Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Norway squad announced

• 05-11-2010 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

Trap has named a provisional 27 man squad for the game in the Aviva, on November 17th.
    Shay Given

Keiren Westwood
    John O'Shea
    Seamus Coleman
    Richard Dunne
    Sean St. Ledger
    Greg Cunningham
    Kevin Foley
    Paul McShane
    Kevin Kilbane
    Stephen Kelly
    Darren O'Dea
    Marc Wilson
    Darron Gibson
    Glenn Whelan
    Paul Green
    Liam Lawrence
    Stephen Hunt
    Aiden McGeady
    Keith Treacy
    Damien Duff
    Keith Fahey
    Jonathan Walters
    Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle
    Caleb Folan
    Shane Long

Ciaran Clark is still awaiting international clearance so cant be included, and obviously James McCarthy is injured.

Link to FAI site here:
    Trap names provisional squad of 27 for Ireland v Norway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Given that squad I'd like to see a line-up similar to this:

Shay Given

Kevin Foley
    Richard Dunne
    Sean St. Ledger
    John O'Shea

Seamus Coleman
    Marc Wilson
    Keith Fahey
    Damien Duff

Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long

With Hunt, O'Dea and Cunningham all getting a decent run too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good to have Hunt back and I'm pleased Walters got called up. I'd like to see something like this:

Given

Foley - Dunne - St. Ledger - O'Shea

Coleman - Gibson - Whelan - Hunt

Walters - Keane

Real shame that McCarthy is injured as I was hoping he'd get a start for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Given

Foley - Dunne - St. Ledger - Cuningham

Coleman - Fahey - Wilson - Hunt

Long - Keane

and subs being used: Kelly, Treacy,Lawerence,O Dea, Walters and Westwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why is everyone picking Coleman in midfield?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

because he has been playing on the right of the midfield for Everton most of this season and he is better going forward than he is at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hes a decent fullback playing on the wing as Everton prefer a fullback with better aerial prowess. We would offer more of a threat with him as FB and a winger ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

No Stephen Ward again :( He will never get a cap at this rate!

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hes a decent fullback playing on the wing as Everton prefer a fullback with better aerial prowess. We would offer more of a threat with him as FB and a winger ahead of him.

He's not good enough to play as a full-back yet. He's good going forward but he can be hopelessly exposed defensively as he showed in Everton's Carling Cup game against Brentford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Would like to see how the following would work out:
                       Given

Foley/Coleman - Dunne - Sledge - Cunningham

O'Shea - Whelan

McGeady      -     Gibson     -       Duff

Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

What was trap giving out about at the press conference? Something about a players representative ringing to say they would switch allegiance to Ireland , but only if they would be guaranteed to be picked. Have I that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why is everyone picking Coleman in midfield?

Because he's the bale of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Anyone know if this Barry Maguire fella has declared for us? Thought I read somewhere he did after the Russia game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Would love to see Delap back in the Ireland setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I think Delap and maybe Folan could work well together? Paul Green just get out of that squad please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Anyone know if this Barry Maguire fella has declared for us? Thought I read somewhere he did after the Russia game.

According to the herald he has*, apparently there's a fair bit of paperwork involved so won't be available for the Norway game. He was invited over with his auld lad for the Russia game

*it was in the folk's house, I just thought I'd give it a glance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

frantic190 wrote: »
    No Stephen Ward again :( He will never get a cap at this rate!

Bordering on farcical at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I'm hoping Cunningham and Coleman start. Fahey deserves a chance in the middle to prove he can do a better job than Green. Long has to start after his last peformance.

Glad to see Folan back in the squad. The few times he has come on for us he was a threat and is perfect for our long ball tactic.

What happened to Leon Best? I know he's useless and all but I haven't even seen him on the bench for Newcastle this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    I'm hoping Cunningham and Coleman start. Fahey deserves a chance in the middle to prove he can do a better job than Green. Long has to start after his last peformance.

Glad to see Folan back in the squad. The few times he has come on for us he was a threat and is perfect for our long ball tactic.

What happened to Leon Best? I know he's useless and all but I haven't even seen him on the bench for Newcastle this season.

Best is injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Anthony stokes scored a hat trick today should be in This squad ahead of caleb folan anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Westwood

Coleman
    St Ledger
    Wilson
    Cunningham

Fahey
    Gibson
    Lawrence
    Walters
    Treacy

Keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Folan being picked ahead of Stokes is a disgrace. Our only in form striker can't get into the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Clark should defo have been in the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Clark should defo have been in the squad

Read the OP. Paperwork issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

flahavaj wrote: »
    Read the OP. Paperwork issues.

