Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on re-homing my cat

Options
  • 05-11-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    to cut a long story short I have five cats. Three girls and 2 toms all neutered. Two years ago I got the latest addition, a new three month old girl named Poppy. Now she's all grown up and an absolute beauty, but she is also very very big, domineering and aggressive in a mischievous sort of way. One of my other girls Tigerlily is very little and soft and is always getting a really hard time from Poppy. It wasn't a big deal when we were leaving in the sticks because the house and garden was big enough for them to both have plenty of space. Also all the mice and birds were keeping Poppy distracted so she wasn't picking on Lily so much. Now we moved back the the city for work, we have a ground floor apartment which is a lot smaller than our last place and poor old Lily is just tormented by Poppy 24/7. She's getting very depressed from it all and just can't defend herself. We've tried putting shelves up and special beds in corners etc for Lily to feel secure as well as locking Poppy out in a back room at night to give her a break but it's just not working. I love all my cats to bits but I need to sort this out for poor Lily's sake, ideally family would be the best to take Poppy but they all have so many cats of their own it's not an option. Does anyone know how to go about re-homing a pet with people who are reliable and will really give Poppy all the love and attention she deserves? We've waited for two years for things to calm down between them and it's only gotten worse :( Moving again or renting a bigger place isn't an option, we're too broke.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i really feel for you as im going through the same thing, i took in a cat that was badly injured about 6 months ago. very bad spinal injury. Anyways she dont get on with my old female cat, not that she does anything my cat is just scared of her and will not come into the same room as her and is really stressing.
    Its not fair on my old cat so im thinking of rehoming the stray. she was never really meant to stay but with the vet care and everything she has just sort of stayed. im heartbroken as not just the money i have spent on her its just she has stolen all are hearts but i cant think of what else to do.
    So i will be watching this post for advise as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

When I was trying to rehome a kitten I found(who I ended up keeping) I asked a local rescue centre if I could advertise it on their page. Atleast theres more chance of getting someone who cares about animals that way.

Are there any cat rescues in your area? Even put the cats picture and details up on their facebook pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Thanks for the responses. I know of a cat rescuer in Kerry but I'd feel bad asking for her help as I know she is very stressed and over worked all the time. I will try and find someone in Cork I guess although Tbh I find the whole thing a bit embarrassing, I feel like I messed this all up big time so I'd prefer to go it alone if possible. I'd also have to meet the person myself and find out where they live, is it safe (dangerous roads etc) and are they really cat people too before I could let her go. I wonder would anyone put up with me scrutinizing them to that extent for a fully grown cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I know of a cat rescuer in Kerry but I'd feel bad asking for her help as I know she is very stressed and over worked all the time. I will try and find someone in Cork I guess although Tbh I find the whole thing a bit embarrassing, I feel like I messed this all up big time so I'd prefer to go it alone if possible. I'd also have to meet the person myself and find out where they live, is it safe (dangerous roads etc) and are they really cat people too before I could let her go. I wonder would anyone put up with me scrutinizing them to that extent for a fully grown cat?

If they wouldnt let you visit, question them etc, then they are not the ppl you are looking for. If they are the ppl for your cat then they will welcome this as they will un
    derstand that you want the best for your cat. im the same im not activally looking for a new home but when the right home comes up i will know. im just looking on sites like this to see who is looking.
    good luck in finding a home

Advertisement