Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Irish Examiner really a national newspaper?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

The Examiners OTT coverage of the Neil Prendeville story in the last few days has shown up what a parochial local paper they still are. What would have justified a quarter page article in any other national paper was deemed important enough to be front page news for three consecutive days (and counting) this week in the Examiner with three full pages on yesterdays edition.

There seems to be little doubt that they have an agenda at work here

Leaving that aside I believe that they may as well go back to using the Cork Examiner name these days. Their circulation outside Munster is dismal anyway so why continue pretending to be a national paper. Looking at the advertising and death notices (both a good indicator of the readership) 95% are Cork based.

Why continue the pretence? they are not and will never be a national newspaper. At least the evening echo knows what it is and who is target market is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

So on the same basis should the Independent and the Daily Mail be confined to selling in Dublin, because from recent examination of these papers the majority of the stories are Dublin based, especially the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think the Examiner concentrates a great deal more on Cork than either the Mail or Independent does on Dublin. That said i do love reading the Examiner, its a quality newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

its the same with the evening herald, it is pretty much all dublin, but you can still buy it in cork i think tesco have it, the same as i can buy the examiner in north dublin when im at home,

i barely read the actually paper, i get it for the property supplement...which is 95% cork:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It has a different edition for outside Cork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Dudess wrote: »
    It has a different edition for outside Cork though.

This.

Even accounting for the OP not getting the above, I'm entirely lost as to why he would refer to the Irish Examiner as 'parochial' simply because it happens to focus on subjects that interest its core and traditional audience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cork's Ireland's second City and Prenderville has one of the highest ratings in commercial radio in Ireland. He actually beats many of the national talk shows in raw numbers of listeners (not just % of the Cork audience).

This story was also reported in the national tabloids and also on the Irish Times' website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Would it be fair to say that some of the other "national newspapers" give more coverage to Dublin issues than warranted? I know that would be a typical "outside of Dublin" argument but some people would see it as being accurate.

Personally I think the examiner is a good paper. Less of the opinion sh!te that occupies too much space on some of the other national broadsheets. Great GAA coverage during the summer from all areas of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

It's news coverage is nationwide for the most part, but I would think most of it's sales would be in the Cork region.
    The Times has good natinal coverage but papers like the indo and tabloids are Dublin based.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I have an Evening Herald around here somewhere which has a full-page spread on that story. :pac:

"Minor celebrity exposes self on plane, claims amnesia" will sell papers anywhere.

thejuggler wrote: »

There seems to be little doubt that they have an agenda at work here

Selling papers perhaps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

OP if you swap Examiner & Cork for Irish Times & South County Dublin your post would read exactly the same. All papers and their staff have a reporting bias to where they are from in its publishing of news stories, just look at the Guardian and its North London focus.

At least the Examiner doesn't have delusions about its status and doesn't consider itself 'a paper of record':rolleyes:. Although seeing as one of the papers journo was in the cockpit with regards the Prendeville story one wonders what happened behind the scenes to prevent de paper from publishing the story until weeks after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

it's published in cork, most of the reporters are probably from there. are you surprised they cover a lot of cork issues? have a look at the dublin times or the dublin independent and check how many cork stories.
    probably not going to flog many copies outside cork if it's called the cork examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thejuggler

That's the point - it does sell very few copies outside Cork despite many national advertising campaigns over the last decade.

Its still the same paper as it always was - they just tweeked the name hoping that it would make a national breakthrough. It didn't

Anyway the Prendeville coverage in the examiner more than any other publication just smells of vindictiveness.
    There is factual reporting and there are the examiners articles.....

I suppose in many ways the newspapers and radio stations are competing with each other for slices of the advertising pie. The success of local radio in Cork and Prendeville's show in particular probably takes a large percentage of the advertising spend that is available. That and the demise of property advertising must be hitting the examiner (and other newspapers) hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

apparently it's the most popular spreadsheet on the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The readership spread of any publication can be determined by one thing above anything else - advertsing. What % of ads, be they display or classified, covers goods/services outside Cork?

Advertisement