Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squirrel s for sale

Options
  • 05-11-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

was up in a garden centre between lexlip and celbridge were they had ground squrrels for sale. never seen this kinda animal for sale as a pet before and was wondering has anyone else?. kept in a tiny enclosure i felt so sorry for them . plus 140 euro for one.not that the price was the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

yeah the one in the pick

Never heard of those for sale before! Not too sure what looking after them would mean either, I'm sure they would need a huge area! I've had chipmunks before, we had a big home made enclosure made from an old kitchen dresser with lots of branches and nesting boxes and a chinchilla wheel. We also chipmunk proofed the whole garage and had an old pub pool table in there and let them have free run of the place for 4-5 hours a day. They had great craic playing inside the pool table with all the little tunnels inside it. We always got them from a breeder though and they needed a bit of special care due to them hibernating in winter and going a bit crazy at the beginning of spring! I have seen plenty of chipmunks in petshops in tiny cages, would always recommend trying to find a breeder for any pet as opposed to pet-shop bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

are 2 local pets shops last yr were selling squirrells. €150 they were selling them for. def squirrels not chipmunks. In one of the shops they were letting ppl hold them and was all going well till i did and it bit hard. poor thing was proberply so stressed. didnt think they would allowed to be sold in shops as pets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

pokertalk wrote: »
    was up in a garden centre between lexlip and celbridge were they had ground squrrels for sale. never seen this kinda animal for sale as a pet before and was wondering has anyone else?. kept in a tiny enclosure i felt so sorry for them . plus 140 euro for one.not that the price was the issue.

I saw that one aswell

• Advertisement

boxerly wrote: »
    I saw that one aswell
    they have good x mas stuff do;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive had more run ins with that place over the way they keep their small animals.

They had a couple of Water dragons and one of them was loosing its bottom jaw from cage rubbing--Common problem with them in captivity.Basically you fix it by putting a line of dark paper inside the cage on the glass so they cant see their reflection.
    Told them this and the answer I got was that then potential buyers couldnt see them.I says to the manager that no one that knows anything about water dragons would ever buy these in the condition they were in.I offered to take it away,keep it in a darkened cage so that the wounds could heal and give it back but they wanted me to pay for it.Poor thing died a week later.

Their snakes are kept in atrocious conditions.They have a Western hog nose thats about 16 inches long kept in a small "critter keeper" type container asking price on it is 200 euros.I can but these for 40 and I offered him 50 for it but he wasnt interested--That snake is there over a year now.The thing can barely move in a cage that small.

They have a green(yellow?) anaconda that no one will feed regularly because the thing is nuts--highly aggressive species of snake thats only for really experienced keepers.They shouldnt even have one of these for sale as they grow to 10 feet+ and no one in the shop knows how to look after them.

I could go on but that place should not be allowed to sell anything other than fish because thats all they seem to concentrate on and I feel that their other animals are there just for the sake that they might sell something.

Makes by blood boil to see pet shops like this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

they have good x mas stuff do;)

I buy absolutely nothing from them now.I wont even buy a frozen mouse after the discussions I ve had with them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I cant believe what I am reading about that awful pet shop. How will anyone know how to take care of a squirrel, chipmunk, snakes etc.
    They should not be sold as pets (except small harmless snakes, owned by experienced people) or kept in those conditions in a pet shop or anywhere.
    They should be free, out in the wild etc.
    Can the animal welfare/ISPCA not do anything about this?
    can we not report the pet shop?
    I saw a pet shop in Cork which was filthy and smelly and the fish tanks obviously had'nt been cleaned in months, there was even dead fish floating while other fish were at it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Unfortunately, there's little that we can do. I reported a pet shop last year to the ISPCA for having a juvenille snowy owl for sale!! Apparently, the owner had all the papers for it and threatened to call the gardai if the investigator ever came around again. I've been banned from the place since because I freaked out over the condition of some bearded dragons in there; they didn't have a basking lamp or heat mat and there were far too many cramped together, so much so that most of them had had their tails bitten off. Not to mention that the poor beardies had to have only been hatchlings they were so tiny. Saw black squirrels for sale in there about two years back, a caiman, and even pug puppys last christmas... I really wish pet shops didn't sell animals. Or we at least had some way of regulating the damn place. No such luck in this country though.

• Advertisement

yeah they dont seem to give an f about their animals.the pet section is not that busy at all so i dont think they invest much time or money into them.and the staff???? clueless!.the pet section is up to the code of standard as you might find at a sunday market.it might help if i made a complaint do you think hellrazer?
    would love an anaconda myself but the space you need is insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

There was a confirmed sighting of a chipmuck in Waterford I think, I hope things don't end up with a confirmed sighting of a ground squirrel.

I don't know how I feel about pet shops selling live stock, the only way to make money off them must be a quick turn over.

There was a confirmed sighting of a chipmuck in Waterford I think, I hope things don't end up with a confirmed sighting of a ground squirrel.

I don't know how I feel about pet shops selling live stock, the only way to make money off them must be a quick turn over.

They don't make money from livestock at all, in most cases they make a loss. The reason they keep livestock is because there is a demand for it and entices customers into the shop . . . . supposededly. There are only 2 pet shops I have ever bought anything in that I thought at all worthy of my custom, online all the way ;).

Advertisement