Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Norway squad announced

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A lot of people in Ireland still can't get their head around the fact that it's possible to be born in one country to descendants of another and have an affinity for both countries.

We'll lose our inferiority complex someday I'm sure, but I despair for how long it seems to be taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

keane2097 wrote: »
    A lot of people in Ireland still can't get their head around the fact that it's possible to be born in one country to descendants of another and have an affinity for both countries.

We'll lose our inferiority complex someday I'm sure, but I despair for how long it seems to be taking.

Gav Shels thanked the post I quoted.

The likes of his crowd wont support anyone in the Ireland squad who isnt a shout above Sunday League level from Fairview, no matter how sh1te. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

keane2097 wrote: »

I have very clearly made a distinction between diaspora and chancers. I welcome the likes of McGeady, McCarthy and Kilbane who were brought up Irish abroad. I don't welcome the likes of Westwood who had no idea he was eligible until the media told him.

And how is preferring home produced players an 'inferiority complex'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

So, anybody going to the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Keane , Folan and McShane all out of the game . Ciaran Clark called up . Stokes should be called up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Keane , Folan and McShane all out of the game . Ciaran Clark called up . Stokes should be called up now

I think Trapp will call up someone else just to annoy this forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I have very clearly made a distinction between diaspora and chancers. I welcome the likes of McGeady, McCarthy and Kilbane who were brought up Irish abroad. I don't welcome the likes of Westwood who had no idea he was eligible until the media told him.

And how is preferring home produced players an 'inferiority complex'?

I would like to canvass your opinion on Ray Houghton. Houghton once mentioned that his dream was to score the winning goal for Scotland against Englan. If memory serves me correctly, he stated this in the wake of his winning goal in the Ireland v England game at Euro 88. So, on the basis of his statement, would you prefer if Ireland had never had Ray Houghton ? Westwood made similar comments. However, he is a player who is of inferior importance to Ray Houghton, and is likely to be a footnote in the annals of Irish footballing history. Thus, it is easier to make an example of Westwood, and use him as a stick to beat people like me with.

With due respect, it is either jingoism or an "inferiority complex" which leads you to post in this manner. You have offered no facts as to why the likes of O Hara, and Noble should not be considered for Ireland, or why it would be disadvantageous for Ireland to pick these players. The fact you have not rebutted my statements about your belief on the "passion" required would suggest that you have conceeded the point that you are wrong on the issue of passion. As such, I would like to see you to provide me with some factual reason for why Ireland shouldnt consider the descendents of Irish folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Clark won't be making his debut anyway, hes pulled out with Dunne and Kilbane.

From BBC:
    Richard Dunne, Ciaran Clark and Kevin Kilbane have all withdrawn from the Republic of Ireland squad for the home friendly against Norway on Wednesday.
    Aston Villa defender Dunne has a knee injury, while his club team-mate Clark has pulled out with a calf problem.
    Hull midfielder Kilbane sits out because of a back injury.
    They join Robbie Keane, Caleb Folan and Paul McShane on the list of absentees, although manager Giovanni Trapattoni does not intend to bring in new faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Seamus Ramos has to be given a turn after yesterdays performance he was fantastic at right mid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Seamus Ramos has to be given a turn after yesterdays performance he was fantastic at right mid.

Have to say I was going to post to state the same. Thought he put in another super performance yesterday. Smashing talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Het-Field wrote: »
    I would like to canvass your opinion on Ray Houghton. Houghton once mentioned that his dream was to score the winning goal for Scotland against Englan. If memory serves me correctly, he stated this in the wake of his winning goal in the Ireland v England game at Euro 88. So, on the basis of his statement, would you prefer if Ireland had never had Ray Houghton ?

I would prefer if Ireland never NEEDED Ray Houghton. But he is a good Celtic man from Glasgow and at least was aware and proud of his lineage. The players I am talking about are not. Thats the difference and well you know it.
    Westwood made similar comments. However, he is a player who is of inferior importance to Ray Houghton, and is likely to be a footnote in the annals of Irish footballing history. Thus, it is easier to make an example of Westwood, and use him as a stick to beat people like me with.

I'm using Westwood as an example because he is a good example. Here we have an Englishman who was completely unaware he was eligible for Ireland until the FAI approached him, and lets be real here, isn't Irish in any meaningful sense. But more relevent, he isn't adding anything to the squad Brian Murphy isn't. So as above, we don't NEED him.
    With due respect, it is either jingoism or an "inferiority complex" which leads you to post in this manner. .

How is an inferiority complex to prefer the Irish side be made up of Irish players born here, raised here, developed here? Thats what we should aspire to, not hiring researchers to go through the family tree of mid tear English pro's without their knowledge.
    You have offered no facts as to why the likes of O Hara, and Noble should not be considered for Ireland, or why it would be disadvantageous for Ireland to pick these players. The fact you have not rebutted my statements about your belief on the "passion" required would suggest that you have conceeded the point that you are wrong on the issue of passion. As such, I would like to see you to provide me with some factual reason for why Ireland shouldnt consider the descendents of Irish folk.

What 'facts'? I am clearly offering an opinion.

I don't think random Brit A who happens to be eligible to a passport should be picked ahead of Irish born player B unless they are so far ahead in terms of ability it is a necessary evil. Thats how it was under Charlton. But thats NOT the case anymore and I find the excercise to now be an uneccesary evil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Coleman must play !

Advertisement