Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make your dog vomit

Options
  • 05-11-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

Ok, a strange title I know but I happened upon this video on Videojug amd found it rather interesting. If a situation did occur where a dog ingested poison or an item they couldn't digest, it might be a very handy thing to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Got a shock with the title alright!

Good to know, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Really important for all dog owners to know - I, unfortunately, have had to make my dogs vomit on several occasions and the salt method works wonders. I have asked more than one vet about it and as long as the dog brings it all back up it's fine. If they dog does not bring it all back up you could have a problem but really they empty their entire stomach and it's fine. Always worth knowing because if the situation ever happens that the dog has to vomit it's quick and easy and after about half an hour they are usually back to themselves (if not a bit cranky!) Newspaper is a must though!

EDIT: What is said below me by anniehoo is very good advice - I would always recommend taking a dog to the vet if you don't know what they have swallowed or if it could potentially be very dangerous! Also, if you do have to induce vomiting for whatever reason and the dog does not get to the "dry heave" stage (often, they will do this a few times before you can be totally sure they are empty), indicating that they are totally empty, they will need to be taken to the vet to make sure whatever it is is all out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Its actually not advisable at all to induce vomiting in a dog that has swallowed an object. If the dog has swallowed a stick for example, which lodges in the oesophagus, adding a dough ball to the mix could make it worse. The dog could potentially choke on both things then.Its also not adisable to induce vomiting if the animal has swallowed a caustic product e.g bleach. Regurgitating bleach will burn on the way down as well as the way back up. While the principals of that video are grand for known poisons, just make 100% sure you know what its ingested first. Also vomiting will only remove ~50% of the stomach contents so bring to a vet anyway to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Just word of warning, if a dog or any other animal swallows pesticide, try find out the first aid section if you can (section 4 of the safety data sheet at the back of the pesticide label), as some of the most poisonous state not to make the victim vomit.

Advertisement