Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Chemistry

• 05-11-2010 9:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone know any good leaving cert chemistry revision sites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

you should try the Khan Academy, some of his lessons are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Look for Chemguy on youtube.
    He's great for any topic but especially stoichiometry and organic chem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

Thanks for the suggestions... Also found a site called thebigtest.ie Good way to revise chemistry short answer questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Any body any good places to learn how to do chemical bonding and formulae? Having great trouble doing the dot and cross diagrams for bonding the big compounds like CH3CHO.

Run a search on youtube... There are some good tutorials there that you could use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Any body any good places to learn how to do chemical bonding and formulae? Having great trouble doing the dot and cross diagrams for bonding the big compounds like CH3CHO.
    We have to know dot and cross diagrams for...CH3CHO? Surely not!

EDIT: Just looked it up and apparently that's ethanal, which we haven't done yet. Maybe you do...but I doubt it.

You won't need it for organic chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

The main thing here is to remember that the carbon atoms are always linked in a chain and the others are attached in the order that theyre written. Also carbon must have four bonds, oxygen must have two and hydrogen must have one.

[Thats if you count a double bond as two and a triple as three...not exact but I hope you know what I mean...]

So the above is C to C with a single bond. Then three Hs to the first C [so the C has four bonds]. And the second C has a single bond to the next H and a double bond to the O.

Draw a line for each single bond, a double line for a double bond etc.
    And then every line consists of two electrons, one dot and one cross.

For the organic questions you just need to remember that every carbon has 4 bonds, every hydrogen 2 bonds and every oxygen 1 bond. After drawing a structure like CH3CHO check to ensure that every atom has the correct number of connecting bonds

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eva213

Eircom study hub has some good tutorials, if you're with Eircom.
    Does anyone know any website that has videos on Biology, Physics or Chemistry mandatory experiments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Eva213 wrote: »
    Eircom study hub has some good tutorials, if you're with Eircom.
    Does anyone know any website that has videos on Biology, Physics or Chemistry mandatory experiments?

http://chemistry.slss.ie/resource_category/view/1268

This is like a teachers website which i came across their stuff for experiments is pretty good and the physics page is pretty good as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

This is like a teachers website which i came across their stuff for experiments is pretty good and the physics page is pretty good as well :)

The link up above is excellent for the experiments.

- chemistry live!
    - rapid revision chemistry
    - exam edge
    - exam papers

your sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eva213

Cheers! :)

Advertisement