Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

¿¿¿¿Am I entitled to any dole, Job seekers under the following circumstances????

• 05-11-2010 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am Irish but currently living in Spain and have been living here for the last 7 years. I am 20 years old which means I was 13 when I left Ireland so I have obviously never worked in Ireland.

I want to move back to Ireland(some people may say i´m crazy, but I know i´m not!) but I haven´t got a job to walk into when I get back to Ireland around Christmas time. I need to know would I be entitled to claim any sort of dole, Job Seekers allowance etc. until I actually find a job.

So would I be entitled to anything at all from the Irish government under my circumstances.

I have payed social security in Spain for about 1 year plus all my taxes etc.

I need as much detailed correct information as possible, please and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Probably you are not entitled to anything under habitual residence rules. You could qualify for Jobseekers Benefit but it is dependent on the stamps you paid in 2008 and if you have been working for the last year. For Jobseekers Allowance they will argue that you are habitually resident in Spain and refuse the claim. If you decide to come home anyway then you should cut off all ties with Spain (close bank accounts, sell any property, cars etc)

Habitual Residence is decided on many factors but from my personal experience they will refuse you. Being an Irish-born, Irish citizen does not count for much as SW cannot positively discriminate because you are Irish.

You are never wrong to move home but I would make sure I had sufficient funds to support yourself until you find employment or wait to return until you find a job. However be careful because I did the latter but because the company I worked for went under after a year I am entitled to nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PaulMurphy1

I kind of understand what you are saying but I have not payed any stamps, tax, nothing at all in Ireland because I was 13 when I left so therefor I never worked in Ireland.

I cant come back to Ireland and claim off the Spanish Government because they will catch me and i´m not taking any risks, but on the other hand, if I come back to Ireland they will tell me i´m resident of Spain because I have lived here in Spain for the last 7 years.. so its a catch 22 no?

I just don´t understand it at all.

What happens to somebody who has lived in Ireland all their life and for example, they come out of college looking for a job but cant find one and also never had a job before in their life, are they not entitled to the dole or anything either because they havent paid stamps or tax?! that is what I dont understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Do you still have a job in Spain?

If so, then you're out of your mind moving back to this rain-soaked dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Somebody who came out of college and has lived in Ireland all their life would be entitled to Jobseekers Allowance, you are not entitled to this as you are habitually resident in Spain. You can move your stamps from Spain to Ireland but only those paid in 2008 count. If you didn't pay any stamps in Spain in 2008 then you will probably be entitled to nothing.

You can get paid your dole in Ireland from Spain for three months but at the Spanish rate and only if it is their equivalent of JB not JA.

There are no jobs here.The situation is predicted to get much worse, although unemployment has stabilised this is as a result of people jumping ship not finding work. Even bar work/ cleaning jobs/shop assistant jobs are difficult to find. Recently a cinema had over 1000 applicants for a cashier.

Yeah strangely enough I actually have a fairly decent job here in Spain selling advertising space(Media) its all telesales so my plan was to work from home once I get back to Dublin until further arrangements with maybe a new career/job...

a few people say im mad but i hate it here after 7 years! and the missus lives in Ireland aswell!

Im gonna give it a shot and see how I get on but wanted to know would i be entitled to financial help from the Irish government if things started to go pear-shaped suddenly!

I cant even attend on the spot interviews in Dublin while im here so I have to be in Dublin if i want half a chance of success!

• Advertisement

there is jobs, just not in what people want to do.. im not fussy at all. and luckily for me, most jobs that are there right now are sales jobs, some commission only some have a basic salary. And luckily again for me, ive had a lot of sales jobs on commission only and always been more than OK.

By the time i move my stamps from Spain to Ireland ill probably be around 60 years old with the way the E.U governments are operating these days! agree?

i´ll give it a go and i shall sink or swim!

Thanks for you help, appreciate it a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Just be aware, in order for your Spanish contributions to count towards anything in Ireland, you need to have worked and paid at least one contribution in Ireland since your return. So even if you have enough contributions in Spain to qualify, you still need at least 1 weeks work here.
    Have a look on www.welfare.ie for more information on Habitual Residence Condition.

Advertisement