Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fido.ie?

• 05-11-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

So my wife was out walking our dog today and was followed for ages by a stray yorkie. She ended up bringing him home and then to the vets to check if he's microchipped. He is, but the vet just gave us the microchip number, and two website addresses - www.europetnet.com and www.fido.ie.

I've tried searching on europetnet and nothing was found, and I can't find any way of searching for a microchip number on Fido.ie - seems to only be open to registered / approved organisations? What's the point of that? And if that's the case, how come the vet's weren't able to use it?

Anyone have any ideas. Chip number is 0000000134816805.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi there,

The Vet really should have checked the details or at least have gotten someone else to check it. If you have the chip no. you could try ringing another Vets office or an animal shelter and see if they can check it for you. There are also a no. of rescues who post on here who may be able to check it for you? Perhaps someone could PM you about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

You could try ringing pet trace 087 908 5422 it says on their website they work closely with fido and europetnet so they might be able to check fido for you - good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am astonished that a Vet would give you the chip number. They should of phoned through & got the details.
    It's not showing on europetnet so it's probably a fido chip. Fido will only release details to Vet or registered rescue/shelter.

If you do not get any earlier offers I will phone my Vet tomorrow morning & PM you here.

Or you can PM a mobile number & I can call/text you tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thats crazy, you will have to contact another vet. What area/county are you in?

Well done on taking the poor thing in. Yorkies are too small to be outside all the time. I have two and would hate to think of them out on their own.

You could try ringing pet trace 087 908 5422 it says on their website they work closely with fido and europetnet so they might be able to check fido for you - good luck!

I would expect that they would only give out owner details to a Vet or Rescue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Hi der i agree with Deeanimallover i rescued a dog from the pound she was microchipped but not registered the vet checked with fido.ie and traced her back to the breeder...this was with the help of pet trace who were able to find out when my dog was born etc...you should try and ring them if you cant get thru leave a voicemail they will get back to you...Good luck:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

thanks for the suggestions all. We've tried PetTrace and they were unable to find anything on their systems.

I'm wondering now if we've got an incorrect number. The EuroPetNet site mentioned something about the length of chip numbers being either 15, 10 or 12, and the one we have is 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would bring the dog to another vets and explain its a stray and you are trying to locate the owner. They should be able to trace the owner from the chip number which the other vet should have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Just wondering if putting in one less "0" might work. My cats microchip has a lot of 0s too,its hard to count alot of the same number all in a row.Its 15 numbers long with PetTrace.

Fair Play for going to all this effort OP, alot of people wouldnt ;)

My Vet will check it tomorrow morning when she opens but that supposes that the number is correct. I would be very angry with the Vet who scanned this dog. Their incompetence has meant that there may be an owner out there tearing their hair out.

If you want I will ask my Vet to check it tomorrow, they open at 10am, & PM you an answer. If the chip number is wrong then you will have to go back to a Vet for another scan.

It was bad timing. Had you of posted 10 mins earlier I could of caught her before she left the surgery.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot Discodog, would appreciate that. Maybe ask you vet to try the number as is and then if nothing, drop one of the zeros. Thanks again.

Just looking at my own dogs, one fido begins 9680000 & then 7 more digits so 15 in all. The second fido begins 958000000 then 6 more so 15 again.

I hope that you didn't go to your own Vet, if so I would send them a bill for once !. It's bad enough not doing the trace & even worse if they have read the number wrong.

The big problem is that there have been several chip companies. My oldest dog has an Ani-mark chip.

Where did you find the dog OP - in case the chip company ask ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I've checked with Fido, and that number isn't registered with them. I've never seen a number that starts with 0 though, so I think they may have written the number down wrong.

OP it really looks like that you will have to go to a Vet for a rescan & I wouldn't use the same Vet !. All my Vet could do is the same as ISDW.

Discodog wrote: »
    begins 958000000 then 6 more so 15 again.
    Mines ,958 five 0s then 7 numbers.Discodog are ye sure you have six 0s yeh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

this number sounds like it could be the reg group i think there called cainine ireland, based in carlow. just i found a stray maybe a yr ago and had probs finding the chip number and someone said to try them. i did and it was. i will try and find their no. for you.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Mines ,958 five 0s then 7 numbers.Discodog are ye sure you have six 0s yeh?

Yes, well that's what is says on the Cert. Now you have me worried :eek:.
    I might get my Vet to read the chip & check that it is the same as the one that's registered.

Discodog wrote: »
    Yes, well that's what is says on the Cert. Now you have me worried :eek:.
    I might get my Vet to read the chip & check that it is the same as the one that's registered.
    Im goin to check mine too on Monday, because im the second owner (original owner got him from the dspca and chipped) and when i rang PetTrace and quoted the chip number it was ridiculously easy to change all details just by quoting the number. Hmmmm...

Dog was found in Arklow, so not a million miles away from Carlow, guess it could be something to do with the Canine Ireland crowd. Will bring it to another vet this morning for a rescan.

It's maddening that something that should be simple & reassuring is such a mess. Well done OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Liam Mc Keogh

Just came across this as I was looking for info on registering our dog. What was the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Irish Vets - Only in it for the Money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ah: wouldn't agree but this trip to the V's was certainly far from satisfactory . Maybe they were mad busy or have dreadful handwriting or the aide taking the number down had same probs.
    Either way well done everyone ; especially OP: I'm so impressed with all the work to find the yorkies way home. I'd love to think strangers would care so much if my dog was lost.
    I would be distraught looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Liam Mc Keogh

Well said Just a Thought. I thought it was great the effort that was put in trying to locate the owner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bit of a sweeping statement, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Up early & came here for my early morning dose of happiness... Is there any update or have you a yorkie now for the weekend to humour & amuse!?

And THEN I looked back at the dates to see how many days it's been lost ... The OP was two years ago!!!! Looks like this yorkie has long since found a happy home!!!Many years ago!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just came across this as I was looking for info on registering our dog. What was the outcome.

Perhaps if the OP comes back they can PM you, I'm not sure how this would affect you registering your dog though in any case. It's considered bad form to bump up old threads because people don't always realise it's old.

Locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement