Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

climbing Mount Brandon in winter..........?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I'm visiting Dingle with friends for new year's this year and was thinking of climbing Mt Brandon.

I'm just wondering now would anyone know whether late December is still an alright time of year to do it.
    I'm aware that summertime makes more sense, - more hours of light, and nicer weather. but I'm not going to kerry because I wanted to do the climb, ....I'm just looking to climb something while I happen to be in Kerry for the session, and I've done carrantuohill already.

so, as long as it's not absoutely lashing the last week of december, and we get a reasonably early start, ...do people reckon it would be a grand day out or not?

any other helpful tips or info on non-boozing related fun activities near dingle that time of year is also much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

hiking in the winter can be much nicer than the summer. if its not raining, a lovely crisp cold day is fantastic :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

+1

Hot muggy weather in the summer is the wrst thing for walking in. No midges in winter either!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

good to hear, thanks.

climbed carrantuohill on a nice clear day last year and it was fairly easy. just went up in jeans and crappy runners, but would've been way slippy and tougher if it rained - particularly devil's ladder

if anyone has any tips for Mt Brandon or other fun activities to do in dingle late december then I'd love to hear them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

If you have experience then id do it. But be warned there have been a rake of people especially around christmas who get stranded up there.

As for the climb itself, id definitely recommend it. Beautiful views from up top!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

good to hear, thanks.

climbed carrantuohill on a nice clear day last year and it was fairly easy. just went up in jeans and crappy runners, but would've been way slippy and tougher if it rained - particularly devil's ladder

if anyone has any tips for Mt Brandon or other fun activities to do in dingle late december then I'd love to hear them

It possible to climb mountains in flip flops never mind crappy runners. But you need to be aware that mountains can be harsh isolated environments especially in winter. Have the right equipment with you as rescues are often required because of poorly prepared people.

• Advertisement

I know.

the rescue helicopter was called out twice the day we climbed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

You should be fine, with the right weather forecast and good visibility. If it does close in up there though, without the right skills, you will be in trouble so keep an eye on the cloud cover! Best to start early, in the darkness even, to ensure you're down in plenty of time.

There's a great indoor climbing wall and sea kayaking in Dingle also.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Climbed it on the 5th of Jan 2009 and ice axe and crampons were necessary... be prepared :D

adagio wrote: »
    Climbed it on the 5th of Jan 2009 and ice axe and crampons were necessary... be prepared :D

will do.

and cheers for the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I know.

the rescue helicopter was called out twice the day we climbed it.

Agree with Sarsfield there - don't forget that while the lads in the heli are being paid for their time, the volunteers with the mountain rescue teams aren't, and a callout could have 20 to 30 of them heading out from their fireside or cosy bed... So for winter mountain walking, the following are essential: a map and compass, a torch, a good pair of boots, good waterproofs, warm clothes and hat/gloves. No jeans, no runners... Not specifically aimed at you TediousB - more of a general point. Enjoy Brandon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 macd

For Brandon.. you can either take the challenging hike from Cloghan /Faha on the east side (trail well defined but involving steep climbs) or the easier option of taking the pilgrim path up from An Bally Bhreac ( south end). This route is well defined,marked and well used.

worth checking out Kerry Mountain Rescue for tips and safety advice for hiking in the Kerry mountains.

and another question.........
    the few of us who'll be climbing might be down without a car before the rest of the gang. So I'm wondering; is there any bus that would go from dingle to any stops that are walkable from points that Brandon can be climbed from?

very specific question I know. I'll research this myself anyway, but just thought I'd ask here in case anyone knows off the top of their head...?

I don't think so, but you could try noel@irishadventures.net who will know about the bus situation, or if not give you the number of a local taxi.

I don't think so, but you could try noel@irishadventures.net who will know about the bus situation, or if not give you the number of a local taxi.

thanks.

don't suppose you might have some idea how many hours we should allow for the round trip at this time of year given the recent weather conditions?

What's your route plan?

What's your route plan?

we may just opt for the least difficult route given the weather. I'm going to research the different options now this week though, so if there are other routes anyone might recommend (considering we are fit young men but not professional climbers) that would save some hours or offer better scenery than common tourist tracks, then I'd like to hear suggestions.

Up the tourist route from the grotto about 2 to 2.5 hours and about 1.5 hours descending. It's a pretty decent route...

Up the tourist route from the grotto about 2 to 2.5 hours and about 1.5 hours descending. It's a pretty decent route...

great, thanks.

can you tell me are those times accounting for winter weather please?

Well if there's snow/ice underfoot and people don't have the right gear, like crampons or axes, it could turn into a nightmarish, scary ten hour day. I can't really answer that

Well if there's snow/ice underfoot and people don't have the right gear, like crampons or axes, it could turn into a nightmarish, scary ten hour day. I can't really answer that

we won't attempt it without the right gear if it's icy.

thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement