Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stipple celing solution

• 05-11-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi,

Our house is only 7 years old we bought it 2nd hand, my problem is the kitchen and diningroom downstairs I would really love smooth ceilings and am looking at various options

The kitchen celining area is 16.5ft long / 8.5ft wide with 2 light fittings
    The dining room is 12ft long / 8ft wide with 1 light fitting

So what i am enquiring is if I get them reboarded and plastered how much (roughly )
    If I have then scraped and skimmed how much

And is there any other option available to have these removed

I HATE STIPPLES!!!!! :mad:

Thanks as always

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi,

You are looking at 8x8ft plasterboard slabs to cover them - approx €80
    2 bags skimcoat to plaster them - approx €20
    Labour for all - approx €250

All in all about the €350 mark should sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Or you could scrape them off (with water and mask), polybond and reskim for ~200 Id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Couldn't you use light coat of bonding, and then skim.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Thanks lads, not as bad as I thought so.. just have to talk the hubby into it now!! ;)
    Thanks again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

have done this before with lining paper, I used 1400 grade paper, looks well when finished relativly cheap compared to other methods, to get rid og the joints between the paper just use pollyfiller

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You could just buy a large bucket of Pollyfilla "Smooth Over" for around 35 euro in BnQ or Woodies for stippled ceilings and roll it on.

It does exaxctly what it says it does.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could just buy a large bucket of Pollyfilla "Smooth Over" for around 35 euro in BnQ or Woodies for stippled ceilings and roll it on.

It does exaxctly what it says it does.;)

have u ever tried using this? theres a bit more too it than that.. plus it would take loads of the tubs and imo its a nightmare to use.. unless ur good at plastering or something

Sparkpea wrote: »
    have u ever tried using this? theres a bit more too it than that.. plus it would take loads of the tubs and imo its a nightmare to use.. unless ur good at plastering or something

Eh,yes I have used it,and all you really need is a steady hand.

It doesnt take loads of tubs if you use it propperly and precisely.

It can also be thinned out a bit with some water,if you are really tight on it with regards your ceiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Get a good plasterer to come and look at it.
    He can advise if he needs to replace the boards or if he can simply skim over it.
    We had this done recently and it does make a world of difference.
    I would not DIY this unless you are absolutely confident in your abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

He can advise if he needs to replace the boards or if he can simply skim over it.
    I'd second that.

We had stipple issues too. Me and some mates tore the ceilings down, re boarded, and left the skim to an expert, Job was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I had some ceilings done - they basically painted on a polybond that I think they called "Ronafix", and just used skimcoat.

Used a fair few bags of skimcoat, but the job is still good, four years on.

If you put up extra boards you do lose some ceiling height, but only marginally.

That said, if I were doing it now, and the house were empty, I'd pull off all the original plasterboard and put up the 38mm insulated plasterboard, for thermal and acoustic purposes, imo it would be worth the small loss of ceiling height, and probably pay for itself in the long term.

Plastering is fairly messy - don't expect any plasterer to leave your house like a palace - there will be a lot of dust and dirt, and you'll likely have to repaint the walls as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

The process of removing the stipples is underway!!!!!!

Thank you for all your advice on this and Im looking forward to a stipple free life from now on :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

wallpaper stripper is good for that with gloves

jj build wrote: »
    wallpaper stripper is good for that with gloves

And do you know what even better and faster than that?

A steamer and a filling knife or wall paper stripper/scraper

The steamer on the stipple for around 10 seconds makes the stipple fall off in chunks.:D

And do you know what even better and faster than that?

A steamer and a filling knife or wall paper stripper/scraper

The steamer on the stipple for around 10 seconds makes the stipple fall off in chunks.:D
    its the same thing

its the same thing

Eh,No its not,actually.

An electric steamer is alot faster (allmost instant stripping) and its not the same thing as wallpaper stripper,as water is turned into steam with the electric steamer and its also natural and has no chemicals in it,which unlike wallpaper stripper that has chemicals in it and has to be left to soak into the paint for quite a while to work.

