Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff my classmates like/I'm not so keen on

Options
  • 05-11-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭

I love talking to patients. I enjoy things like managing to draw blood from a less prominent vein. I really like going on ward rounds with whichever team I happen to be attached to. I adore understanding the theory of an illness and then seeing a patient with that illness recover. I like being in theatre and seeing a problem fixed very directly.

On the other hand, I recognise the necessity of lectures and tutorials. I don't dislike them. I think biochemical pathways are fine things, but I have no overwhelming urge to enthuse about them. Lab work is something that, for me, needs to be done.

It seems to be the other way around with a large number of my class. Really, what I'm wondering about is whether or not I'm in a minority.

I study as much an anyone and have no difficulty with the biology. I don't find it boring. I just enjoy other parts of med a lot more.

Also, does anyone else like/dislike anything that seems to be more unusual in their circles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

It's not a strictly medical thing but in my initial degree I loved loved loved Bubbleology. (yes that's what it called :D) It's about the effects of bubbles on the viscosity and temperatures of liquids and other fluidic substances, very maths heavy and could be a bit abstract at times. Most in the class hated it, and liked the Industrial Biotech more, while to me that was something that just had to be tolerated to get to the end. We were supposed to have an extension module into how it would apply to biological systems but not enough were interested so it never went ahead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

To me it sounds like you'll make a good doc, a people person and a problem solver - not a book worm - sure we've enough of them! :)

Advertisement