Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trimming down handle bars

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

iamstop wrote: »
    The defaults are way too wide, the couriers cut them too short.
    I think I'm gonna trim mine down by 1.5" each side. About right?

Sounds a lot to me but I'd just move in the controls by 1.5@ and ride with it for a few days before cutting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

not all couriers, just the hipsters!

where do you normally grab the bars? theres no rule, just go with whats comfortable. mine are cut down a bit so I dont hit wing mirrors but they dont look silly, Ive plenty of room for bike computer,lights and brake lever with full grips at the ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

chopped+bars.jpg

Do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I think I'm gonna trim mine down by 1.5" each side. About right?

That would depend on how long they are to begin with. 3" is a lot to take off in one go. You could start with 1/2" either side and work from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Sounds a lot to me but I'd just move in the controls by 1.5@ and ride with it for a few days before cutting...

I agree.

@iamstop, Also bear in mind that if you choose to put on bar ends at some point then these will effectively narrow the bars for you by the width of the bar ends so you might find that you don't need to cut the bars at all (or that the bars are now too narrow if you've already cut them by then).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Cheers lads and ladies for all the replies. I went with 1.5" off both ends, this left me with 22" across total.
    I think it's what I was going for. Dont think I'll be getting bar ends but if I do there are the type that fit into the crossbar and actually stick out further so I think I'm ok there.
    I guess the real test will be on Monday when I'm ducking through traffic on my way to town. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cheers lads and ladies for all the replies. I went with 1.5" off both ends, this left me with 22" across total.
    I think it's what I was going for. Dont think I'll be getting bar ends but if I do there are the type that fit into the crossbar and actually stick out further so I think I'm ok there.
    I guess the real test will be on Monday when I'm ducking through traffic on my way to town. ;-)

22" is 55cm. Most roadies would have bar width between 40-46cm depending on shoulder width.

Advertisement