Sorry. I missed that. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Garland should be there too

Saw an interesting article on Trap's thoughts in the Irish Times. Talks about how he sees Coleman as a right-back rather than on the right flank and says some players with Irish backgrounds have been approached but the response wasn't as enthusiastic as he'd like. Worth a read:
    SOCCER: STOKE CITY striker Jonathan Walters is in the hunt to get his first senior cap when Norway come to town on Wednesday week, but manager Giovanni Trapattoni insisted yesterday he would start the game with a strong side as he looks to get Ireland winning again after the disappointment of the games against Russia and Slovakia.

Walters is, along with Séamus Coleman and Marc Wilson, one of just three uncapped players in a 27-man preliminary squad named yesterday by the Italian, who suggested he would be in a better position to talk about line ups and debuts after he sees which of his players feature this weekend for their clubs.

With the likes of Paul McShane, Caleb Folan and Darren O’Dea all carrying knocks, withdrawals are expected and Trapattoni said he had named more players than usual on the basis that some would not make it over for the game.

Definitely absent are some of the more prominent former England under-21 internationals who have been linked with a switch of allegiance. Mark Noble, Trapattoni confirmed, has not been approached, while the agents of unnamed others, the Italian suggested, had prevaricated when contacted, apparently seeking assurances their clients would play regularly for Ireland if they made themselves available.

“We asked the question (if the players wanted to play for Ireland) and it wasn’t like with Shane Duffy (the Derry-born Everton defender who was seriously injured in a training game at Malahide this summer) who immediately said: “Yes”. I cannot tell the others what the situation will be. I can only say: ‘Come!’ and then put what I think is the best team out on the pitch.”

Also out of the reckoning for the Norway game is Keith Andrews with the Blackburn Rovers midfielder having had an operation for the groin problem troubling him recently, while Andy Keogh, on loan at Cardiff from Wolves, has apparently been told to stay with his club on this occasion while the manager looks at other players.

Walters is one of those Trapattoni wants to see in action and he said yesterday he would also bring him in for the Nations Cup games in the spring.

With Folan injured again and looking as likely as anyone to withdraw over the coming days, the 27-year-old Stoke City player looks well placed to get some sort of run out and Trapattoni talked up his mix of physical strength and positive attitude yesterday.

He also spoke highly of Aston Villa’ Ciaran Clark, who he watched in action against Birmingham City recently, although he made it clear he felt the 21-year-old was not best suited to the central midfield role he had been handed that day.

“He’s a good defender, though, very attentive, although he needs to play more because he’s still very young.”

While Clark will have to wait for the paperwork to go through at Fifa’s headquarters before he gets to run out in a green jersey, Coleman may make his first senior appearance this month.

Trapattoni didn’t speculate on the Everton player’s chances of featuring on Wednesday week but he did make it clear that having watched him recently, he sees the Donegalman first and foremost as a right back.

“For his club, he plays in front of the defence, going forward but we need a defender.”

Expanding on how the 22-year-old might be accommodated in the team, he went on to make it clear John O’Shea could yet find himself back in the centre of the Ireland defence or on the left at some stage, although he made it clear he does not see the Waterfordman as a midfielder.

There was little mention of Keith Treacy, who took a break last month when he declined to join up with the squad for the Russia and Slovakia games on the basis he wasn’t fully fit, had threatened to seriously undermine his international prospects, although the Dubliner will surely be relieved to learn Trapattoni did say he wanted to have another look at the Preston winger.

Stephen Hunt’s return to fitness was warmly welcomed, however, with the veteran manager insisting again the player’s involvement against the Russians might have been a key factor in countering Ireland’s tactical disadvantage against a side that overran the Irish in midfield by deploying an extra man there.

After a year away through injury, Hunt may well go straight back into the team, for Trapattoni made clear his intention to start with a strong side against a Norwegian side that currently tops European Championship qualification Group H, ahead of Portugal and Denmark.

Securing a win in the game, he maintains, is “important for morale” after taking just one point from last month’s qualifiers, while he made clear once again, he will be obliged to play regulars like Shay Given and Robbie Keane who might otherwise have been rested because they are getting so little first-team football for their clubs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1106/1224282790725.html

I like that he's willing to explore moving O'Shea elsewhere in the defence which I think most fans want to see. I'm not sure Coelman at right-back is the way to go but it's a friendly so the experience couldn't hurt. I'd like to see Foley get a chance at some stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

I hope trap experiments a little. Hope cunningham get a start.