Wall paper stripper is much more time consuming and labour intensive too.

Electric steamer is much much better and faster,thanks to the heat and the steam penetrating the wall and paint instantly.
    been there done it and have the t-shirt (several times over at this stage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Eh,No its not,actually.

An electric steamer is alot faster (allmost instant stripping) and its not the same thing as wallpaper stripper,as water is turned into steam with the electric steamer and its also natural and has no chemicals in it,which unlike wallpaper stripper that has chemicals in it and has to be left to soak into the paint for quite a while to work.

Electric steamer is much much better and faster,thanks to the heat and the steam penetrating the wall and paint instantly.

You just need to be careful with it when you are using it over your head. The steam will condense and collect in the hand held thingie (technical term) and it'll fall and scald you.... Its not nice - trust me....

Eh,No its not,actually.

i wasn't talking about the chemical who the hell yous that i was talking about a steamer wallpaper stripper that's why i said where a glove so you are not scalded i have three earlex ones we yous them on house renovations before we re re skim the house

i wasn't talking about the chemical who the hell yous that i was talking about a steamer wallpaper stripper that's why i said where a glove so you are not scalded i have three earlex ones we yous them on house renovations before we re re skim the house

Fair enough so.

But 1st of all,you did not say that in your original post,so you left yourself open for correction.You said "wallpaper stripper you wear gloves",but you did not say that it was an electric steamer/stripper and the use of gloves was for prevention of scalding either.

Some people still do use "conventional" wall paper stripper solution for situations like this.And they also use gloves when working with this solution too,as it has chemicals in it.

Also,can you please try and maybe spell a bit better and also use some "Capital" letters,comma,s and full stops please when posting?

It makes it easier to actually read what you are trying to post and say.

Thanks.

Fair enough so.

But 1st of all,you did not say that in your original post,so you left yourself open for correction.You said "wallpaper stripper you wear gloves",but you did not say that it was an electric steamer/stripper and the use of gloves was for prevention of scalding either.

Some people still do use "conventional" wall paper stripper solution for situations like this.And they also use gloves when working with this solution too,as it has chemicals in it.

Also,can you please try and maybe spell a bit better and also use some "Capital" letters,comma,s and full stops please when posting?

It makes it easier to actually read what you are trying to post and say.

Thanks.
    you must be having trouble at home or else you have a very sad life trying to annoy me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

There are 2 different makes of stipple. Artex and Nutex. The Steamer will not take off the Artex. Artex can be skimmed over but you first paint it with Polly bond and even then it is a nightmare to skim because the gypsum skim dries really fast. We suffered on one about 10 years ago. If I were to do one now I would skim it with lime putty.

you must be having trouble at home or else you have a very sad life trying to annoy me

I have a great life in my new house and with my partner and daughter.Infact life is just perfect for me.

Im not trying to annoy you at all,not my problem that you may feel annoyed though.

regards

I have a great life in my new house and with my partner and daughter.Infact life is just perfect for me.

Im not trying to annoy you at all,not my problem that you may feel annoyed though.

regards
    Ah that will explain it so yer only starting out good luck to ye so

Ah that will explain it so yer only starting out good luck to ye so

Im not starting out at all,Ive been on the property ladder for a good while now and have made some very wize and sound financial investments over the years.This has led me to being in the position of now owning my house now,while still only in my early 30s.

Thanks for your concern though,and good luck to you too.

yea still only starting out

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Could anyone recommend a plasterer with experience at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

I need to Repair a small patch of stipple about one foot square.
    Any ideas on how to do that.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

has anyone tried using thistle bond on the ceiling then skimming over. it works pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Lads lads lads you do know there is asbestos in aertex and it should never be sanded or scraped. do it the right way put on a mask take down the boards re slap and skim. its very dangerous stuff Google if your not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

zipzoc wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a plasterer with experience at this?

Anyone?

Advertisement