Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Soundtracks of 2010 (so far)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Featured song: Throwback Galaxy
    This is typical Mario, love it !

Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game (Featured song: Another Winter)
    Like this retro sound too, nice !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some great tracks there. Especially like the VVVVVV and Dark Void ones. Personally, i can't wait for the Assassins Creed Brotherhood soundtrack, as the last one was fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

VVVVVV and Scott Pilgrim are my favourites so far. I heard Nier had an amazing soundtrack and is very underappreciated, going to pick it up since it's selling for peanuts. I love the Falcom Y's game soundtracks as well, very retro. Must get No More Heroes 2, loved the soundtrack in the first game and Pleather for breakfast was one of the best boss tunes ever. Glad to see Yuzo Koshiro still doing some work in the etrian odyssey games.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Alan Wake for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Red dead redemption had a great score on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I really liked Nitin Sawhney's soundtrack for Enslaved.
    The music from Super Meat Boy is brilliant too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the guy that wrote it doesn't usually like the overwritten orchestral scores for games usually, sowould usually go for games that have their own unique style.

I got the VVVVVV and scott pilgrim soundtracks just there on the strength of the stuff I just heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The opening song in Mafia 2 is simply awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Nier, FFXIII and Ys Seven are on the list, and for that I approve of this list. :pac:

Side note: I ordered Nier recently Retr0 from Asda and it has yet to even ship, so just to warn you that a purchase from TheHut/Asda/Zavvi may leave you waiting a while. You can't really go wrong for £10 though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Scott Pilgrim soundtrack is full of all sorts if win. Was painful waiting for them to release the full thing over here (legally kids!).

Does Rock Band 3 count? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fixed it for you, noodler... FYI, the syntax is:

[ YOUTUBE ] OIvdj2dwfxE [ /YOUTUBE ] (remove all spaces)

Back on topic, I really love the first level music of Scott Pilgrim (especially when you are getting near the end and the music starts getting rocky....). Not sure if any other music from the game is as memorable (but I'm only on level 4 or so....)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

The *only* pick I question on their list is the Nier track. I presume there's better music in the game because this track just goes on and on without enough variation for me. All the other picks are brilliant tracks from games I've never played or didn't notice the music on so kudos for the link!

Seeing as I only picked out Nier's track as unworthy, I'd swap it for the cracking Overlord track from Mass Effect 2. Really slow build-up but once it gets going at 3:05 it's epic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's definitely a couple of other kick ass songs on the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack than Another Winter. A few work wonderfully in context but not so well on CD. Others, though, work both ways:

Love that MGS: PW song too. Watched the opening cutscene everytime I turned it on 'twas so epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Castlevania LOS should be up there tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I know VVVVVV has been mentioned, but this track is also a stand out. Builds and builds to a fantastic crescendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I think the Medal of Honor OST is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Heavy Rain - Painful Memories, almost tears. Almost, but I'm manly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

It's not even from the 21st century, but 2010 was when I was introduced to:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i enjoy Bayonetta OST alot :P

and Sc2:WoL has a nice ost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

9 of the games on the top 10 list are from japanese. Seems like they are slightly biased in their choice's.

Red Dead Redemption had a nice soundtrack, as did Mass Effect 2. God of War 3 also comes to mind, uh...cant think of any else at the moment.

Demons Soul had a very good soundtrack to. Or lack of soundtrack in the prison level. With music that level wouldnt be as scary as it was for a first time player.

Im playing a little unknown game at the moment called Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes on the PS3. Was released like 1 month ago and im putting more hours into it than i am Fallout New Vegas. The OST from it is awesome also, loving everysong on it so far.

Well he does sayhis bias in the article by mentioning that he doesn't like game soundtracks where it's all orchestrated and it's trying to be a film soundtrack which is most western games these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Shame, I'm a huge fan of 'western style' OSTs, would be nice to see a reviewer's list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Red Dead was awesome. The moment when you reach Mexico and Jose Gonzalas starts......excellent! One of my favourite gaming moments ever.

Scott Pilgrim is brilliant. I know it's early......but If Assassin's Creed keeps up what it was doing for II, then brotherhood will be one of my favourites of the year.

Awesome:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well he does sayhis bias in the article by mentioning that he doesn't like game soundtracks where it's all orchestrated and it's trying to be a film soundtrack which is most western games these days.

Well he wont like this then

Its true there's a ton of games with cliché dramatic 'Hollywood' style music most of which is pretty forgettable.

Still there are some good ones. The Suicide mission track from ME2 is fantastic imo, suited that part of the game very well. The japanese don't do everything right all the time.

*cringes at the SF4 main menu music :(

Well I think the Mass Effect music doesn't fall into that category. It mixes orchestrated with a lot of electronically generated sounds so it's quite unique.

I think his point is that he likes when videogame music doesn't try to be like film scores and is unique to the medium. It's probably why he likes chiptunes so much. There's a few orchestrated tracks in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

another +1 for Red Dead, great atmosphere and timing for the vocal songs. the ambient soundtrack was perfect for red dead too and never interferred with the wild west whatsoever, very tastefully done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I think the Mass Effect music doesn't fall into that category. It mixes orchestrated with a lot of electronically generated sounds so it's quite unique.

I think his point is that he likes when videogame music doesn't try to be like film scores and is unique to the medium. It's probably why he likes chiptunes so much. There's a few orchestrated tracks in there as well.

Yeah I suppose it comes to mind cause ME2 does lean more towards the orchestrated side a lot more than ME1 much to some fans disappointment. But this is really to reflect the darker more dramatic tone the game itself has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Red Dead was awesome. The moment when you reach Mexico and Jose Gonzalas starts......excellent! One of my favourite gaming moments ever.

+1, it was brilliantly done.

Advertisement