When ya think about it we ahve some good right and left sided midfielders.

Looking forward to think one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sydsad wrote: »
    I hope trap experiments a little. Hope cunningham get a start.

When ya think about it we ahve some good right and left sided midfielders.

Looking forward to think one :)

Trap doesn't experiment, it is my biggest annoyance with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Once Foley, Coleman and Fahy get a start I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Definitely absent are some of the more prominent former England under-21 internationals who have been linked with a switch of allegiance. Mark Noble, Trapattoni confirmed, has not been approached, while the agents of unnamed others, the Italian suggested, had prevaricated when contacted, apparently seeking assurances their clients would play regularly for Ireland if they made themselves available.

“We asked the question (if the players wanted to play for Ireland) and it wasn’t like with Shane Duffy (the Derry-born Everton defender who was seriously injured in a training game at Malahide this summer) who immediately said: “Yes”. I cannot tell the others what the situation will be. I can only say: ‘Come!’ and then put what I think is the best team out on the pitch.”

I still think that it was Mark Noble who was looking for a guarantee of regular starts. When asked about him directly Trap didnt want to shop him. The lads on Newstalk were pretty sure it was Noble.

It could only be a premiership player, and are there any others out there who it could be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I still think that it was Mark Noble who was looking for a guarantee of regular starts. When asked about him directly Trap didnt want to shop him. The lads on Newstalk were pretty sure it was Noble.

It could only be a premiership player, and are there any others out there who it could be?

To be fair i reckon Noble would walk into that team. Tell him hes guaranteed a start, play him once that way hes tied to us. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Is that the young Dutch midfielder?

Seen him a couple of times and he looks like a player.

Stokes has been left out again - playing great for Celtic at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Jamie O'Hara possibly? Had to be a premiership player anyway!

Re Barry Maguire: he was in the crowd for the Russia match. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Am I the only person who thinks its demeaning beyond belief that we are back to begging foreigners with tentative Irishness to play.

I'm not talking about the McGeady's or Kilbanes of the world who are Irishmen born abroad, but the likes of Morrison and Westwood.

I thought we moved beyond that with Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Am I the only person who thinks its demeaning beyond belief that we are back to begging foreigners with tentative Irishness to play.

I'm not talking about the McGeady's or Kilbanes of the world who are Irishmen born abroad, but the likes of Morrison and Westwood.

And we all saw how successful that was.

• Advertisement

And we all saw how successful that was.

No more or less successfull than Trapp. Don't get me wrong, he is the man for the job, but we should aspire to a team of Doyle's and Fahey's, home produced talent, than a team of Morrisons and Westwood's, Englishmen who realised they would never play for their countries and got Irish passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'm pretty fed up with Trapatoni tbh; he picks Paul Green and Paul McShane yet again. He's really hurting Irish football. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

No more or less successfull than Trapp. Don't get me wrong, he is the man for the job, but we should aspire to a team of Doyle's and Fahey's, home produced talent, than a team of Morrisons and Westwood's, Englishmen who realised they would never play for their countries and got Irish passports.

Home produced talent is all well and good. But in fairness just-below-par england players are probably a lot better than Irish grown talent that just isn't good enough (Green, McShane et al).

Doyle's and Fahey's I have no issue with, but their quality is hard to come by.

I seem to remember us getting to a World Cup 1/4 final with new Irish citizens.

Sure it would be great if we could field a team of 11 home grown Irish players with the quality we need, but that's a pipe dream.

Home produced talent is all well and good. But in fairness just-below-par england players are probably a lot better than Irish grown talent that just isn't good enough (Green, McShane et al).

Doyle's and Fahey's I have no issue with, but their quality is hard to come by.

I seem to remember us getting to a World Cup 1/4 final with new Irish citizens.

Sure it would be great if we could field a team of 11 home grown Irish players with the quality we need, but that's a pipe dream.

Under Charlton we did it because it was a necessity. We didn't have the structures and were losing kids to bogball.

Now we have the structures, football is well established as the most popular game in Ireland and I find it very hard to believe Caleb Folan is a better player than Anthony Stokes...

Off the top of my head, players in or near the current Irish squad that were developed in the LoI are Doyle, Fahey, Long, N Hunt, Murphy, Hoolihan, Ward, Stokes, Delaney, Meyler, Deegan, Mooney. And McCourt and McGinn for the north.

Are these mercenaries better prospects for Ireland than the above list? I doubt it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Under Charlton we did it because it was a necessity. We didn't have the structures and were losing kids to bogball.

