Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copy and Paste: Ship explosions

Options
  • 05-11-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that the graphic of the Bird of Prey exploding in The Undiscovered Country (Kang's ship) is the same as the explosion in Generations when Lursa and B'etor's ship gets destroyed?

I would have thought they'd have used different explosions, maybe money was tight, or the explosion from Undiscovered Country was suitably spectacular already!

Undiscovered Country, look at 6.30 onwards.

Generations, look at 2.40 onwards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've seen in it DS9 too, Way Of The Warrior I think showed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the same dominion, POB, and shuttle explode all the time.
    cheap asses.

how come when ships explode there never any debris either?
    a few explosions are well done with huge bits of ship breaking away burning etc but most are cheap fire cracker effects

a few explosions are well done with huge bits of ship breaking away burning etc but most are cheap fire cracker effects

I'll take them over CG any day. Real models is becoming a lost art before our eyes, or in fact already has become one.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

To be fair I expect in in the series, they only have limited budgets there and they have to reuse the same shots to keep the money manageable.

When it comes to the films though I was convinced that all new CGI/Models/whatever is always used. I was wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

This has been pointed out a few times before. Pretty poor on the film front to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'll take them over CG any day. Real models is becoming a lost art before our eyes, or in fact already has become one.

The were crazy expensive though??

blowing up models meant physically building the thing and destroying it. You also never got proper debris.

DS9, when they moved to CG, was where you got some more realistic physics.
    Ships coming apart, floating debris etc. It also allowed for different destruction sequences.

The were crazy expensive though??

blowing up models meant physically building the thing and destroying it. You also never got proper debris.

DS9, when they moved to CG, was where you got some more realistic physics.
    Ships coming apart, floating debris etc. It also allowed for different destruction sequences.

It's the difference between ST:2 & Insurrection. If the models/production is done right, it's way better than CG. Sure maybe for a series CG is a more viable alternative, but for a feature if they want to do something big, then models are the way to go. Look at the Enterprise refit scenes in themotion picture, I still get goosebumps for that two or three minutes, is's stunningly beautiful. That cannot be achieved with CG, not with any depth anyway.

Advertisement