Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing bathroom downlights

Options
  • 05-11-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Having a bit of a problem with two bathroom downlights. Have been in the house about a year, and one of the lights never worked even though i replaced the bulb (2 pin halogen i think - plugs into a small white round socket which connects to a yellow transformer thing in the attic).

The bathroom can get quite steamy and i suspect the steam is corroding the contacts that the bulbs go into. I have been in the attic and when if i move the wires, the light will come on, stay on for a few hours/days, and go off again. This can't be safe!

I assume i need to replace the whole lot. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

These are 12V halogen dicroics. When this happens it could be the contacts as you say, its more likey to be the transformer though. (as these fittings use 12V not 230V mains power). You will need a new 12V transformer approx €10 and lampholder approx €2 and some connectors to solve the problem.

Best to get a sparky (like me) to do the work for you too.

Also these should be sealed fittings (IP66 or greater) if they're in a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Best to get a sparky (like me) to do the work for you too.

Thanks for that, how much would you charge for that that job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

perhaps change complete fitting including transformer with
    an enclosed gu10. there relatively cheap and an easy fit
    its steamproof and if it stops working then only the bulb needs replacing
    similar to these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ip44-Rated-Bathroom-Recessed-Downlight/dp/B002Y5WTDU

from your post i would say there is a loose connection on the pins feeding the bulb.the holder can be replaced easily for less than euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i think you should replace the fitting for an ip 65 one.
    the first thing you need to do is measure the diameter of the hole the downlighter sits into in the ceiling. with this measurement go to your nearest elec wholesaler and ask for an ip rated downlighter that has a cut out diameter the same or close to your existing ones, or better yet post up the measurement here and ill tell you what brand will fit and where to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I agree with meercat and indie armada.

But a new fitting. I bought one in woodies on sale a month ago, specially for bathroom, zone one for €15.99.

Easy.. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

harry21 wrote: »

But a new fitting. I bought one in woodies on sale a month ago, specially for bathroom, zone one for €15.99.

Easy.. Best of luck

15.99.....holy crap......that seems a bit steep.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

15.99.....holy crap......that seems a bit steep.:eek:

Steep is not the word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

harry21 wrote: »

Easy.. Best of luck

WOW.......Woodies really saw you comming.:eek:

Why do so many people go to Woodies and buy that CRAP,and still think that its a bargain,when allmost every electrical wholesaler will sell you the likes of a Robus IP rated bathroom downlight fitting and waterproof GU10 connector/fitting for around 6-7 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

paddy147 wrote: »
    WOW.......Woodies really saw you comming.:eek:

Why do so many people go to Woodies and buy that CRAP,and still think that its a bargain,when allmost every electrical wholesaler will sell you the likes of a Robus IP rated bathroom downlight fitting and waterproof GU10 connector/fitting for around 6-7 euro.

Ah... for gods sake...... Why didn't I think of that. I'm gutted now. I didn't even think to go to say Dwyers to get the fitting, even though I bought all the cable and stuff there after. Oh that one mistake I will never make again.

Thanks

Advertisement