Now we have the structures, football is well established as the most popular game in Ireland and I find it very hard to believe Caleb Folan is a better player than Anthony Stokes...

Off the top of my head, players in or near the current Irish squad that were developed in the LoI are Doyle, Fahey, Long, N Hunt, Murphy, Hoolihan, Ward, Stokes, Delaney, Meyler, Deegan, Mooney. And McCourt and McGinn for the north.

Are these mercenaries better prospects for Ireland than the above list? I doubt it myself.

Honestly, I dont think you could saythat a Meyler/Hoolihan axis would be better then a Noble/O'Hara axis in midfield. Is Paul McShane better then Ciaran Clark ? Noel Hunt is not international standard, simples. I would prefer the option of a tall and robust forward in Caleb Folan's mould to Hunt any day. I would conceed that Doyle, Fahey, Long, Ward and Stokes should be around the team. However, I would prefer to see Ireland doing well by whatever means possible. The ancillary benefits of the national soccer team performing are well documented. Proffering the anti "Plastic Paddy" mentality, and getting your way would be dentremental.

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote: »
    Honestly, I dont think you could saythat a Meyler/Hoolihan axis would be better then a Noble/O'Hara axis in midfield. Is Paul McShane better then Ciaran Clark ? Noel Hunt is not international standard, simples. I would prefer the option of a tall and robust forward in Caleb Folan's mould to Hunt any day. I would conceed that Doyle, Fahey, Long, Ward and Stokes should be around the team. However, I would prefer to see Ireland doing well by whatever means possible. The ancillary benefits of the national soccer team performing are well documented. Proffering the anti "Plastic Paddy" mentality, and getting your way would be dentremental.

I am saying that neither Noble or O'Hara want to play for Ireland with the passion required. They are both English, both have played for England up till U21 and would be playing for Ireland to improve and prolong their club careers.

We don't need these chancers anymore.

There is a trade off between finding talent wherever you can and the disrpuptive aspect of blowins who don't really want to be there. At least McGeady, McCarthy and Kilbane are self defined Irishmen. Mark Noble isn't.

And Caleb Folan is a pudding regardless. If he is an international footballer, so am I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Anthony stokes scored a hat trick today should be in This squad ahead of caleb folan anyway

I can only assume Trappatoni simply doesn't watch Scottish football at all (and let's be honest, he doesn't seem to watch a whole lot of English football either). He's probably forgotten who Anthony Stokes even is. We know the SPL is not of the same standard as the Prem Lge but still, a player who is banging in goals at Celtic and is full of confidence is surely worthy of a callup ahead of a mediocre player like Folan.

As for Green and McShane still being there, I really don't understand it. Green was exposed in the last couple of games for what he is, an average championship player. Anyone who thinks otherwise just watch a rerun of those last couple of qualifiers and count how many times he gave the ball away. Giving the ball away against Scunthorpe and Doncaster is all well and good but when the opposition is full of quality international players it's suicidal.

I am saying that neither Noble or O'Hara want to play for Ireland with the passion required. They are both English, both have played for England up till U21 and would be playing for Ireland to improve and prolong their club careers.

We don't need these chancers anymore.

There is a trade off between finding talent wherever you can and the disrpuptive aspect of blowins who don't really want to be there. At least McGeady, McCarthy and Kilbane are self defined Irishmen. Mark Noble isn't.

And Caleb Folan is a pudding regardless. If he is an international footballer, so am I.

And you base this alleged lack of passion on the part of Noble and O Hara on what ? Look at it this way, Andy Townsend gave the best part of 13 years to the Irish cause. John Aldridge was a key goalscorer for the Irish between 1989-1995, including keeping Ireland's Euro 96' qualification chances alive. Ray Houghton remains a national hero. I dont think you can level a baseless allegation of "lack of passion" without seeing these players play first.

I would also point you to the fact that homegrown lads like John O Shea have looked passionless for years. I would ask you to point to five positive occasions on which he has contributed for the Irish cause ? What about Stephen Ireland, who was so embroiled in passion that he walked away from the setup three years ago, and has not returned ?

Further, passion isnt everything. Players like Paul McShane and Glenn Whelan can be as passionate as they like, but nothing will mitigate for their relatively limited talents.

Your prejudice is not derived from an footballing wisdom. It is simply derived from a jingoistic sentiment, which will hold soccer back in this county.

