surely they have a legal way around these things..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

The real question here is, is it illegal to have two similar threads?:rolleyes:

OP it looks terrible alright that police are allowed to do that. I can never understand why they dont use watercannons or something. A baton could kill you, I'd rather have a wet clothes than a concussion:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

Discuss this on the other tread, i can't be arsed to follow both of em. Every one move to the other one.

1.2.3..GO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

newmug wrote: »
    The real question here is, is it illegal to have two similar threads?:rolleyes:

OP it looks terrible alright that police are allowed to do that. I can never understand why they dont use watercannons or something. A baton could kill you, I'd rather have a wet clothes than a concussion:mad:

Batons ? Water Cannon ? I'd be more scared of a Garda horse crapping all over me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But they could at least use non lethal weapons and plenty of police forces are using them.
    The more accurate term is "less-lethal weapon". Anything that can hurt you can probably kill you. Except perhaps Barney music, that makes you kill other people.
    newmug wrote: »
    I can never understand why they dont use watercannons or something. A baton could kill you, I'd rather have a wet clothes than a concussion:mad:
    Water canons aren't perfect safe either - someone could be knocked over and there is the risk of hypothermia.

The Garda don't own any water canons, although they have hired them occassionally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

Victor wrote: »

The Garda don't own any water canons, although they have hired them occassionally.

They should hire Neil Prendeville instead

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

prinz wrote: »
    A baton is a non-lethal weapon, and getting people up off the ground is as much for their own safety a anything else.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KidKeith89 wrote: »
    How so?
    Its dangerous to be on the ground in a crowd or other crush type situation. It would be easy to be trampled if people paniced.

A lot of people who die in fires (other than at home) die from being trampled, not burned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement