Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Galway in 2040?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Was at the Galway2040.ie event in GMIT today and they're looking for any ideas from the public on how they want Galway to develop in the next 30 years.... reckon this is a genuine attempt to reach out to the regular JJs to see what we think and since it'd be too easy and lame to sneer at it and be cynical that it's all about the filthy lucre, what about we send them some feedback and get involved... :eek:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

It's kinda ridiculous to call it 2040. I'd be much more interested in the way Galway will be in 2011, or 2012 than 30 years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

It's kinda ridiculous to call it 2040. I'd be much more interested in the way Galway will be in 2011, or 2012 than 30 years down the line.

BABM, it's called vision. Nimmo built some of the infrastructure around Galway and the city and it has lasted 200+ years. He wasn't thinking one or two years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One doesn't exclude the other. With a long term goal you can then break it down to several measurable short term goals while still keeping an eye on the long term goal.

biko wrote: »
    One doesn't exclude the other. With a long term goal you can then break it down to several measurable short term goals while still keeping an eye on the long term goal.

Of course, totally agree Biko, a vision isn't easily fertilised now and doesn't just suddenly hatch later and hey presto, out pops a fully formed vision. But I think BABM was suggesting (maybe I'm wrong) that visionary thinking is misguided and we should only always look to the myopic future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jkforde, I was there in the afternoon only, and was going to post to see if anyone else attended at what they thought: it seemed to me that the values behind many of the visionary ideas suggested fit my ethical perspective, but are a long way from where your average Padraic and Patricia are now.

Interesting to pick up a comment that they're planning to establish an on-line discussion forum as part of the process: wonder how many people they'll actually recruit to something short term to that vs hooking in with an established forum that's already got an audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

2012, panic, as it all goes to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Traffic will be a bitch in 2040.

blindpilot, scumlord - with respect, this place is full of wit in other threads.... is there aaaany chance that ye could bottle it just this once and be constructive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

jkforde wrote: »
    blindpilot, scumlord - with respect, this place is full of wit in other threads.... is there aaaany chance that ye could bottle it just this once and be constructive?

Fair enough. Apologies guys. Although there was a little seriousness in my post. I wonder what can be done about it in years to come. Especially on the west side of the city where it really is bad at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Monorail FTW. Make sure whatever transport happens that it bloody well goes out to the Airport on a hourly basis, we still dont have this service to/from the Airport in 2010, idiots.

7AE3D07F985C404197FCD25EBF179813-0000336624-0002014889-00500L-2DD91EA248834AD6B74F1746A1C432B3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Also while im at it another poster talked about the Rivers that will overflow, this is a Nationwide issue, if there was more balls and less bickering in Local Govt/Council and National Govt the Rivers/esturys/inlets etc whatever would be deepened and dredged overy 5 years.

I wonder if the city will have doubled in population in the next 30 years like I think it did in the last 30.

A Galway of 150,000 people would be very different to the Galway of today.

There would probably be a lot more pedestrianisation and quality bus corridors across the city.

And hover cars

ya, population projections say 250,000 - 400,000 by 2040 so something radical is going to have to be done alright. all the reports and such are going up on the website in the next few weeks so keep an eye on that if you want details of the ideas that were concocted by the various groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Roma's workin' the streets from hoverboards.
    Travellers finally feeding their horses..... in pill form.
    Rocket ships slowing to a crawl on the quincentennial bridge once it rains for more than a few minutes.

mikom, any real world ideas?

without being a freakin pain in the hole about this but can we not have one thread on here where the display of one's infinite wit isn't the default currency?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

With those population projections,now is the time to start planning new suburbs of suitable density to make high speed rail connection viaible.

ya, it's time we demanded top notch public transport facilities in this town. the latest development plan has already gone through the public consultation stage so it's too late this time around but all the councillors are on the ole email... www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/

I would have thought an extensive tram system would be better unless all development takes place on a Galway-Oranmore-Athenry corridor.

A population of 250,000 would probably have sprawled out beyond the proposed outer bypass making it an inner bypass like the new bridge.

Hopefully all theses extra people will be living in proper urban areas rather than sprawling out into the countryside as one off rural houses.

Existing houses and estates nearer the centre would have to be bulldozed to push up the density. I don't think I would like very tall buildings here (>10 stories)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread reminded me of something I've been meaning to do a long time, see the new sticky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ya, population projections say 250,000 - 400,000 by 2040 so something radical is going to have to be done alright.

The population projections are utterly ridiculous. 400,000, don't make me laugh.

Since 1980 Galway City has gone from say 50k people to 80k. It will likely hit the 100k but no more. The county has 200k now including the city.

I reckon that yer Tuams and Ballinasloes will shrink, Galway City will grow. Short distance commuter towns ....certainly no further out than Athenry.. will grow too.

But the population of the entire county will not exceed 250,000 and half or more of them will be in the City or within 10 miles. In 1980 less than half the population were in the city or within 10 miles of it...Oranmore Barna Moycullen and Claregalway were crossroads...not villages..back then.

A sprawl of 120,000 people from Barna to Athenry might justify one luas style line east west ....in 2040 and ata pinch.