And you base this alleged lack of passion on the part of Noble and O Hara on what ? Look at it this way, Andy Townsend gave the best part of 13 years to the Irish cause. John Aldridge was a key goalscorer for the Irish between 1989-1995, including keeping Ireland's Euro 96' qualification chances alive. Ray Houghton remains a national hero. I dont think you can level a baseless allegation of "lack of passion" without seeing these players play first..

For every Aldridge there is a Butler who picked Ireland over Wales because "the nightlife is better in Dublin" or a Westwood "I'm not Irish but I'm a Catholic"
    I would also point you to the fact that homegrown lads like John O Shea have looked passionless for years. I would ask you to point to five positive occasions on which he has contributed for the Irish cause ? What about Stephen Ireland, who was so embroiled in passion that he walked away from the setup three years ago, and has not returned ?.

How has me saying we should try and produce home grown talent turned into me defending that horrible git?
    Further, passion isnt everything. Players like Paul McShane and Glenn Whelan can be as passionate as they like, but nothing will mitigate for their relatively limited talents..

I agree with you on both of them. I cannot understand why Trapp has stuck with them both. But its nothing to do with my core point.
    Your prejudice is not derived from an footballing wisdom. It is simply derived from a jingoistic sentiment, which will hold soccer back in this county.

Jingoisim? In relation to international football? Get away.

For every Aldridge there is a Butler who picked Ireland over Wales because "the nightlife is better in Dublin" or a Westwood "I'm not Irish but I'm a Catholic"

How has me saying we should try and produce home grown talent turned into me defending that horrible git?

I agree with you on both of them. I cannot understand why Trapp has stuck with them both. But its nothing to do with my core point.

Jingoisim? In relation to international football? Get away.

Which Butler are you referring to, Paul or Thomas (who was born in Dublin) ? Either way, neither made any mark at international level, and have accrued less then an hour of international football between them. On the other hand, Alan McGloughlin scored a crucial goal to send Ireland to USA '94, Jason McAteer grabbed a crucial goal against the Dutch in qualification for Korea/Japan 2002, and Gary Breen got the all important second goal against Saudi Arabia at the tournament. This fails to mention Ray Houghton's two unforgettable goals against England, and Italy, and John Aldridge's consolation goal against the Mexicans which was the difference between Ireland staying in and going out of USA 94. Finally, it would be remiss of me not to remind you that several so called "Plastic Paddies" took spot-kicks when required against Romania in 1990.

The number of Englishmen (by birth), who have donned the Irish jersey and excelled, far outweighs the number of Brannigan/Owen Coyle/Paul Butler/Jon Macken style blow-ins who played a few friendly matches, which were of little or no-consequence before being consigned to the dustbin of history. As such, you are not comparign like with like when you seek to use the likes of Kieran Westwood as examples of the negative side of Irish Footballing blowins.

I use John O Shea and Stephen Ireland as examples of Irish players, who display no passion in spite of their heritage. I use them as contrast to the likes of Andy Townsend who contributed greatly to Irish success, and never walked away, or simply go through the motions during games. I believe you are trying to cop-out of this debate by side-stepping the issue that passion will only exist in those who are Irish born and bred.

But what is your core point ? That it is demeaning to use English Players ? The fact is the FAI and domestic association football is in a shambles. The association is an impoverished, incompetent association. The national league is a joke, which doesnt reflect the fact that our national team has punched well above its weight for nearly 25 years. How can we produce good domestic players ? The infrastructure isnt there. As a result, we must use English structures to develop our players, and we must look to those with an Irish heritage to bolster our chances. Most internation team employ the use of "non-nationals". While I admit that it is sad that our assocation is not capable of developing a system which will provide the entire international set-up, I have got used to it and I dont rebuke those who wish to don the Green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I do think that it's better to have players with national pride playing for the team but if we got someone like Nolan tomorrow I don't know if I would stick by that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Walters has been useless for Stoke in nearly every match so far, not that I suspect Trap has been watching his club performances. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Morrison played decent for us, and has made himself available since last playing, which, seeing as he isnt a spring chicken any more, is hardly necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

not that I suspect Trap has been watching his club performances. :rolleyes:

Tardelli is based in England and he checks out on the club performances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Two things.

Jamie O'Hara is not capable of playing at anything less than 100%. If he turns out for Ireland, he will play with as much heart as every other player on the pitch (ok, that may not be a good thing).

Liam Lawrence is in very very good form at the moment. I think he is probably the most influential player in the Championship right now. Maybe not the best, but the player who is capable of influencing a game the most. Trap needs to start him on the right to keep his run going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement