Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping kids @ the school Gate....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

At the end of the day, if the parent decides to leave a 4/5 year old child at the school gate 30 Min's before school opens, on their own head be it. I won't take the risk that my child might leave school grounds and get hit by a car, i won't take th risk that my child might be abducted (very slim chance but the right place at the wrong time can have dire consequences)

If a parent decides its worth the risk then SO BE IT. My kids are my priority no one else's, so i choose to stay with them until school opens and there is proper supervision.

My elder lady went to a different school and they start at 8.45 and in j/s infants we had to take them to class and leave them with the teacher, if we were early we were to stay in class till teacher came, they were not to be left outside at all. this was center of town school with over 750 students. My boys go to a country school with 300+ students.

To sum up:

Each to their own and on their own head be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

thebullkf had been banned for failing to follow mod instruction and not following the proceedures of pming mods if they have an issue with mod actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've noticed the differences in this in our little fella's school. I leave him at the gate, watch him walk down the school entrance and go to work whereas quite a few of the other parents insist on bringing the kids right into their lines. We did the same for the first couple of weeks but as he's used to it now, I'd see it as smothering and over-protecting to keep doing it beyond the first week or two tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

OMG I WALKED to school ALONE, the whole 200 yards from when I was in 1st class..
    I feel so hard done by now... All I needed was my mammy to walk me there and back every day and hold my hand until I got through the classroom door..If only she hadn't let me down, I would be a much better emotionally developed individual today...
    MAybe this is the root of societys problems....Mammies, walk your kids into class each day and do something for the youth of Ireland!

Sleepy wrote: »
    I've noticed the differences in this in our little fella's school. I leave him at the gate, watch him walk down the school entrance and go to work whereas quite a few of the other parents insist on bringing the kids right into their lines. We did the same for the first couple of weeks but as he's used to it now, I'd see it as smothering and over-protecting to keep doing it beyond the first week or two tbh.

Tbh i dont see it as being over protective, watching over my 5 year old son for 20 mins while he is playing with his friends in the school yard. I see it as a caring, considerate parent.

If he was to run out on to the road and get hit by a car it would be my fault not the schools, he is my responsibility until school starts.

Sure if its ok to leave him at school unsupervised for 20 mins, why cant i leave him at home for 20 mins unsupervised? I think that's referred to as neglect!

I was in the school yard the other day 15 mins before school opened, and a girl in s/infants fell and screamed the place down, this went on for 2 mins and i approached her but it took another 2 mins for a teacher to come, lucky it was only grazed knees and hands.
    I walked to school alone (2+miles) from the age of 9.

• Advertisement

BengaLover wrote: »
    OMG I WALKED to school ALONE, the whole 200 yards from when I was in 1st class..
    I feel so hard done by now... All I needed was my mammy to walk me there and back every day and hold my hand until I got through the classroom door..If only she hadn't let me down, I would be a much better emotionally developed individual today...
    MAybe this is the root of societys problems....Mammies, walk your kids into class each day and do something for the youth of Ireland!

Does it have to be the Mammies? Could the Daddies not do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

First of all the Irish word for line is 'líne', it is pronounced leeeennnaaaa.

Secondly, each to their own. I personally (with the wife) have decided to be there all the time for our kids. We have both alternated our work so as we can be there all the time.

Thirdly, either one or both of us drop our 4 yr old girl to play school. We wait til it opens at 9am then head home or to the shop. What makes me laugh is the parents, (mostly women), pushing their kids into the Playschool so they can bail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

branners69 wrote: »
    Thirdly, either one or both of us drop our 4 yr old girl to play school. We wait til it opens at 9am then head home or to the shop. What makes me laugh is the parents, (mostly women), pushing their kids into the Playschool so they can bail!

well tbh, regardless of their gender some parents are very busy and organise what needs doing that day, whether it be work or household chores, around their children being in playschool so they would need to 'bail' straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BengaLover wrote: »
    OMG I WALKED to school ALONE, the whole 200 yards from when I was in 1st class.....!

Nice to know. But the thread is about infant class'es.

Since you specifically say you did it from first, it suggests you didn't do it before then either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

CK2010 wrote: »
    .....household chores....

I can semi excuse work, but household chores??? What is the time bomb with chores?? Very feeble excuse!!! Maybe in Cork things are different?

And can we have less of what we did as children, the world has changed! Not for the worse but what happened in the past stays in the past. We are deciding what is suitable for our kids in 2010+, and I have seen kids being left in the school yard at 7.30am with a McDonalds breakfast meal even though the school doesnt open until 8.45am!!!! Shame on the parents!!!! :(

• Advertisement

I can semi excuse work, but household chores??? What is the time bomb with chores?? Very feeble excuse!!! Maybe in Cork things are different?

maybe parents would rather do what needs doing while their kids are at playschool so they can enjoy their time with them when they're at home.

anyway i didnt necessarily mean just cleaning the house- theres grocery shopping, bank trips, things you cant do when you have your kids with you or things that are easier without them.

things need to be done and some things are done alot easier when kids are in playschool. most parents i know would use that time wisely.

theres also the issue of different family types, you never know what those parents have to rush back to at home. maybe older children that need to be brought to school, the list is endless really. as long as the kids are safe i dont see the harm in rushing off after their safely in the care of someone else.

i know i always had to rush my one into creche so i could get to lectures in time.

and I have seen kids being left in the school yard at 7.30am with a McDonalds breakfast meal even though the school doesnt open until 8.45am!!!! Shame on the parents!!!! :(

Did you report this to the school or anyone else?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Did you report this to the school or anyone else?

could the school do anything though? im not saying they cant or arguing, im genuinely and simply asking could they do anything if it was reported?
    like would they be able to say parents cant as its their property and they wont allow it or...?

We had a few parents dropping kids too early and the school send home notes detailing the time the children were expected at the school and any child who was there outside the gates earlier would have phone calls made looking for the parents and if it persisted
    they would be reported for neglect.

The children are only insured on school property between certain hours and when supervised, if the children are there outside of those hours then it is an issue for the school on several levels.

yeh i would have thought it was an issue re insurance but then on the other hand if parents want to leave their kids unattended then its upon their head, like they'd do it elsewhere without issues if you get me, so was just curious.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I wouldn't leave my children in an unsupervised school yard. I would have no probs leave my children in a supervised play yard - it's the same situation as them playing there at break times. In our school the parents are only allowed to walk the children to the door o the first day - after that they are left at the gate. Mind you the school yard is just inside the gate and the school don't like the parents hanging around - sometimes I do just to chat with some other parents and to make sure my daugther in Juniors is mixing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Just thought of this thread, we received a letter yest from school asking parents to stop dropping kids to school before 8.40 as there are no adults present and no insurance for them to be on school grounds before this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tbh i dont see it as being over protective, watching over my 5 year old son for 20 mins while he is playing with his friends in the school yard. I see it as a caring, considerate parent.

If he was to run out on to the road and get hit by a car it would be my fault not the schools, he is my responsibility until school starts.

Sure if its ok to leave him at school unsupervised for 20 mins, why cant i leave him at home for 20 mins unsupervised? I think that's referred to as neglect!

I was in the school yard the other day 15 mins before school opened, and a girl in s/infants fell and screamed the place down, this went on for 2 mins and i approached her but it took another 2 mins for a teacher to come, lucky it was only grazed knees and hands.
    I walked to school alone (2+miles) from the age of 9.
    I'm not talking about leaving him there 20 minutes before school starts. School starts for our fella at 8:15 so unless we're late he gets dropped off at the gate at 8:10 and walks himself in from there.

Even if I were to drop him there at 8, the layout of the school means that the areas where the children play are nowhere near the road.

To me, the 5 minutes he's there alone is a chance for him to learn independence and that he doesn't need to be hanging out of mammy's apron strings, something which is a fairly major problem for many fully grown Irish men if my female friends are to be believed ;)

Dropping him to school 20 minutes early at his age (5) wouldn't be something I'd agree with. In a few years time and if there was some form of monitoring i.e. a teacher or two like at yard time) in place, sure. At the moment however, hanging around for the 5 minutes before school watching him like a hawk or holding his hand until he's in his line and his teacher's there, to me, would be being overly protective.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm not talking about leaving him there 20 minutes before school starts.

Sorry picked you up wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

Hi , just saw this thread and felt I had to post , This is something I've often thought about myself . I send my kids to a school outside my vacinity , I don't drive so therefore they go by private bus each day .
    Bus will drop them at the school gate and they will walk up to the main door.
    School starts at 9.00 and the bus might arrive at 8.50 , so therefore they are unsupervised for those ten minutes .

I have been at school at this time a lot of times and there would be 100 or so students and parents walking in also .
    eldest daughter is 8 now and other daughter is junior Infant , 8 yr old brings jun inf into classroom by the hand .

I often feel guilty not being there if anything happened , if they tripped over etc. The reason I sent them to this school is because it has an excellent reputation and they are very happy there.

I have mentioned to OH about changing them to a school closer to home but he won't hear of it as they are doing excellent there.

I do collect them myself from the school in the afternoons though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement