Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Brochure type site - Recommendations

Options
  • 05-11-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Alright, I am a total novice to this type of thing, but basically I want (in an ideal world) a brochure style website, with a nice custom looking front end, and a fairly easy to use interface for adding photo albums and editing content.
    I am definitely looking for something that design wise is top notch, as the site will be relating to kitchen and interior design so I think this will be quite important.

So the question, to those that know better than me, is what would the starting costs for something like this be these days? I was involved in the development of a similar site for a previous employer, and it really was quite similar to what I want but way out of my budget at over €2200. Not sure what my budget is yet (just definitely not that much), so thats why I am asking here for general advice before I start bugging companies.

Also, do any of you think that free build packages like weebly are any use for this type of thing, and is it possible for a pleb like me to get any sort of results with google rankings with these types of sites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't think you'll get a top notch design if €2200 is way over budget, but maybe it would help if you could post some links to sites that you like?
    Also, do any of you think that free build packages like weeble are any use for this type of thing

I don't know that package, but I'm going to say no. There's a reason why people do this professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

eoin wrote: »
    I don't think you'll get a top notch design if €2200 is way over budget, but maybe it would help if you could post some links to sites that you like?

I don't know that package, but I'm going to say no. There's a reason why people do this professionally.

Thanks for the reply Eoin. Ah I know the sky is the limit with this type of thing. I guess what I'm asking is are there good clean, modern, custom looking template type sites that can be used to reduce costs? It realistically would be a very simple site, with only a handful of pages.
    Style wise I like the look of sites like these http://www.newcastledesign.ie/
    http://www.andrewryan.ie/index.php

Realistically all I want is little more than a blog, with a nice photo album, my own .ie domain, and something that could have some seo work done and get a nice ranking... Any idea what sort of money I would have to look at setting aside? (I am only going to be doing this part time, evenings and weekends, so trying to keep costs down, but it will cost what it will cost I suppose)

I don't want to compromise if at all possible, so if the answer is to just spend the money then thats what I will have to do, it will just take a bit more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Ah I know the sky is the limit with this type of thing. I guess what I'm asking is are there good clean, modern, custom looking template type sites that can be used to reduce costs?

I have always thought the pai Wordpress theme on themeforest is an elegant starting point http://themeforest.net/item/pai-simple-and-clean-business-corporate-template/full_screen_preview/135346.

/.02€

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

I like it, i really do! It's clean and modern, and simple. But how does someone go from there to a fully functioning website, and what sort of costs would be associated with someone getting it to that stage?

I know these are probably silly questions, but I really am quite clueless! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Dude if you online now and on messenger, you can add me and ill try answer your question to the best of my ability. I think thats easier that asking a question and a response a day or so later. Can u PM your details if you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What's the site for exactly. Is it a company or a personal portfolio?

If it's personal, or a photographers, then cargocollective.com might be suitable and cheap solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

http://www.drupalgardens.com/ seems interesting. If you go down this type of route you will need to have the time and willingness to learn some of the techy stuff. SEO is a different matter - you may need some professional help with that.

Advertisement