Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming vs downloading?

• 05-11-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know if its true that streaming a tv programme/film uses as much bandwith as downloading it would? I always thought that streaming would be less but was recently informed that its the same, anyone know if its true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

How do you suppose that the data would stream to your computer without actually being downloaded through your Internet connection? Data is data, whether it's streamed for a single viewing or downloaded for repeated viewing, it makes no difference.

Everything you get through your Internet connection is a download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you watch the same thing twice via streamimg, it's twice as much. With download, it's only once, no matter how often you watch it.
    A PVR to record and Replay TV uses none of your traffic. :) Gives better quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

streaming is usually lower quality so the bandwidth would be less but it would not be a massive difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

Baneblade wrote: »
    streaming is usually lower quality so the bandwidth would be less but it would not be a massive difference

yeah but that means that its blurry to watch then also...
    i often download the streamable material (when its not live) and the file sizes are much smaller in most cases, sure, but the quality is such that i cant watch it after starting downloading proper movies in proper quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I don't really know that much about streaming, but does it use a different container to stream and a different form of compression?

I mean there is a vast difference in size between, say, a 720p mp4 and a 720p mkv. I personally don't notice any drop in quality (I sit about a foot from my laptop so I'm close enough to tell)

I think a main difference with streaming size also is the audio quality. Most downloaded files have multiple audio streams (different languages, 2.1, 5.1... etc) included, with high bitrates (like DD5.1, HD DTS... etc)

When you are streaming you are more than likely only streaming an audio quality that is applicable to your setup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement