Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefit of Extra Insultation in Upstairs Walls Only?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

Building a dormer and can easily add warm board to the internal gable walls upstairs -(not doing it for budget reasons downstairs). Would doing this have any positive bearing on DEAP calculations or would the complete wall need to have the same level of insultation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I dont believe this would have any effect on the DEAP but would be beneficial. As for impact on overall energy efficiency heat does flow up but it also moves towards the path of least resistance. i.e. colder elements, so the downstairs will be the weak link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Insulating any external wall will have a positive effect on your BER rating.

Take photos and keep invoices to show to your assessor.

The overall benefit to you will depend on the amount of exposed wall you are insulating.
    It will certainly help with perceived warmth and comfort upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Thanks for that - I think I will go and do this, prob add 37.5 mm board to the inside wall as it will cost a small incremental amount only- it will only cover maybe 20% of the total exposed wall area so I suppose it wont make much a a difference to the cals either way

Advertisement