Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom metal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

People seem to be only mentioning stonerish doom bands....The two most crushing doom bands of the last few years would be Warning and Funeral....music so bleak it should come with a mental health warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

It all depends on the type of Doom you're into. At the moment its Pentagram/Pagan Altar/SHeavy thats doing it for me. I'm not sure whether you'd call them stoner though, labels don't really matter when the music is this good :D

nice selections^^

here's some candlemass :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

Candlemass are the only properly doom band mentioned so far...IMHO that is.

Awesome band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Candlemass are the only properly doom band mentioned so far...IMHO that is.

Awesome band.

Yeah because the likes of Saint Vitus and Pentagram aren't doom at all...

speaking of pentagram, im listening to alot of them right now, i missed in 2009 :(

Too bad, it was a great gig and it looked like it wasn't going to happen (they cancelled their UK dates at the same time as the Dublin gig) so to actually see them was fantastic.

3961363644_0bf22ee805_z.jpg
    Pentagram by kealyj, on Flickr

:rolleyes: awesome picture, mad stage antics id say. i hope they come over play a show again!!

• Advertisement

Me too. I think Bobby said they'd be back but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Great weekend of gigs that was....September 27th 2009 wasnt it?

Advance tracks from the new album have been played.... apparently they sound a lot like the 'Be Forewarned' material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

the new Pentagram album artwork revealed :)

pentagramrites.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nodferatu wrote: »
    the new Pentagram album artwork revealed :)

pentagramrites.jpg

This is the single most ground breaking and well executed cover art that I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Bucking deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Think someone posted a link to Mourning Beloveth already but everybody show some respect to Ireland's 2nd biggest metal musical export! Fantastic and crushing band! Great live too!

i got the new crowbar cd today, its ****ing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Glad I decided to pay a visit to this thread. This is a genre I never really looked into and I have to say I'm really liking some of it.

Still have the majority of videos to work through but the standout so far is definitely Ahab. That track is brilliant. Listening to more of that album on youtube and it is immense. Nice one Denny M!

So what would be the quintessential doom bands? I know the genre seems to have more variation than I'd have thought so there could be some arguments over which bands should be included :D

well if you want my advise you should start with these bands, then you will discover a tonne more, im no expert in the genre im relatively new been listening to doom for about 2 - 3 years, not that long but i started off with Vitus... black sabbath is another, there are alot of sub genre's etc like stoner doom, funeral doom, sludge doom but im not into all this sub genres and multi tagging bands, its all metal at the end of the day :) it just depends in what you like listening to
    start with these and you cant go wrong....
    Pentagram
    St. Vitus
    Candlemass

Sleep
    Cathedral

Electric Wizard

• Advertisement

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Glad I decided to pay a visit to this thread. This is a genre I never really looked into and I have to say I'm really liking some of it.

Still have the majority of videos to work through but the standout so far is definitely Ahab. That track is brilliant. Listening to more of that album on youtube and it is immense. Nice one Denny M!

So what would be the quintessential doom bands? I know the genre seems to have more variation than I'd have thought so there could be some arguments over which bands should be included :D

Basically, for classic doom, you need:

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory of The Bizarre Reverend
    Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
    Scald - Will of The Gods Is Great Power
    Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths of Sorrow
    Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium
    Pagan Altar - Volume 1
    Solstice - Lamentations

Start with them Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ray C

I love a lot of the doom/death bands like Mourning Beloveth, My Dying Bride, Mournful Congregation, Remembrance.
    I also listen to bands like Pentagram, Black Sabbath, Pagan Altar, Cathedral, Count Raven etc.
    The best doom album I've heard in years is Griftegard's 'Sacred, Solemn, Severe'. An absolutely breathtaking slab of doom!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbcEUmWxuAA

Griftegard are great stuff indeed. Really enjoyed their performance at DDDII, as it was at a stage where I was sober enough to actually focus on the bands playing. Got their split with Count Raven too, its deadly..

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Griftegard are great stuff indeed. Really enjoyed their performance at DDDII, as it was at a stage where I was sober enough to actually focus on the bands playing. Got their split with Count Raven too, its deadly..

DDII was quiet possibly the best gig I've ever been to! Hour of 13 were amazing.
    The Griftegard/Count Raven split is class alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Marry

Useful.Idiot - Mags?
    Either way, I agree....MB are **** heavy. I tihnk a better example of their heaviness is The Burning Man...I think I'll actually just put in on now....Full blast on my speakers...which are located 1 inch from my ears..and die a little ha.

Check out Graveyard Dirt, Fook heavy..slow..gothic-like doom, melancholic in points. Deadly nonetheless. New album is called For Grace or Damnation and previous release is named Shadows of Old Ghosts (I prefer that one myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Witchfinder General are worth a listen

can't have a doom thread without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Marry wrote: »
    Useful.Idiot - Mags?
    Either way, I agree....MB are **** heavy. I tihnk a better example of their heaviness is The Burning Man...I think I'll actually just put in on now....Full blast on my speakers...which are located 1 inch from my ears..and die a little ha.

Check out Graveyard Dirt, Fook heavy..slow..gothic-like doom, melancholic in points. Deadly nonetheless. New album is called For Grace or Damnation and previous release is named Shadows of Old Ghosts (I prefer that one myself).

It is indeed Mr. Marry! Can't bate MB! And yeah I must really get my hands on Graveyard Dirts newest...reviews are saying its phenomenal!

It is indeed Mr. Marry! Can't bate MB! And yeah I must really get my hands on Graveyard Dirts newest...reviews are saying its phenomenal!

True!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Doom metal is one, I've found, to have a particularly misleading name. Anytime I mention liking doom metal, people think it's some goth ****, but there's some really amazing stoner/doom metal stuff out there! Sleep would be my favourite, though they're an obvious one! I think Sleep's Holy Mountain is one of the best metal albums of the 90's! Dragonaut reminds me a lot of Master of Reality era-Sabbath, but the Druid is my favourite! Then, as well, there's Electric Wizard and then The Blood Farmers' Orgy of Rats album. Some amazing shtuff!

• Advertisement

I listened to My Dying Bride's 'The Angel And The Dark River' for the first time in ages today! Stunning album, dripping with melancholy. I can't wait for the gig!

Advertisement