Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some desoldering braid, am in Swords

Options
  • 05-11-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

Is Maplin in the Blanch the nearest place I can nab some?

Tnx,

Inq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Call down to me and I'll give you a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Call down to me and I'll give you a bit

Thanks for the offer, I have had a crack at it and I am pretty sure my soldering skills suck far too much for me to even solder the 2 QSB's I have, and any further efforts will result in some pcb charring :) I have soldered stuff before, never pcb's tho and never on such a small scale, and my hands aren't the steadiest either :/

Maybe my technique is wrong, how is one supposed to solder a QSB?

Plenty of flux is required anyways.

Place the QSB where it needs to go, flux the QSB pad and the pad it's going to connect to. Heat both with the iron and flow solder, remove the iron and solder and it should be done. The hardest part is probably the first one but after that you should be flying :)

I have to admit you almost got it perfect ;)

The 5-pad board had a bit of excess solder spilling over and joining four pads into two sets, and under the QSB there was a trail of solder creating a jump, but a little more perseverance and I'm sure you'd have got it without lifting pads or wrecking traces :)

• Advertisement

I have to admit you almost got it perfect ;)

The 5-pad board had a bit of excess solder spilling over and joining four pads into two sets, and under the QSB there was a trail of solder creating a jump, but a little more perseverance and I'm sure you'd have got it without lifting pads or wrecking traces :)

Cheers, Touching Virus, your assessment is kinder than it should be. TBH I know mobos are pretty resilient from my days of clamping half inch piping to NB, SB's, CPUs and the like, but I have no idea how tolerant they are to an unskilled eijet with a 30W Soldering Iron :)

More tolerant than you expected :P Not an mark on the lacquer, never mind the actual board :)

Advertisement