We will need the bypass first to remove traffic from the city so that we can cycle and walk in it and dig up the streets for trams.

For electric cars one needs fairly clear roads, they take to long to charge you see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galwayrush wrote: »
    With those population projections,now is the time to start planning new suburbs of suitable density to make high speed rail connection viaible.

Done before: Aradaun.

Comments made yesterday by someone from GMIT about the possibility of high density living area which made it possible for people to walk most places were fascinating. However the more I think about them, they're just not what Irish people seem to want. Which means that planning for the future would really be about huge attitude change for the population.

There were also assumptions about social inclusion that I don't believe the majority of Irish people really support at all.

I didn't hear the economics part of the discussion, but would be more interested in starting with where all those new people would work, and planning the living around that.

2040 is pie in the sky imagination land. Why not just put all the valuable information we have right now into action instead of dreaming about what others might do sometime down the line when this conference is long forgotten about.

We have the technology and knowledge right now that would seem so alien to people it would be like moving 10 or 20 years into the future if we made use of them today.

ScumLord wrote: »
    2040 is pie in the sky imagination land. Why not just put all the valuable information we have right now into action instead of dreaming about what others might do sometime down the line when this conference is long forgotten about.

We have the technology and knowledge right now that would seem so alien to people it would be like moving 10 or 20 years into the future if we made use of them today.

sure, but like Biko said, vision and current action aren't exclusive. do you think infrastructure projects, like the national motorway scheme, were planned 2 or 3 years before they were started? they were planned 10-15 years at least. forward planning or vision, what term we use is a mute point. the point of this 2040 initiative, and others growing around the place, is getting the likes of us thinking and directly involved in the decision making process instead of coming on here in 20 years time moaning that 'no one bothered to ask me my opinion at the time'.

but completely agree with you on your second point, in a sense we are living in the future if we just grasped and demanded it!

time for all of us to get off our comfy pontificating fence where we Irish love to smugly sit... (sorry, end of rant for rest of thread!)

Could we impose some sort of grid on the city?

sure, but like Biko said, vision and current action aren't exclusive. do you think infrastructure projects, like the national motorway scheme, were planned 2 or 3 years before they were started? they were planned 10-15 years at least.
    The vast majority of that time is wasted on bureaucracy and politics. Such and such is complaining about it, the local TD wants it put through he's brothers land so he'll get a big pay off, then there's the issue of who gets the money, I mean the job to do the work. A road could be planned and built within two or less years as the research is done the skilled labour knows how to do it and the supplies can be shipped from just about anywhere in the world in about 2 weeks.

I'd agree that a vision is needed, a clear and definite goal, at the minute or leaders are running around like headless chickens with no idea where they're actually going with their decisions but still, by the time 2040 comes around if we haven't done the work there'll be no saving us, we'll be falling head first into a food and population crisis that can't be solved.

Maybe it's just that the website is so cryptic in that it's not giving any reasons to turn up. It's lacking any real information on what will be going on at the show it looks like any other brochure website for one of these pay on the door shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Could we impose some sort of grid on the city?

That could be done with new suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Whatever else needs to be done, don't try to copy Dublin. Not because its a unreachable, but because it's been used as an example of how not to do city planning at the European level.

To be honest though any serious effort along these lines is going to need cooperation at the national level, for funding if nothing else, including a complete shakeup and consolidation of the various ineffectual councils and committees around the county, and it should move beyond the concept of Galway as the living waxwork tourist town/permanent stag night student houseparty/FDI partner, which is again dependent on national vision.

Are there any other examples of successful revamps of medieval cities into modern metropoli we can look at for comparison, surely the organisers have examples to present?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ScumLord wrote: »
    Maybe it's just that the website is so cryptic in that it's not giving any reasons to turn up.
    Sadly typical of local authority beaurocracy, everyone is too busy trying to justify their jobs and advance their careers to actually achieve much of any use. As they say, if you can't blind them with brilliance...

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Whatever else needs to be done, don't try to copy Dublin. Not because its a unreachable, but because it's been used as an example of how not to do city planning at the European level.

To be honest though any serious effort along these lines is going to need cooperation at the national level, for funding if nothing else, including a complete shakeup and consolidation of the various ineffectual councils and committees around the county, and it should move beyond the concept of Galway as the living waxwork tourist town/permanent stag night student houseparty/FDI partner, which is again dependent on national vision.

Are there any other examples of successful revamps of medieval cities into modern metropoli we can look at for comparison, surely the organisers have examples to present?
    They could just avoid the city centre leave it as the unique medieval town that it is and build modern living centres just outside it with proper roads and infrastructure. I've seen enough of gutting old buildings, developments tucked into corners and clogged transport networks.

No more estates and housing either they're the worst form of living accommodation out there.

• Advertisement

sigh...this thing has nothing to do with the local authorities.. this is business and civic groups coming together to generate ideas and to distill some of those into tangible action on the ground. why lazily knock something that you obviously don't understand? comfy on the fence is it?

and on the day the planning part of it highlighted the fact that the centre is untouchable and all new infrastructure must be high density with civic-led project management. keep an eye on the website, all their reports will be on there soon.

Advertisement