Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARGOS 30 DAY MONEYBACK GUARANTEE?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

A friend bought a playstation 3 from argos 2 weeks ago and after the 1st week it freezes on games or wont load games.It was returned to argos and the manager refuses to give a full refund claiming the contract is with sony and not with argos.When sony were contacted they said the issue is with the point of sale.Where do we go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You go back to argos with the PS3 in your hand all boxed up and looking like you got it. Don't leave without a Refund or a Replacement. That's your right as a consumer. Do it asap.
    They should do it there and then. You may have to call Sony just to verify the fault and see have they a solution, a firmware update might fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

it has latest firmware 3.50

Go back tomorrow and demand your money or a refund. The console is to new to accept a repair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A friend bought a playstation 3 from argos 2 weeks ago and after the 1st week it freezes on games or wont load games.It was returned to argos and the manager refuses to give a full refund claiming the contract is with sony and not with argos.When sony were contacted they said the issue is with the point of sale.Where do we go from here?

Look at the consumer websites and print off the sale of goods act 1980 and bring it with you back to Argos. If they still won't do anything, write to them threatening them with the Small Claims Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

What if there's a fault with the product?
    We've made it easier!

If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a replacement or a refund.
    If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair it or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.
    Please note that all large kitchen appliances are excluded from our 30 day moneyback guarantee, but if your item develops a fault within 30 days call us on 0044 845 6400800 and one of our advisors will assist you with your problem. If faulty and if it cannot be repaired we will arrange a replacement free of charge or you can opt for a refund.

This doesn't affect your statutory rights.

Important information
    ^If a product is excluded from our 30-day money-back guarantee, it is clearly marked with a †
    Our 30-day money-back guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.
    *If you don't have your receipt, as long as you have proof of purchase, we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers.
    + If you had your item delivered your order number counts as your receipt/proof of purchase
    We're sorry but some items like earrings, foot spas and dental products can't be exchanged or refunded for hygiene and safety reasons, unless they're faulty.
    To protect your personal security, we're also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.
    Please note all video games consoles are excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. Please ensure you read the specification on the box before installation. We also cannot accept returns for video gaming software under our 30 day money back guarantee if the plastic wrapping has been unsealed – this does not affect your statutory rights.

http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

and more

Q6. I have a faulty product but the store policy states they won't accept returns after 28 days. What are my rights?

The retailer cannot put a time limit of 28 days on the return of faulty goods. This period generally refers to the retailer's policy regarding consumers exchanging goods that are not faulty.
    The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 covers faulty products. While this does not stipulate a time limit for the return of faulty goods, it is the consumer's responsibility to act promptly, bearing in mind the cost and expected lifespan or "shelf life" of the product.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

The console was hardly used(an early xmas present) but the manager made an excuse that ps3 are known to crash.Friends so pissed off with argos after sales service that he doesnt want a replacement just a refund and to buy another console from gamestop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

the contract is with the seller i.e ARGUS

bring it back asap and quote the consumer act, if he refuses again tell him/her they are breaking the law regarding your consumer rights and do not leave until you get you're refund.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Make_a_Complaint/How-to-complain/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

Your friend is not entitled to a refund but Argos should definately be giving them a replacement if not a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

i opend a thread like this ,

i got a ps3 slim, 250gb , a week later it crashed freezes playin games , braught it back to gs and it worked perfect when i braught it home they said it was a update problem , but an hour playin it it crashes again , and keep gething told there all like that that theres nuthing rong , so no repair or exchange for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You both should be bringing those back for either replacement or refund. Don't accept any BS about "they're all like that". If that's the case, the PS3s simply don't work, and therefore you deserve a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

You gotta get loud, start shouting at them and throwing stuff around. make sure the customers buying stuff, see what it's like should they have to return something later.

They will quickly give you whatever you want to shut you up and get rid of you. if it don't work, get your money back no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Spacedog wrote: »
    You gotta get loud, start shouting at them and throwing stuff around.

Utter nonsense, the worst advice possible. Acting like an idiot will not get you anywhere, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

You gotta get loud, start shouting at them and throwing stuff around. make sure the customers buying stuff, see what it's like should they have to return something later.

Ridiculous advice. When I was working in retail someone who did as you just suggested would be told to leave the store. If they didn't they would be removed. Doesn't matter if they are in the right with regard to the product they bought,if you start acting like a yob you should be turfed out.

If the OP is in the right and protected by consumer law then that is all they need and they will get the result they desire in the end if they are entitled to it,acting like an idiot and a child will not help matters.

You gotta get loud, start shouting at them and throwing stuff around

The only thing i'd be throwing is you out the door. : )
    I might even make a citizens arrest, any shop can subdue you with reasonable force and lock you up until the Garda arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

yeh , cant realy take it back now as my dog ate halfe of the control and a good bit of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

The only thing i'd be throwing is you out the door. : )
    I might even make a citizens arrest, any shop can subdue you with reasonable force and lock you up until the Garda arrive.

Haha no they can't lock you up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I am amazed at how many people i come across that do not know their rights as a consumer. this is where the problem is.

never get angry. just explain to them that you know you're rights as a consumer and do not leave until you get the refund/replacement you are entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

antocann wrote: »
    yeh , cant realy take it back now as my dog ate halfe of the control and a good bit of the box

You should take the dog back for a refund, repair or replacement, it's obviously got something wrong with it.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They will quickly give you whatever you want to shut you up and get rid of you. if it don't work, get your money back no matter what.
    maybe not hte best of advice?

op have a read of the information here and here then take the whole unit back to the shop as they will need it back whatever happens!

they can repair or replace or refund you your money.(you don't have to accept argos vouchers!)

if they fail/refuse to offer either repair replacement or a refund of cash or refund to your credit/debit card you may have to start a case in the small claims court. dont panic though as this is an easy thing to do and just starting the proceedings usually changes a company's mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

You go back to argos with the PS3 in your hand all boxed up and looking like you got it. Don't leave without a Refund or a Replacement. That's your right as a consumer. Do it asap.
    They should do it there and then. You may have to call Sony just to verify the fault and see have they a solution, a firmware update might fix the problem.

Just on this point. This isn't necessary and you have to be careful with shops that try and use this as a get out. Having something in resaleable condition is only applicable when you are using some goodwill return scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

.Friends so pissed off with argos after sales service that he doesnt want a replacement just a refund and to buy another console from gamestop.

If they have offered a replacement then they are upholding the consumer rights option, if your friend refuses this then all he is left with is a broken PS3 he has no right to demand a refund.

Advertisement