Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom metal

Options
  • 05-11-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Very interesting genre, I like it for the atmosphere. Reverend Bizarre are pretty good, Children of Doom is a good song by them. Also checked out the most extreme doom metal band ever, Rigor Sardonicus, I don't think anyone could get any more nihilistic than this band, they literally sound inhumanly dark and depressing, the vocals are pitched shifted down really low, the guitars are heavily downtuned and crushing, the songs are extremely slow paced, I wouldn't listen to this stuff normally because its beyond negative, Esoteric are upbeat compared to them. Aside from that I think Doom metal is worthy of further exploration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Not a big doom fan! I do like My Dying Bride and some of Mourning Beloveth stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Darkside events

there is so many different types of doom .
    all depends on your taste if ya prefare high pitched singing grunts and stuff

try these band for the heavyness

electric wizard (dopethrone ) especialy
    yob
    goatsnake ( pete stall one of the greatest voices in rock)
    eagle twin
    pentagram
    and sabbath's early stuff they wrote the book !

my dying bride are or were doom/death in the early 90 along with paradise lost and anathema

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Really getting into doom at the moment, although maybe the stoner metal side of it though. I like the way that something that should in theory be really boring but, can creat such an atmosphere and really suck you into the song. Loving Sleep now and all their derivatives: Om, High on Fire (I know, not really doom) Shrinebuilder. Dopesmoker by them is some trip! Liking Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath (of course) and maybe a bit of Ahab as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The best classic doom bands are undoubtedly Pentagram and Saint Vitus (aside from Sabbath of course). Trouble, The Obsessed and Candlemass are also well worth checking out if you like that classic sound. Iron Man and Ogre aren't old but play in a similar style.

More modern bands who have taken doom in a few different directions like Electric Wizard and Cathedral are also pretty savage. Sleep are phenomenal too, from their Sabbath worship on Volume One and Holy Mountain to the completely untouchable Dopesmoker (or Jerusalem depending which version you've got, Jerusalem's better in my opinion), they would rival Sabbath for my affections.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

Nadja and The Angelic Process...maybe more drone than doom..nice heaviness but also very melodic and atmospheric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Great genre. Check out Candlemass, Cathedral, The Gates of Slumber, Grand Magus and Solitude Aeturnus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Cathedral would be top of my list anyway although they are kinda veering towards stoner rock.For darker stuff like My Dying Bride I have to be in a certain frame of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

another metal sub division?

whats next, I cant believe its not metal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

doom metal is a legitimate one, something like gore/viking/caveman metal is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

another metal sub division?

whats next, I cant believe its not metal!
    Another? Since it began in the 80's, I'd hardly class it as "another", it's been pretty well established.

• Advertisement

Doom, thrash, death... I can't keep up with all these newfangled subgenres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Check out Ramesses, its totally doom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Old Paradise Lost, Katatonia and Anathema before they all changed direction. Bloody Kisses has to be one of the most depressing, rip your heart out of your chest songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Nothing else my friend

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I just ordered Electric Wizard and Moss' latest albums from Rise Above's site last night :)

I love Doom, the filthier the better :)

Check out Irish band Wreck of the Hesperus for some proper mankiness from the sewers.

(yes, I'm a shill for them, their drummer and guitarist/vocalist are friends of mine :))

Can't have a Doom thread without mentioning Esoteric who played in Fibbers last year and was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Shrinebuilder are playing in Dublin and Cork at the end of the month too, I won't be missing that!

My current "can't stop listening to" band is YOB. Picked up The Unreal Never Lived and The Illusion of Motion recently (from Amazon MP3 - was the only place I could find them digitally) having had Catharsis for several years and having been utterly blown away by their latest The Great Cessation and their 2 sets at the Roadburn festival this year.

Infact, you should check the Roadburn site, they have streams of tons of the bands who've played there over the years. It's the one festival I do my best to get to every year and it never disappoints.

Sacrilege's Beyond the Realms of Madness is one of the best metal albums I own. I found it in a 2nd hand shop, bought it on the strength of the cover and loved it. It's not as doomy as the video you linked there but it's face ripping stuff.
    damonjewel wrote: »
    Check out Ramesses, its totally doom

Waiting for their new one to arrive. Great band.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Jebus, that Ahab track is powerful stuff! I'm looking for more of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The last three tracks on black flags My War album...try to say it's not doom... g'wan. You know its as doom as f**k :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Just giving this thread a wee bump as I got 3 new albums in the post yesterday - Electric Wizard's Black Masses, Moss' Tombs of the Blind Drugged and Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine's Rampton. Wizard's new one is good, but has more of a Sabbath sort of feel than previous offerings and for that reason, it might disappoint some of their fans (one of my friends hates it).

Teeth of Lions... if you've never heard of them is a Doom "supergroup" made up of Stephen O'Malley and Greg Anderson from Sunn O))), Lee Dorian from Cathederal and Justin Greeves (formerly of Iron Monkey and Electric Wizard). I'd heard it before and it's good, I just hadn't been able to get a hold of the album for ages. Figured since I was buying the other 2 albums from Rise Above, I'd get this too :) It's well worth a listen if you're looking for something different.

Moss' latest though is yet another example of them doing what they do best. horrible, manky, disturbing noise (if you like that sort of thing :P). I recommend everyone gives them a listen.

Moss are feckin' terrific. Got their new live album in the post the other day, looking forward to giving it a spin. That Tombs of the Blind Drugged EP is brilliant, the Hammond organ is epic. Have you got any of their other releases?

I was a little disappointed with the new Electric Wizard but it's grown on me a lot. That opening track is killer.

And Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine is a stunning album, probably the best of that lot you got. Heavier than a death in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

^^^ Gotta say, that Shrinebuilder track has to be one of the highlights of the album. Anyone heading to see them next week? I'm gonna see them in Cork, with support from People of the Monolith. Should be a pretty cool gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Advertisement